Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a real hard think heres my choice for TOTM for Septembers tune.I wanted something fresh and just down dirty and funky.I've never played this tune myself and the head can be atad full on but some folks can miss out the double time licks in the intro and adapt it to be less busy.Theres not much on youtube apart from mostly the beasts Breckers ripping it up but i'm sure theres a lot of scope and fun and the important bit is its a good old change of scene and its a great bluesy piece.Heres the album version of the Brecker Gods.Special thanks to Iansax who passed me on the honour of the pick.i know he will be very pleased with the pick,,,enjoy :twisted:

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,483 Posts

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
i am in "Brecker heaven" and i am sure Dave you will lose count on how many times his name is mentioned too :lol::lol::lol: REALLY looking forward to this month and getting stuck into it, a great selection, top marks fella...

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just added the new tune to the main TOTM index: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...2009-onwards&p=1983729&viewfull=1#post1983729

Not really my cup of tea, but I will try for sure to find my way trough all those notes. It's good to (sometimes!) work outside your comfort zone :).

Arno (milachica), thanks for posting the backing track :).
I'm sure you will enjoy it.The bop stuff is not my cup of choice but like you say its good to work outside your comfort zone.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am in "Brecker heaven" and i am sure Dave you will lose count on how many times his name is mentioned too :lol::lol::lol: REALLY looking forward to this month and getting stuck into it, a great selection, top marks fella...
Mention the B wprd as much as you want.This choice is for both of us and any other B fans.I think theres going to be some roaring takes on this tune.Good to hear you like my choice.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here's my first quick attempt. This tune is hard. :) I'll probably practice it a bit and see if I can nail a few things down for a future take, but I couldn't resist doing a quick sightread, as I love this tune.

https://soundcloud.com/davefstrong/totm-inside-out

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's my first quick attempt. This tune is hard. :) I'll probably practice it a bit and see if I can nail a few things down for a future take, but I couldn't resist doing a quick sightread, as I love this tune.

https://soundcloud.com/davefstrong/totm-inside-out
Yea full on there.Great attack.No holds barred, very nice modern tenor sound.Sounds like your having fun.Wailing away and great altissimo soaring right up there.Loud and proud.

·
5,152 Posts
@StrongD - very nice version there, really like the edge, tone and energy in your playing.

Here is a totally rough mini demo, literally blew my saxes for a whole 5 minutes then recorded so tuning is a little out in patches but who cares, it ain't life threatening and will probably have a damn good blow before i record it next, i always like to have my 'chops' warmed up.
and i say mini demo cos i hit click and recorded in the time me and my mrs, (well she was making it haha) were making breakfast and had to stop to munch my 'getting cold' food, so full version to follow.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-t-thesaxman71/inside-out-quick-rough-demo

note to Davey,
can you pick TOTM for EVERY month PLEEEEAAASE, i know i am going to have lots of fun with this 1....woo hoo, I am in Brecker heaven!!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@StrongD - very nice version there, really like the edge, tone and energy in your playing.

Here is a totally rough mini demo, literally blew my saxes for a whole 5 minutes then recorded so tuning is a little out in patches but who cares, it ain't life threatening and will probably have a damn good blow before i record it next, i always like to have my 'chops' warmed up.
and i say mini demo cos i hit click and recorded in the time me and my mrs, (well she was making it haha) were making breakfast and had to stop to munch my 'getting cold' food, so full version to follow.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-t-thesaxman71/inside-out-quick-rough-demo

note to Davey,
can you pick TOTM for EVERY month PLEEEEAAASE, i know i am going to have lots of fun with this 1....woo hoo, I am in Brecker heaven!!
Hey I look after my fellow Geordie lad.Trust me on getting something funky and just well so full on in ya face and dirty.As said you were in mind on this choice.Enjoy and blow the roof off.

·
5,152 Posts
Hey I look after my fellow Geordie lad.Trust me on getting something funky and just well so full on in ya face and dirty.As said you were in mind on this choice.Enjoy and blow the roof off.
"let the dog see the rabbit" as we say from our neck of the woods ;)

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I picked the tune so heres my 1sy quick version of it.Had fun today on it.Playing on a new PPT hard rubber mouthpiece which i'm loving I must say.Well done Pete Thomas.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts