Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all of you balladeers out there, here's a chance for you to shine. This month's tune is "Everything Happens To Me."

I know a few of you didn't feel comfortable with last months tune so when mascio asked me to choose this months tune I wanted to choose a tune that more members would feel comfortable performing.

Looking forward to hearing all the participants!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
We are more interested in Your version Nef! :mrgreen:

PS: great call chayjazz.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Sounds phenomenal! Now, about those lead sheets and backings... lol. This one seems to not be in my realbooks.

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry folks but I had to create this thread without the links to the MP3 file and lead charts. For those that need a backing track and chart, PM or email me.

[email protected]

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,093 Posts
Very nice Charles. You get my vote for "king of the double-time runs". You play a great run and I think "Oh yeah, nice" but then you keep it going and I think "Whoa, that's awesome!" but then you keep it going even longer and I think "this is sick, is he ever going to stop" at that point I start sweating and getting nervous thinking "will he be able to pull this one out of hyper-drive" and then you just swoop right out of it into a beautiful melodic phrase and the whole time you made it sound like you were so relaxed. Beautiful alto sound also.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Very, very nice. I like the sparce flat sound. Takes big cajones to be that exposed and have the composure and calm to cary it all off with such a good tone. Sets a very high standard indeed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Charles,

sounds great! I like your relaxed attitude, even in the double time phrases. Fits well with the rhythm section. I also like your choice of notes.

BTW: Do you know the Charlie Mariano version of that tune, also on alto :)? Veery nice, and about the same tempo. It's on Elvin Jones' record Dear John C. (1965 I think).

Cheers,
Alexander

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Yeah Charles, sounds beautiful man, great rendition and a great call for the TOTM.

Here's a too long version of mine:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9600362
Wonderful tone, nice phrasing, good note choices etc., etc. One little niggle that's probably just my opinion, as a ballad it somewhat disjointed and I think would sound better if played more legato. Very fine playing and certainly much better than I could do.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Alright Jeff.. Real nice take bro. I LOVE your sound man!! (ps.. it wasn't too long for me. i enjoyed every minute of it.)

I tried to get a complete take that I was happy with, but I just gave up after about 10 takes.
maybe I'll try another later on in the month. I'll have plenty to study with all the present and future submission.

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout Jeff! Great take (definitely not to long)! Beautiful, big sound. I definitely hear some Dexter influence in there. I wish I could get that type of sound out of my Tenor but I just don't have it in me. Some great phrasing also....

Yeah Paul, killin' it bro!!! I love the way you use a variety of different rhythms in your lines (something else I need to work on). Beautiful tone and great ideas. I'll be listening to your take a few more times through out the month.

Thanks to all that have listened to my take. I want to do a Tenor take on this one also. I'm not that busy this month so we'll see what happens.

I feel we're gonna get some killer performances on this one...can't wait!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
Jeff, Paul, and Charles, three beautiful takes. Three distinct personalities, different approaches to the harmony and time, but the same fantastic musicianship and jazz feeling. That is some beautiful playing by all three of you. i agree with madav, it is a real "Master" class.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Fabulous tune. Love the Frank Sinatra version. Can't wait to try. Still having trouble posting comments when listening to v early. I'll see if this one posts............
Great versions there though. Gutted couldn't participate.
Anyway Chay fabulous and smooth and so swingingly confident. Really flowing natural rhythm there.
Saxguy beautiful indeed. Loved the little touch of reverb. Wanted to hear you do more longtones, with that killing tone. Tease!!

1 - 20 of 206 Posts