Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cracked me up.

There's a guy selling a Vito Japan Alto "$375.00 Buy It Now or Best Offer." The ad says "make a reasonable offer." And, "comes with case and "tools." etc.

So I sent the guy two questions: what are the "tools?" And "How can I make a 'reasonable' offer if the bottom line is already established."

The guy responds with a statement to the effect; "I don't appreciate your rude tone. I blocked you from my ad. I don't want to sell to you." [rolleyes]

Is that the nuts? I don't want the horn at nearly any price. But I am fascinated to learn what the "tools" are.

Ah yes, EBay. Meet the smartest sellers here. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
The only Vito I saw with "tools" had a MAKE OFFER button. Do yo have a link? Maybe we can ask him a few questions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
the way a buy it now or best offers works is.....

you can buy it now for the buy it now price.

or the seller is willing to look at a lower offer. I think you get three chances to present offers to the seller.

I have bought a few saxes for less then the buy it now price by using the ability to make offers. The seller can also make counter offers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Ah yes, EBay. Meet the smartest sellers here. :) And Buyers

Sorry I couldn't help it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
There's a guy selling a Vito Japan Alto "$375.00 Buy It Now or Best Offer." The ad says "make a reasonable offer." And, "comes with case and "tools." etc.

So I sent the guy two questions: what are the "tools?" And "How can I make a 'reasonable' offer if the bottom line is already established."
I thought you were done with Ebay? But besides that, offering an item at a buy it now price with a provision for make your best offer is pretty standard on Ebay these days. Without seeing the listing myself to see if a genuine error was made by the seller, on its face, your issue seems to be a non-issue; and also seems to show an unfamiliarity with how Ebay operates.

I also block potential bidders that ask questions or make assertions that I find to be unreasonable, or reveal potential problems that may arise should I choose to deal with them. Maybe you need to truly avoid Ebay.

·
26,005 Posts
Well, there you go. A normal buy it now with a provision to make a lesser offer. If this is the auction in question then this is certainly not worth calling someone an "evil seller". It's simply a situation involving a potential bidder who is unfamiliar with the workings of Ebay and displayed this to the seller with his questioning.

To the OP, I'd ask the moderators to delete this one to save further embarrassment.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
What do you mean by bottom line? This looks like a bona fide ad. You can make an offer, i will either be accepted or not.

Or maybe I'm missing something. (It has been known)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
I wanted to know if there was a price he'd be happy with. Apparently he took umbrage at that question as well.
To be fair, that isn't the way that haggling works.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Y'all!

Hang on a minute! Ease up! Note my very first sentence; "This cracked me up!" I thought the ad was pretty funny and the guy's responses were well, not what a motivated seller would do.

Even though I'm not about to buy a horn from ebay, I still "graze" the site to find what prices are. This particular ad got my attention. That's it, That's all! Please don't read more into it than what's there. I found it funny that the deal includes "tools." I asked the guy what they are. He became torqued. End of story.

·
26,005 Posts
Even though I'm not about to buy a horn from ebay...
That's fine in wasting your own time, but if you're not going to buy an item from a seller, don't pester them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Looks like it comes with an old school all metal Reedguard. I love those things.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow. I too was curious and asked the seller about the "tools" and other equipment with the horn and he told me to F*@# off. I'll be sure and do business with him in the future.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. I too was curious and asked the seller about the "tools" and other equipment with the horn and he told me to F*@# off. I'll be sure and do business with him in the future.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one to get the brush from that guy. Gotta wonder what's up with him. Its a genuine question requiring a simple answer and yet the guy gets bent out of shape. At least he didn't block you - yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Looks like a perfectly normal ad to me. The description is informative and written in acceptable English. I don't get it. The OP asked the seller how to make an offer? There is "Make Offer" button.

I have sold quite a few horns on eBay. Yes, it is a nuisance answering all the "how much is shipping to Poland?" questions I get everytime. But I dutifully answer them because I have a horn to sell and some guy in Poland is looking to buy one.

But do I put up with smart-alecky questions? Not a chance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad to know that I'm not the only one to get the brush from that guy. Gotta wonder what's up with him. Its a genuine question requiring a simple answer and yet the guy gets bent out of shape. At least he didn't block you - yet.
He can go ahead and block me because I told him I was no longer interested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
I have a screwdriver in my case. The top comes off and there are a few different straight bits in there and a pad prick. I might have used it once or twice in twenty years or so. I've shown it to other players to make them jealous. That's why I bought it, I was on the road once and a guy showed the one he had to me and made me jealous of it. Maybe the seller means something like that as far as the "tools" thing goes. I wouldn't pass up a deal like that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a screwdriver in my case. The top comes off and there are a few different straight bits in there and a pad prick. I might have used it once or twice in twenty years or so. I've shown it to other players to make them jealous. That's why I bought it, I was on the road once and a guy showed the one he had to me and made me jealous of it. Maybe the seller means something like that as far as the "tools" thing goes. I wouldn't pass up a deal like that.
Exactly why I was asking. This guy seems to have a problem with questions and just wants the saxophone gone, no questions asked.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts