Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Just thought of a new name for here, Swing on the web !!!!!!!!! I am a funny guy,,,,NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Davey, I really would like to work a bit more on that difficult head, but study- and playing time is almost zero here this month (that's why I already posted a quick and dirty take earlier this month). Hope some others will post before the end of the month.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Davey, I really would like to work a bit more on that difficult head, but study- and playing time is almost zero here this month (that's why I already posted a quick and dirty take earlier this month). Hope some others will post before the end of the month.
You done a version so no worrys there.I for 1 attempt each pick and theres a few I don't really like but as a full on working pro you have to adapt to all styles.Its a tricky head for sure but like the demo I done of the head stripped right back it can be done and still sound funky.Thats my take on it.Alot of folks might of had a crazy month so if so I understand as time is always the key and of course we all want our spare time woodshedding.No worrys what so ever but a few more versions would be nice.

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Had some time for a quick listen:

@StrongD - Dave, great take played with a lot of energy and drive. Nice Ben Webster shake at 2:47 :). Missed some building up in the solo. Beautiful contemporary tenor sound, fits the tune perfectly.

@IanSax (short demo) - Ian, can hear that this is fully your cup of tea :). Love the tenor sound, theme played very well.

@Borganiboy (first take) - Fun to listen too, but didn't sound like a saxophone to me with the wah wah effect (more like Donald Duck meeting the TOTM in my ears :bluewink:).

@fsaxwas9 - Shawn, you came a bit further then I did with your quick and dirty take. Can hear your soul was not really into this take, still good stuff to listen too.

@dctwells - David, good to hear you nail this style too, very nice take and some great lines in your solo :).

@littlewailer - Sean, very nice take and bluesy vibe. Your sound seemed much more smooth than normal (effects?). (EDIT: explained in your posts #44 and 51, I prefer your raw sound.)

@Borganiboy (second take) - Davey, liked this one much better than the first take, full speed right from the top :).

@Borganiboy (third take) - Davey, now we're talking :mrgreen:! For me your best version of the three without doubt.

@robscott - Rob, good to hear you, always great quality in what you post :). I'm just not in that kind of electronical sound stuff, but that's a personal thing.

@mrpeebee - Hmmm, playing some Arnett Cobb licks over Brecker stuff... Ahh, it's just me, of course :mrgreen:.

@PowerOfSoul - Howard, good to hear you posting this. Good job with the head, nice take to listen too. Preferred the lsat part of your solo were you stayed 'inside'.

@IanSax (full take) - Ian, listened to this one a few times in the car (only way for me to try to get the theme in my ear). Loved your take and very strong tenor sound (the brightness fits this type of tune), liked it much better than the sop part with the wah wah effect.

Didn't see my sax much this month and won't see it anymore till the end of the month, so no further trials from me in this thread.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
@mrpeebee, yea I tried a few ways.I like the 3rd also.Cheers for the thoughts.

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
So here is my version of "Inside out" (or "Inside oot", depends where ya from), I added a bit wah-wah to the soprano sax to emulate the trumpet but none added to the tenor, and a little reverb on both saxes [...]

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr89bQHX3hI&feature=player_detailpage
soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ian-t-thesaxman71/inside-out-brecker-brothers
Loved it... really excellent! Solid, hard-hitting head, and I really dug the soprano solo with wah, tastefully done & just right for the mood here, and full of interesting and compelling lines. Also loved the tenor sound and lines, harmonics and stuff toward the end were fun and appropriate too...possibly interrupting the musical line a bit but also adding a landmark to the solo... Pay no attention to PeeBee re soprano versus tenor... you know he's gonna go for the tenor, he's a hardcore honker :bluewink: ... just kidding, of course we all rightly value Peter's opinion, but for me anyway your soprano and tenor both RULE! Way to go... I'll be listening again... (Sorry for belated post but I've been swamped with rehearsals (not on sax...)... and also, thanks so much for your encouragement re my take...wish I'd gotten a chance to do more in Sept. but am psyched for Chelsea Bridge too...)

Howard

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Pay no attention to PeeBee re soprano versus tenor... you know he's gonna go for the tenor, he's a hardcore honker :bluewink: ... just kidding, of course we all rightly value Peter's opinion, but for me anyway your soprano and tenor both RULE!
Fully agree Howard, Ian is a great player on all his horns (but we all have our preferences :bluewink:).

81 - 90 of 90 Posts