Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I thought I'd go in a little different direction than last month.

The tune for this month is Sister Sadie, by Horace Silver https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Sadie
From the wiki page, there have been a few notable artist versions of the song.

The backing and charts will be up shortly.

Here's the Horace version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eSzsJKn8FM
I taped this song (onto cassette...) from the radio back in high school days, not knowing what it was or who it was by. I've always enjoyed it, I hope you do too!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Nice pick- the guitar player I play with often likes to start with this one-

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Eldavo, nice tune! A classic! However I have never ever played it. I am going to cut my teeth on it this month and see
if I manage to turn it in a tolerable recording somehow. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks PB!

Cool, do you think you'll be able to get a live version this month?

Cheers,

Dave
I'll try! Last time the trombone player's wife was there to take a video. To be honest, I sure post a better solo when I can play a few and pick the best one! And put on a little reverb...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
@Ballad State:

I moved this over from the other thread...

It's a nice rendition overall , and I enjoyed your use of repeated rhythmic motifs. Did you do a lot of signal processing on your track? I ask because at times your tenor sounds almost like a sampled/synthesized tone.

The one critique I have is improving on your swing feeling. At times it feels almost jerky and exaggerated, it should be more relaxed. I struggle with that myself.

Sent from my Moto X 2015 Pure Edition using Forum Runner

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I posted in the wrong TOTM. Apologies mr Peebee.. Too much Vodka last night.:)
Sister Sadie
1980,s YTS 62
In answer to the previous post ..
No sound manipulation. No Vibrato. Tiny bit of Reverb playing my
RS. Berkeley Chris Potter Legend Mouthpiece.

https://youtu.be/x0oieSE76Y8
Hi BSOM,

I'm not so fussed on the backing (a bit cheesy) but during the solo your playing took focus and then the backing didn't matter.

I enjoyed your long tones soulful first 8 then stepping on the gas a bit in the 2nd 8 onwards. Nice job, and thanks for getting the party started for this month!

Cheers,

Dave

3,364 Posts
Hi BSOM,

I'm not so fussed on the backing (a bit cheesy) but during the solo your playing took focus and then the backing didn't matter.

I enjoyed your long tones soulful first 8 then stepping on the gas a bit in the 2nd 8 onwards. Nice job, and thanks for getting the party started for this month!

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Dave
Thanks for the listen and comments. For this style of no. I usually go to the IREAL BT,s to sort out tempi and just left it in the rec. I'm surprised I'm the first to post a ver so late in the month, possibly Holliday time for most. I just got back after a holiday break myself, anyway.hope it picks up.:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts