Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tinkering with recording - and I've got a decent mike, but the sound quality is not that great -I think it's primarily due to my middle of the road soundcard (doesn't even have a line in) that's in my 4 year old pc.

The PC is plenty good enough for the job (I built it back then - so it's built right ) but I would like to upgrade my soundcard to something that has a good line in and good sound quality.

Is the best card out there the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi extreme music?

Or are there a few other choices out there I should look at?

(I'm not looking to dump a ton of money -just looking for something that will do a really good job.)

TIA,
John

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
probably the best way to go is to get a USB or FireWire external audio interface.

You can get the M-Audio FastTrack USB at Sweetwater for about $100. It will give you one XLR mic preamp, but no 48v phantom power, so if you want to use a condenser mic, you will have to use an external phantom power supply, or get a mic which has an internal battery.

The M-Audio Fast Track Pro gives you two mic pres, with 48v phantom power available, two more line inputs, and MIDI I/O if you want to connect a keyboard to your set up. It runs about $200.

The nice thing about the M-Audio interfaces is that they give you the ability to add Protools recording and editing software to your set up when you are ready to take on real recording capabilities.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Also look at the Yamaha MW-10 and MW-12 USB mixing console and audio interface. This works incredibly well, clean and quiet with great drivers and is a two bus mixers as well. I use this for audio and a simple M-audio Midi interface when I need to record midi in. It comes with a lite version of Cubase too.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have just been through this exact isue. I have a Rode K2, which is a variable polarity valve mic and I was patching it through a cheap (Behringer) mixing desk to my equally cheap mic input on my laptop soundcard. Not good.

I've just bought a proper mic preamp called a Konnekt 8 by TC Electronic which uses Firewire so it bypass my rubbish soundcard entirely.

The difference is nothing less than staggering! The sensitivity and the accuracy of reproduction is incredible and I haven't had to press any buttons or twiddle with settings (not my strong suit). Also the case is made of sturdy metal so hopefully it will prove ot be quite robust.

I strongly recommend this product, which was in turn recommended to me by and bought from these guys whom I've known and trusted for my studio requirements for the last 6-8 years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card, about $99 US. the monitor mixer lets you route the inputs and outputs which is very nice. NOt to mention the nice A/D converters.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Rick Adams said:
I have just been through this exact isue. I have a Rode K2, which is a variable polarity valve mic and I was patching it through a cheap (Behringer) mixing desk to my equally cheap mic input on my laptop soundcard. Not good.
Not Good, and not surprising - go Mixer to Line In - basic soundcard mic inputs are horribly unsuited to the line level output signals from the mixer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
DougR said:
Not Good, and not surprising - go Mixer to Line In - basic soundcard mic inputs are horribly unsuited to the line level output signals from the mixer.
And if it had one I would've done :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts