Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any recommendations for super strong flat springs? The JL Smith flat blue springs are really not great IMHO, and the Kraus springs are great but don't get too strong. I'm looking for vintage bari sax palm key type stuff.

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
I use the Ferre's type blued steel flat springs.
Some vintage horns have springs that may be a bit short of oddly positioned. Sometimes a relocation will help a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Getting back on track, Oric's suggestion is right on. Ferree's flat springs are the strongest and best tempered. Don't even bother with Pisoni's flat springs, they suck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Just read "bari palm". Get the longest thickest ferree's flat spring and move around the craddle. works like a charm and using a longer spring makes you feel it's not that hard action while getting a tight seal. A shorter thicker spring may close with the same force than a longer one but when it comes to feel, it will feel like trying to bend a railroad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
1982 Chevy leaf springs.
The idea is not as flippant as it sounds.
In the past I have backed up flat springs with another....just like the rather primitive semi elliptic leaf springs on the back of a Chevy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts