Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This has taken me a while to find, but after much soul searching I have sold all my surplus pieces and got hold of one of these on a one week trial.

I rushed home tonight, and play tested, boy, am I pleased.

I was using a Selmer c* but it was starting to close up and sound harsh up top, so sought advice, I got harder reeds, and the character went. So I switched to my Jody Jazz 5HR, which is nice, but again harsh when pushed. I have tried every reed I can, but still harsh....

This Gregory was mine for £150 ($300) which was a lot of cash, but they don't come up very often and I thought I would give it a go.

Have a listen here, both played with a Rico Royal 2.5, no EQ, just a sprinkle of reverb. I try and play the whole range. No altissimo. Both on my '57 The Martin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=646818&songID=5896855

The Gregory is first, followed by the Jody for comparison (AT ABOUT 2mins 20secs). As you can gather I am after that Art Pepper/Desmond vibe, and I can see why they both played the Gregory.

It is the first mouthpiece I have ever tried that is radically different to the Meyer/Jody Jazz types. It has a HUGE chamber, and the 4 feels more like a moder 5 or 6, but it is simply awesome, rich and bassy with enough cut when pushed. Tuning is spot on too.

I am happy man......no more studying facing charts...... or scouring ebay....

What do you think?? I think the Martin and this Gregory were made for each other..... ahhhhhhh how sweet!

On a technical note, what makes it sound like this? I am now worried about chipping it or something, what in particular gives it this deep and lovely sound?? Advice please from you gregory experts....

It is dark brown, has "MASTER" then BY Gregory HOLLYWOOD, then 420M stamped, it has a brass ring around the base.

Can you tell I am in love:D ?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
sounding good on the gregory, but, not being harsh or anything, the tone was quite harsh to listen to, and in some places (I dont know if this is just you, or how you react to the mouthpiece) you tended to scoop the notes a bit.
but it was MUCHHHHHH better than the JJ, try moving the reed further up the tip a little, or getting slightly harder reeds, that should take the edge off the sound and it should sound really nice,
nice playing!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,935 Posts
I disagree about "harsh" - that works for me. I liked it. I understand that the "scooping" etc. is just seeing what the 'piece will do and it sounds like you are getting along well with it already.

Congrats!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SearjeantSax said:
sounding good on the gregory, but, not being harsh or anything, the tone was quite harsh to listen to, and in some places (I dont know if this is just you, or how you react to the mouthpiece) you tended to scoop the notes a bit.
but it was MUCHHHHHH better than the JJ, try moving the reed further up the tip a little, or getting slightly harder reeds, that should take the edge off the sound and it should sound really nice,
nice playing!
Thanks, good idea. I seem to have developed this harshness in the last 2 months or so, maybe I am just over-blowing. I am still searching for the reed that gets rid of it, it seems that the jump from 2.5 to 3 is too much for me. I have tried ZZ's and V16s in 2.5 and they are even harsher. I got some Vandoren blue box 3's and they are like lollipop sticks! Maybe I need to try 2.5 blue boxes and just work my way up!. I have just got some Rico Royal 3's but these are too tough at the moment as well :). Gary suggested Alexanders, but they are difficult to buy in the UK (2 months waiting)

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated!
 

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
Joined
·
4,272 Posts
I love my Master Model. Best alto piece I've ever tried including more than a few Morgans and Lambersons. Sweet and pure tone good for Jazz and legit.

Sorry, I can't listen to your clip here at the office (no speakers).
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
Thanks, good idea. I seem to have developed this harshness in the last 2 months or so, maybe I am just over-blowing. I am still searching for the reed that gets rid of it, it seems that the jump from 2.5 to 3 is too much for me. I have tried ZZ's and V16s in 2.5 and they are even harsher. I got some Vandoren blue box 3's and they are like lollipop sticks! Maybe I need to try 2.5 blue boxes and just work my way up!. I have just got some Rico Royal 3's but these are too tough at the moment as well :). Gary suggested Alexanders, but they are difficult to buy in the UK (2 months waiting)

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated!
1. try trimming your current reeds bit by bit so you can find a strength that suits you AND you don't have to go out and buy a box which could turn out to be wrong.
2. where are you in the UK, i can get alexanders from my local store off the shelf, tell me what you want and I could try and get you some and post them to you, OR, you could use REEDSDIRECT, a mailorder system for the cambridgeshire area, depending on where you live
http://www.reeds-direct.co.uk/
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SearjeantSax said:
1. try trimming your current reeds bit by bit so you can find a strength that suits you AND you don't have to go out and buy a box which could turn out to be wrong.
2. where are you in the UK, i can get alexanders from my local store off the shelf, tell me what you want and I could try and get you some and post them to you, OR, you could use REEDSDIRECT, a mailorder system for the cambridgeshire area, depending on where you live
http://www.reeds-direct.co.uk/
Thanks Sarge, it was Reeds Direct with the 2 months waiting! I placed an order for some 3's and they took a week to come back to me. I am in Leicester, but travel around a bit, so I would be interested where you get yours from.

I never thought reed trimming was for me, but I think I will give it a go, good advice. I love the response and feel of the Rico Royals, so worth a shot! BTW, when I say Blue Box, I did not mean I got a whole box, more of a reference to the type (i.e not ZZ/Java/V16) BUT I did get whole boxes because I am optimistic by nature :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
oh right, reeds direct is from WWR (wood wind and reed) in cambridge, my local store, i think they also have them at Howarths in London, I am there on most Saturdays.
try trimming, just very VERY thin threads of material off the tip bit by bit and you will get a very personal perfection which will be just right for you.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
Sorry to say this, but I liked the JJ better . . . more edge, not as breathy as the Gregory. But, to each his own. I'm sure both have their role to play. DAVE
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave Dolson said:
Sorry to say this, but I liked the JJ better . . . more edge, not as breathy as the Gregory. But, to each his own. I'm sure both have their role to play. DAVE
I like breathy :) Don't say these things Dave, I was just putting the JJ in THE drawer.......(marked ebay).

This is a bit like introducing your new girlfriend to your mates and one of them saying "She's nice, but where is ****? I always thought you two looked great together......."
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,204 Posts
I liked the sound of both. Can you have one piece that does both sound conceptions?

If you listen to my alto sound, I think you'll find that it's pretty much in the Pepper/Desmond bag, but I get much more flexibility of sound (brighter, more complex when pushed) with my RPC 90R.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hakukani said:
I liked the sound of both. Can you have one piece that does both sound conceptions?

If you listen to my alto sound, I think you'll find that it's pretty much in the Pepper/Desmond bag, but I get much more flexibility of sound (brighter, more complex when pushed) with my RPC 90R.
Yes, but you have chops of steel to play a 90. I am selling my SR Tech .85 because it made my lips bleed and swell to three times their normal size.

My wife was unusually interested in this side effect, reckons it is is cheaper than collagen
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,811 Posts
Ok, shall I start commending your technique which has been growing fast and very well ever since you posted your first attempts? I am a big fan!

Having said that (yes you've guessed it right, these kind of introductions always come before the low blows.... :) ) I have to say that I wasn't particularly impressed by the Gregory, it is nice but not to my taste.

Very clarinet-like (uncanny at times!) in the medium-high range, nice in the low range, altogether an old fashioned sound .

The JJ is also not my cup of tea but at least it is a saxophone sound through and through . The sound of this is " harsh" (it " splatters" a little) and it would be good for someone playing funky.

You definetely need something else to suit your style.

You are, I think, a balladeer at heart so you probably need something to help you go that way. Me, I seek a sort of Desmond-ish sound, but Art Pepper is nice too ;) but I am a very long way from your skills...:)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
milandro said:
You definetely need something else to suit your style.
)
Right, I have decided, the Jody Jazz, played under a medium weight blanket:D

It is limiting, live performance wise, but at least it conceals the sore lips from trying to play the SR tech.

I value your opinion Milandro, and I really like the old fashioned "clarinet" sound, so you have hit the nail on the head! It is not everyone's taste, but the sound I have in my head......
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,204 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
Yes, but you have chops of steel to play a 90. I am selling my SR Tech .85 because it made my lips bleed and swell to three times their normal size.
Try taking in more/enough mouthpiece to make sure that you're not manually making the tip smaller with your lips/embouchure.

Swollen bleeding lips gone.:)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Joined
·
38,811 Posts
crazydaisydoo said:
I value your opinion Milandro, and I really like the old fashioned "clarinet" sound, so you have hit the nail on the head! It is not everyone's taste, but the sound I have in my head......
You probably think too much of my ears but I am blushing! :D ;)

However if this is what you want.....aren't you happy you've got it? :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
Matt: Do what I do, take several mouthpieces along in your case. Then, when the room fits a certain sound, pick the one that repsonds the best in that room. By the way, how IS that old gal? DAVE
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
Joined
·
5,183 Posts
Nice, Matt. It sounds like you already have better control of the Gregory than the JJ. That's close to the sound I hear, too.
 

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
Joined
·
3,832 Posts
I also liked the JJ better than the Gregory. I heard a better core and a little more focus with the JJ...still rich, highs were clear and all registers sounded better defined.

It's interesting to note that Art Pepper played on similar mouthpieces in his career. At first a Model A Gregory 4A18M...then switching to a Runyon Custom later in his career (very, very similar to the JJ Classic...except the JJ has some 'improvements' in its design). While some people think his later stuff had a harsh sound, he was still quite capable of that beautiful tone quality. Ultimately, I like playing a mouthpiece that is the most versatile...here I think the JJ wins on that category.

I think you can still get that softer, sweeter tone with the JJ...I heard it in the clips...but when you need to push and get more edge and brightness, the JJ will be right there with you.

Good luck and you sound great!

Saxaholic
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top