Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to WarrenScottRobertson for passing the torch.

This months tune is the timeless standard by Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz, Alone Together.

This tune has been recorded by everyone. Everyone should know it so I figured it an excellent pick for the TOTM.

I've got history with this tune also. I got my butt handed to me at the Annual Jazz Fest Jam session when Esperanza Spalding's band came down. They kicked off on this tune and I really had no business what so ever being up there with them. The counted it off at at least 200 BPM and when it came for me to take a solo I had no idea where we were or what to play. The result was mostly gyrations and an intense free form jazz squeek and squak fest.

I learned the Melody after that but never really got inside it. I figure it's about time and a great tune for others who might have been wanting to learn this one.

It's a ballad. It's a Bossa. It's a driving swing tune. A very versatile song with an interesting harmonic movement.

Versions of this song are more than plentiful. I have been digging this version by Orrin Evans

Here is a link with Backing tracks and Charts. I'm sorry I couldn't find a JPEG for the Eb Chart. If someone wants to send me one I can update the folder. Right now there's a PDF link to a Eb chart.

https://app.box.com/s/yw38nrnu1fex5ej1fxl10dubh7y9prfc

Happy playing everyone!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
I remember some of us (including me) also did it as Beginners&Intermediates TOTM back in Jan 2012.
Here is my recording from Jan 2012. I was just building up my vintage Otto Link collection in that time and recorded it on a freshly aquired 1970's metal Early Babbitt 12 (it's marked 11, but measures 0.150 inch). The recording is not very clean and I wanted to mix it a bit better now (knowing much more about that then years back), but I couldn't find the original Audicity files anymore :|. So here is the old low quality mp3:

- 'Alone Together' (Early Babbitt 12 - La Voz medium - 2012): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11360461

Hope to do some new takes this month on some newly aquired mouthpieces :).

·
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is my recording from Jan 2012. I was just building up my vintage Otto Link collection in that time and recorded it on a freshly aquired 1970's metal Early Babbitt 12 (it's marked 11, but measures 0.150 inch). The recording is not very clean and I wanted to mix it a bit better now (knowing much more about that then years back), but I couldn't find the original Audicity files anymore :|. So here is the old low quality mp3:

- 'Alone Together' (Early Babbitt 12 - La Voz medium - 2012): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11360461

Hope to do some new takes this month on some newly aquired mouthpieces :).
A classic sounding PeeBee take!

A Phat sound as always. Recording mix seems fine to me but I know what you mean about wanting to redo old recordings. Or remix them at least.

Good build in momentum without overplaying. It's a really laid back feeling but some of the notes in the middle of your lines are rushed which makes this push pull type of phrasing. Really nice altissimo. Not overshot and fat sounding.

3,315 Posts
Killer pick Littlewailer.........and also here is a extremely medium swing version for both alto(3:05 mins) & tenor(from the start) from one of the giants, Mr Stitt.

Phaaaaat!!!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
A classic sounding PeeBee take!

A Phat sound as always. Recording mix seems fine to me but I know what you mean about wanting to redo old recordings. Or remix them at least.

Good build in momentum without overplaying. It's a really laid back feeling but some of the notes in the middle of your lines are rushed which makes this push pull type of phrasing. Really nice altissimo. Not overshot and fat sounding.
Thanks Sean :).

·
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WSR - Dripping with tone and melody! Very nice. Not missing the backing as much because you outline the harmony so perfectly in these takes.

Mascio- Beautiful tone and very interesting angular lines. I really get the Spanish flavor in this one. Joe Henderson comes to mind with this take for sure.

I'll be working on my submission today. Going to do a video like last month. It takes a lot longer because I'm so picky and the video needs to be stopped and started also which is a huge pain. I should just do one or two tries and post whatever I get because this thread is about learning. But I think I'll probably be ripping my hair out a little.

3,315 Posts
Thanks LittleWailer, don't you go bald over it now!

WSR - Dripping with tone and melody! Very nice. Not missing the backing as much because you outline the harmony so perfectly in these takes.

Mascio- Beautiful tone and very interesting angular lines. I really get the Spanish flavor in this one. Joe Henderson comes to mind with this take for sure.

I'll be working on my submission today. Going to do a video like last month. It takes a lot longer because I'm so picky. I should just do one or two tries and post whatever I get because this thread is about learning.. But I think I'll probably be ripping my hair out a little.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts