Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently played with a tenorist who sounds very flute-like. He said he used subtone and a very fast small vibrato. I have a naturaly dark sound (like a cello) and I'm trying to learn how to do this flute-tone.

I play a P.Mauriat System 76 tenor with either an ebonite Vandoren V5 T25 MP or a metal Otto Link Tone master 6* MP. Reeds are V16 3,5 and Red JAVA 3.

Any tips or videos of other "flute-saxophonists" would be very much appreciated. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to have this sax player teach you how to do it, or does he live too far away?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
I think your first (and possibly only) step is to work on a good subtone, not just in the lower register where it is often heard (as in the exercise linked below), but over the entire range. It may also help to make sure you are playing near the tip of the mouthpiece. As well as helping with the subtone this will also help with smooth unobtrusive articulation and shaping the oral cavity.

(N.B. Another subtone technique is to take in more mouthpiece, however for what you want I believe that less mouthpiece will do the trick)

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-subtone.html

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is kind of what i'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW8Ei8Fr_mI
At around .46 she gets some really sweet longer notes. This but more breathy I guess?
Not impressed. I haven't played the soprano for some years and when I started to practice again I sounded like that. When I was through practicing, my wife commented: "You really are out of shape on that soprano, aren't you?"

If you want to sound like a flute, use a harder reed and a deader ligature (Rovner or BG).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
What I really want to know is how to get my flute to sound like a flute.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
I have a naturaly dark sound (like a cello) and I'm trying to learn how to do this flute-tone.
Just an aside, but I wonder how many tenor players with a weak, thin, 'flute-tone' would give anything for a naturally dark sound like a cello!! To my ear, the tenor sax is much, much, much closer to a cello, thankfully, than a flute. But I guess the "grass is always greener."

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I think your first (and possibly only) step is to work on a good subtone, not just in the lower register where it is often heard (as in the exercise linked below), but over the entire range. It may also help to make sure you are playing near the tip of the mouthpiece. As well as helping with the subtone this will also help with smooth unobtrusive articulation and shaping the oral cavity.

(N.B. Another subtone technique is to take in more mouthpiece, however for what you want I believe that less mouthpiece will do the trick)

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-subtone.html
Did you hear the youtube link?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
This is kind of what i'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW8Ei8Fr_mI

Yes, I am perfectly aware that she plays a soprano... :p
Treeblast, that really doesn't help much, given it's a soprano. Here's a gentle suggestion: Since you are talking about tenor, why not find a tenor player whose sound you're after and post a clip to give us an idea?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I've learned how to do it, sounds pretty neat on my classical mouthpiece. Had a good laugh at all the mockeries too, I guess it's bound to happen considering my vague description :p. No offense taken.
You guys/gals seem like a helpful bunch! See ya'll around!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Flute on Tenor?

Dig Popkin. Some guys call it "taking the reed out the sound" or something. And to really blow your mind look for Warne Marsh - Art of Improvising Vol 1 - 2. Just like Lester Young all over again. Pres was playing a metal mouthpiece on those great Basie recordings with that soft fluid tone. Warne was probably using something akin to a Brilhart Tonalin/Ebolin...didn't really play metal till the mid 60's.

As for Popkin, I don't know what mouthpiece that is.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
I think I've learned how to do it, sounds pretty neat on my classical mouthpiece. Had a good laugh at all the mockeries too, I guess it's bound to happen considering my vague description :p. No offense taken.
You guys/gals seem like a helpful bunch! See ya'll around!
You're welcome. Any soundclips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts