Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through the archives, there was "blues anyhow, anyway" in July 2010, but about the closest we've gotten to an honest to goodness minor blues was Sugar back in 2011.

To keep things simple and fun, I think pretty much anything with a strong minor blues flavor is fair game. There's plenty of straight-up 12 bar minor blues tunes to choose from (Mr PC, Equinox, Stolen Moments, Chitlins Con Carne, One for Daddy-O, Five Spot After Dark).

I think it could also be a 16 bar tune like Nat Adderley's Work Song or even something like Midnight Voyage which has a longer form but definitely invokes a strong minor blues vibe. Dexter's Bikini Blues is a couple minor blues choruses with a bridge (i think), and Wayne Shorter's Footprints is another classic.

There was a thread about minor blues tunes a while back in another subforum
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?89221-Minor-Blues-Tunes

I know there are so many great standard tunes to choose from, but I'm hoping this will be one everyone can really sink their teeth into. I always enjoy hearing all the different approaches to the most commonly played chord progressions (All of You, Another You, Rhythm Changes, etc).

Thanks to Little Wailer for the suggestion of some "darker" material to blow over....

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Nice pick Shawn, I guess we will see a lot of variation in takes this month :).

We did "Chitlins Con Carne" as April 2011 TOTM in the Beginners/Intermediates thread. Will post my take from that round here later (when June 2013 really arrives :)) and also try to come up with something new.

Just added your thread to the main TOTM index: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...2009-onwards&p=1983729&viewfull=1#post1983729

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Dig Dis is actually a minor blues during the head and a major blues during solo choruses. Great tune by the way!
Yeah, I figured I'd throw it up here anyway. I've done it just straight minor blues without the stops for jam purposes. Starts to sound a tad like Comin Home Baby.

·
7,356 Posts
I just finished up a Minor Blues backing track in G if anyone is interested. It goes 2-5-1 in the Turnaround.

I'm gonna post a take over it and I'll put the backing up on youtube unlisted with a link so people can download it if they want.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love Stolen Moments...maybe the archetypical minor blues tune.

How about the first recording that I know of..."The Stolen Moment" from "Lockjaw" Davis' Whistle Stop album. Love the background parts during the tenor solo! Forget all the personnel, but with a sax section including Lockjaw, Nelson, and Dolphy hard to go wrong....
The Stolen Moment

When we learned to play Stolen Moments I listened to Blues and the Abstract Truth countless times. Really, that's the one that got me into Eric Dolphy.

This is not an "official" entry but this has to be my most hyperactive performance on a minor blues tune... complete with our lone screaming fan and a burning guitar solo by Ken Sieloff. He really cut loose on here! I didn't quite nail the horn parts the first go round, I had it voiced with the guitar on top playing the melody.
Stolen Moments live 1990

With June being my birthday month and lots of possibilities, I'm sure I'll chime in with a few different "minor blues" takes once things get going. Already recorded one tune.

·
7,356 Posts
I'm sure I'll chime in with a few different "minor blues" takes once things get going. Already recorded one tune.
Likely I as well. Save for the Birthday. I'm a Pices. I'm sure Davey will do a few too. You know how he is :twisted:

I probably will do this original backing and a take of footprints. It's a Minor Blues in 6/8 after all.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oliver Nelson, Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, George Barrow, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes. Talk about a "dream team"...

Stolen Moments is the opening cut. Every solo is a classic.

The Blues and the Abstract Truth (complete)

·
7,356 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5uP689J7IM&feature=youtu.be

Here's my original minor blues tune.

I'm really settling into my screen name. Lot's of wailing. I feel more at home doing this stuff. Maybe I should just practice the other stuff and make this the stuff that I market. Of course I don't want to scare away the jazz gigs....

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Here is my version of 'Chitlins Con Carne', as played in April 2011. Had just bought a metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS at that time and this clip was the first time I tried that mouthpiece (recorded after a few minutes play testing). Did mix the Berg take with an Otto Link Florida no USA 10* take to compare the sounds and put it on YouTube, with a picture movy showing which mouthpiece is played where (Berg starts, Florida comes at 3:03). Would have loved to mix the soundclip again with the knowledge I have now, but YouTube doesn't allow replacing a clip and keeping the same url and comments. The original soundclip doesn't have effects and is clipping a bit at places. Anyhow, here is the link:

- Chitlins Con Carne (Berg Larsen 150/2 - Florida no USA 10* [starting at 3:03] - La Voz medium reed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXjc3vWRVM
or

The backing track can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZXkGDhauU

Will record another 'fresh' minor blues type tune later this month :).

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5uP689J7IM&feature=youtu.be

Here's my original minor blues tune.

I'm really settling into my screen name. Lot's of wailing. I feel more at home doing this stuff. Maybe I should just practice the other stuff and make this the stuff that I market. Of course I don't want to scare away the jazz gigs....
Wow i'm amazed you had time to breath there.Yea that name suits you Sir.Yea your wailing hard Sean.Lots of nice stuff in there.Sounding good.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Here is my version of 'Chitlins Con Carne', as played in April 2011. Had just bought a metal Berg Larsen 150/2 SMS at that time and this clip was the first time I tried that mouthpiece (recorded after a few minutes play testing). Did mix the Berg take with an Otto Link Florida no USA 10* take to compare the sounds and put it on YouTube, with a picture movy showing which mouthpiece is played where (Berg starts, Florida comes at 3:03). Would have loved to mix the soundclip again with the knowledge I have now, but YouTube doesn't allow replacing a clip and keeping the same url and comments. The original soundclip doesn't have effects and is clipping a bit at places. Anyhow, here is the link:

- Chitlins Con Carne (Berg Larsen 150/2 - Florida no USA 10* [starting at 3:03] - La Voz medium reed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXjc3vWRVM
or

The backing track can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZXkGDhauU

Will record another 'fresh' minor blues type tune later this month :).
Nice stuff going on in there to the worlds most mp gas man.Would love to know how many great pieces you have.The Florida does it for me here.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sean - loved your original tune. Great shout lines in there and great "blued" performance. Definitely hitting your stride on that one!

Peter - great smoky sound and laid back vibe. Very true to the original feel on Kenny Burrell's wonderful Midnight Blue album with Turrentine. I might need to come up with another latin tinge selection, you really nailed this one. Loved the breaks, great line at 1.28. Some nice chromatic passing tones in there, very hip. Starting around the 5.00 mark I love that section very hip and melodic all the way to the recap. You sound great on both pieces, little more "in your face" on the Berg although the Link sound is a little more what I personally go for.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hard for me not to jump in with an early take. First one is straight-up at one of my favorite tempos. The melody section from another take the remainder was my first take, which seemed the most engaging.

Out of the Night

I'm sure I'll do a couple more versions, maybe something with some different rhythmic things happening, something brighter, maybe even something funky. Don't say you haven't been warned.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Davey and Shawn, thanks for commenting.

Nice stuff going on in there to the worlds most mp gas man.Would love to know how many great pieces you have.The Florida does it for me here.
It's not that bad Davey, I know guys who are worse!

I played for more then 20 years on the same Link (metal Early Babbitt 8*) and now since about 3 years on a Florida no USA 10* (or a same model 9 if my reed is too hard for the 10*). The last two are presently my outdoor pieces. I started collecting vintage Otto Link's (and got some other pieces on the way) about 4 years ago and now have one or more examples of all (vintage metal) Otto Link's in my collection. I like to compare and play around with them when making SOTW TOTM recordings, but I almost never play them at outdoor gigs or band rehearsals.

I currently own 28 pieces (26 tenor, 2 alto), from which 23 are Otto Link's (mainly vintage models, in different tip sizes, most original, some refaced). My collection is quite complete now, I'm happy with it as is. Didn't buy anything new since a year, but still check regularly for 'nice' oppurtinities (but without real GAS feelings!). Have about 10 really great pieces and my most important goal is (or should be :)) to learn to play them properly (but time and talent limits me in achieving that goal!).

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Davey and Shawn, thanks for commenting.

It's not that bad Davey, I know guys who are worse!

I played for more then 20 years on the same Link (metal Early Babbitt 8*) and now since about 3 years on a Florida no USA 10* (or a same model 9 if my reed is too hard for the 10*). The last two are presently my outdoor pieces. I started collecting vintage Otto Link's (and got some other pieces on the way) about 4 years ago and now have one or more examples of all (vintage metal) Otto Link's in my collection. I like to compare and play around with them when making SOTW TOTM recordings, but I almost never play them at outdoor gigs or band rehearsals.

I currently own 28 pieces (26 tenor, 2 alto), from which 23 are Otto Link's (mainly vintage models, in different tip sizes, most original, some refaced). My collection is quite complete now, I'm happy with it as is. Didn't buy anything new since a year, but still check regularly for 'nice' oppurtinities (but without real GAS feelings!). Have about 10 really great pieces and my most important goal is (or should be :)) to learn to play them properly (but time and talent limits me in achieving that goal!).
Sounds like pure Otto Link heaven there.Keep enjoying them and go on spoil yourself and get some more.I'm a complete new horn guy every few months.Doctors have no clue with my case !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Peter - I hope you have the house locked up when your out traveling and good documentation of all those for insurance purposes. Nice collection.

It shouldn't be surprising my ear gravitates to the Florida #10 so often, since that's your main piece you would have a high comfort level on it. That's probably a reason why I havent done an alto take for a good while...just so much more dialed in with my tenor setup.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts