Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got this great tenor at the house that I'm selling for some people...

I've been making the usual videos showing how the horn plays(and wow!! I wish I could afford this horn!!)...i felt my D finger bumping into something.....I tightened up my technique so that wouldnt happen,and didnt give it much thought....today i decided to see what the problem was(i mean,you dont exactly look at your right hand while playing,do you??) and its a bridge between the D and E key

here's the pics

i thought it was a little trill key a first and started experimenting using it as a key....Ill be darned...its a tight little alternate fingering...only useful application I can find for it is a quick jump back and forth between F and D....

Anyone else ever fool with this???

the horn,coincidentally IS amazing...im posting on Ebay today,and will provide a link

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
My BA alto (1936) is like that, the E and D keys are locked together.
It's not meant for any alternate fingering, it's simply the key stopper (is that the right term?) that's in front instead of being behind the keys.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
You have a very early Balanced Action alto or tenor. On those horns, the bumper stop for the low D key was implemented in the fashion as on your horn. Very poor design. Didn't last long.

Nothing special, just a crappy design experiment that fortunately didn't continue.

·
1,337 Posts
Forgot to add that my BA tenor has this 'bumper stop' for the low D key and while I don't like it, I've never had it removed or modified. Serial on my BA tenor is in the 22,xxx range; one of the early ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I'm juggling with the idea of having this modified on my BA alto.

I'm limited in my choice of fingerings for altissimo G and I can't play the F# multiphonic....

·
1,337 Posts
I'm juggling with the idea of having this modified on my BA alto.

I'm limited in my choice of fingerings for altissimo G and I can't play the F# multiphonic....
Yes, that's the biggie I don't like - interferes w/altissimo fingerings. However, I don't play altissimo on tenor, so isn't a huge deal. Would be a real problem on alto, tho. That said, I don't care much for early BA altos, so am not likely to be caught in this predicament. I have a modern alto, so am ok here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts