Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I am , at present, in China in a business trip and I bought a Taiwanese Horn ( Soprano ) made by Gulf Musical Instruments... I am looking for a mouthpiece. I would like to have a sound like Stan Getz had in Tenor ( i know that soprano is quite different instrument than Tenor...but as is so difficult to describe a sound ( mellow, dark, bright.. means different to everyone) I would like to sound in a way as sound produced by Getz in his Samba Years....any suggestions, please?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hi All:
I am , at present, in China in a business trip and I bought a Taiwanese Horn ( Soprano ) made by Gulf Musical Instruments... I am looking for a mouthpiece. I would like to have a sound like Stan Getz had in Tenor ( i know that soprano is quite different instrument than Tenor...but as is so difficult to describe a sound ( mellow, dark, bright.. means different to everyone) I would like to sound in a way as sound produced by Getz in his Samba Years....any suggestions, please?
It's difficult to imagine what Getz would have sounded like on soprano. I don't remember ever hearing him play soprano. I would try mellow classical pieces like the Selmer S80 or Rousseau.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Martin : If you had to choose only one...5C or 4c ?
Reasons ? Many thanks for your response

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't agree with the yam tbh. I have a 5C, it's a beginners piece, helps you to get all notes out across the horn, but once you develop it becomes a bit boring, even harsh and Getz was nevr either of those.

I think one of the hard rubber pieces, like a few suggested in the thread I started a couple of days ago (suggest me some mouthpieces, in this forum).

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi All:
If you already have a specific idea about the sound you wanna get on soprano, I'd suggest you get in touch with Joe Giardullo of sopranoplanet.com. He will also take into consideration the horn you play, your favourite reed and so on. I just got my refaced stock Meyer back and I'm totally satisfied!

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
I think you need to choose a mouthpiece for intonation and control first. Then you will be free to concentrate on getting your desired target sound. Most mouthpieces sound alike when you do not push them. Fortunately, Getz rarely wails so you have a shot with any mouthpiece design IMO.

I would guess that Getz used the Selmer mouthpiece that came with his VI soprano. But this is just a guess. The video is too blurry to tell but it could be a Selmer MP.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,959 Posts
Beautiful! I didn't know Stan Gets soprano's sound and it is everything that I love and try to achieve (but probably never will......) in my very modest soprano playing.
By the way the music is also very atmospheric and modern and definitely has a " latin" flavour to it.

I am currently trying to achieve this type of sound on my curved Bauhaus Walstein with a Selmer Super Session F and 3,5 Francois Louis reeds (maybe I need a larger opening because I need to work a bit carefully in the high register not to choke the high notes)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
I vote for a Selmer S80 too - I've got a D. When I bought it I compared them with different sizes Yamaha, and with a S80 C. The D has a surprisingly breathy sound to it in the lower register, very warm and full. I play it with Rigotti 3.5 reeds (they are an important part of the mix too).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
Here's Getz on soprano.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wvtd_stan-getz-be-there-then_music

Most soprano mouthpieces have squeezed throats. I'd think that if you want a Getz-ish sound on soprano, you'd want something with a large chamber. I know Aaron Drake sells a large chamber soprano piece.

https://www.drakeceramicinstruments.com/Large_Chamber_Soprano.html
regardless of mouthpiece selection,its still what you might expect from stan getz, beautiful phrasing, and tone, but for waht its worth a selmer or link would both give a good sound i would of thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
one of Doc Tenney's modified HR links would be a good place to start

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All:
I am , at present, in China in a business trip and I bought a Taiwanese Horn ( Soprano ) made by Gulf Musical Instruments... I am looking for a mouthpiece. I would like to have a sound like Stan Getz had in Tenor ( i know that soprano is quite different instrument than Tenor...but as is so difficult to describe a sound ( mellow, dark, bright.. means different to everyone) I would like to sound in a way as sound produced by Getz in his Samba Years....any suggestions, please?[/QUOTE hello i have the sound of stan getz i use a 4c

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm no beginner, and I play a 6C. I suppose, then, that the label of "beginner's piece" (whatever that may mean) only applies to the 5C.
As for the 6C, I never get bored playing it, and I'm constantly learning new ways to coax out its latent subtleties.
And as for how to play the soprano like Stan Getz: the answer cannot be found in the mouthpiece but rather in the mind.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually , I opted to buy the 4c and 5c ( because of the low price ) and try both of them to find wich one fits better. As Betelsax says the sound ins not in the mouthpiece but in the mind... ( I spend hours driving to my job , going back and forth and I use to hear in my car Stan Getz and Paul Desmmond , to have their sound in my inner brain...! )
but sometimes it is not possible to obtain the sound if your mouthpiece is not helping..
I discovered a channel in youtube of a saxophonist living in England, Matthew Stone ( Crazydaisydoo) who plays the sound i would like to have in soprano ( and also in tenor)...I recommend to hear him ... you will be pleased with his performance
best wishes

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I'd disagree that the yamaha pieces are just for beginners

I prefer the yanagisawa hr pieces
I use my yani 5 if I need to play for 2 -3 hours, for around an hour I'll use a Link TE 6*

Could try one of the rpc sop pieces.
There not advertised on the web site www.saxmpc.com but can be ordered.
If I remember correctly they are a squeeze throat.

Humbardi , Matthew is on here
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?25204-crazydaisydoo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts