Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While watching a dvd on great sax players, I noticed one guy who played the soprano without any breaks for taking a breath. He was playing with some snake charmers in East India. His cheeks were swelling up with air and it was very uncoventional looking. I have heard that Kenny-G can do this. Can this breathing style be used playing a tennor or is it only limited to the soprano? How do you do it? Could someone please explain this to me in a technical sence? Thank you!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
It's called circular breathing and yes, you can do it on tenor. Harry Carney even used to do it on Bari with the Ellington Orchestra.

Here's the basic principle. While you're playing, fill your cheeks with air. Then use your cheek muscles to push air through the horn instead of your lungs/diaphragm. While you're doing this, quickly inhale through your nose. Resume blowing from your lungs/diaphragm. Repeat whenever you need a breath.

Start by practicing with a straw, blowing bubbles in a glass of water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Agent27 said:
It's called circular breathing and yes, you can do it on tenor. Harry Carney even used to do it on Bari with the Ellington Orchestra.

Here's the basic principle. While you're playing, fill your cheeks with air. Then use your cheek muscles to push air through the horn instead of your lungs/diaphragm. While you're doing this, quickly inhale through your nose. Resume blowing from your lungs/diaphragm. Repeat whenever you need a breath.

Start by practicing with a straw, blowing bubbles in a glass of water.
Thank you very much!

C

·
0 Posts
If you can't master circular breathing, you can always take up the bagpipes. Which in my mind , is the only wind instrument that you need continous airflow for. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Toobz said:
If you can't master circular breathing, you can always take up the bagpipes. Which in my mind , is the only wind instrument that you need continous airflow for. :D
didgeridoo

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You should also consider the following instruments who (usually) require mastering this technique:

* Alboka
* Arghul
* Didgeridoo
* Duduk
* Hornpipe
* Kaval
* Kèn bầu
* Khlui
* Launeddas
* Mijwiz
* Mizmar
* Ney