Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the delay folks. Post recordings, critiques and comments of this month's TOTM here....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Re: SOTW Tune of the Month, July 2010 - Night and Day

Wasn't that the May tune?

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: SOTW Tune of the Month, July 2010 - Night and Day

Ooops.... trying to catch up and didn't notice the date on the request in the other post.... corrected now...

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Re: SOTW Tune of the Month, July 2010 - [insert name of tune here...]

Was the final decision a blues of the poster's choice?

·
Registered
589 Posts

Folks, it's the blues, and Dr Will can play the blues .... my signature tune in fact .... Wills Chills ....

www.berkeleyscience.com/jam/lydian/WillsChills.mp3

and a 'studio' version with an added bridge ...

www.berkeleyscience.com/darlyn/willschills.mp3

I'm always looking for ways to spice up my blues playing, and after discovering the usefulness of the whole tone scale last month I'm already practicing throwing whole tone licks into the blues, at the I7 chord in bar 4 and on the V7 in bar 10 and the turnaround.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts

Smokin' DrWill. That's what i'm talkin' about!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts

Nice take Dr. Will, sounds like you've got them...

Here's a a blues in 11/4. It's an unreleased track from a trio I play in called "Joe-Less Shoe".
The trio is bass-less, just guitar (Jamie Rosenn) drums and tenor. I use and octaver on part of the tune emulating a bass part.
Strangely, the drummer Jason Harnell wrote the song by singing all the parts into a cassette tape which I transcribed. We're almost done with the artwork for the album which should be out by September.
Matt

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/Equal%20Knocks%20SOTW.mp3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,451 Posts
Matt - Great groove and solo- when you can groove an odd meter , you know it's a winner . Please put me down for an album .
DRwills - I can hear Dexter a lot , really enjoyed it

I just put a blues on myspace , too lazy to even play a head and i'm afraid it goes on a bit .

http://www.myspace.com/david.wright

·
Registered
536 Posts

Yes, I nominated blues any style, I wanted to open it up a bit. Look forward to your take!

·
Registered
536 Posts

Dr Will- sounds great, loved both takes- nice guitar too. Seemed to me you played more freely on this

Matt Otto- I like that we have such diversity of styles already.At the start with the tenor/guitar sonority I was reminded a little of the 50s Jimmy Giuffre records, until the solo! The solo was fantastic- straight in with the altissimo. I had great fun trying to play along with this. I'm still trying to figure out the structure. I didn't miss the bass- great band

·
Registered
536 Posts
Matt - Great groove and solo- when you can groove an odd meter , you know it's a winner . Please put me down for an album .

I just put a blues on myspace , too lazy to even play a head and i'm afraid it goes on a bit .

great sound and ideas Dave, not too long for me! Thanks for posting

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts

Thanks Dave, heard at least 2 instances of Dexter Gordon (in terms of content)... nice.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts

Folks, it's the blues, and Dr Will can play the blues .... my signature tune in fact .... Wills Chills ....

www.berkeleyscience.com/jam/lydian/WillsChills.mp3

and a 'studio' version with an added bridge ...

www.berkeleyscience.com/darlyn/willschills.mp3

I'm always looking for ways to spice up my blues playing, and after discovering the usefulness of the whole tone scale last month I'm already practicing throwing whole tone licks into the blues, at the I7 chord in bar 4 and on the V7 in bar 10 and the turnaround.
Good rolling feel. Very scat like. Honking sound too.

Nice take Dr. Will, sounds like you've got them...

Here's a a blues in 11/4. It's an unreleased track from a trio I play in called "Joe-Less Shoe".
The trio is bass-less, just guitar (Jamie Rosenn) drums and tenor. I use and octaver on part of the tune emulating a bass part.
Strangely, the drummer Jason Harnell wrote the song by singing all the parts into a cassette tape which I transcribed. We're almost done with the artwork for the album which should be out by September.
Matt

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/Equal%20Knocks%20SOTW.mp3
The octaver is an interesting effect. I'd be curious to hear the sung cassette version just to compare. This thing truely goes to 11 :) I was happy to turn up the volume.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts

Love the crisp articulation and the way each note pops. Well done.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Wow this has kicked off nicely now :)
Very nice blues Dr. Will.
Matt loved that original blues, very catchy too. I think you could afford to bring up the volume on the sax just a tad. Lovely tone. If you need any artwork..................:)
Very nice Dave too. Smooth and relaxed vibe. Very nice professional looking website.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
David Wright, i really like your concept. You improvise like a composer, you develop your themes, play with an idea for awhile, and always with that soulful sound that you have. It wasn't too long for me either.

Matt Otto, now you have us looking forward to two new albums, the one which will include the song based on Embraceable You and now this blues. Your playing in this period is very beautiful.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Well; had a go at 'Ab Blues' this morning cos I'll be on holiday soon.
Not sure if it has an actual tune? So just noodling trying to get the feel. Don't usually do much blues.
Left some real duffer notes in deliberately for you to spot and cringe (yeah right!![rolleyes]:TGNCHK:) At least it helps you with what notes NOT to play!
Actually, listening to this again, I'm not sure this isn't really BAD!!

AFat Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WavAUauWUJM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,451 Posts
Laurel , that's really nice - very understated and classy.
Thanks Mascio , I appreciate you listening

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.