Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

Shawn gave me the opportunity to choose this month TOTM. I wanted an easy to play groovy tune and have choosen this composition of the great Jerome Richardson (see also this article by Tim Price for more information on Jerome Richardson):

(The) Groove Merchant

The theme has an A section of 16 bars and a B section of 20 bars. Solo's are only over the A section. The backing track has a 4 bar intro that is not in the Realbook score.

- Backing track (Bb concert key): http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1096451&songID=11090777
(Created by SOTW member Oilywrag)

- Scores:
In C for Bb instruments: The Groove Merchant (C for Bb instruments).jpg
In G for Eb instruments: The Groove Merchant (G for Eb instruments).jpg
(Old Real Book Vol 2, page 128)

- YouTube versions:

1. Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Big Band (head starts at 3:05, very nice sax section special chorus at 4:00)

2. Great all female Jazz Quintet 'Five Play' at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild:

3. Australian trumpet star James Morrison (amazing ending after 7:40!):

Looking forward to your posts :).

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I remember playing some great Thad Jones/Mel Lewis charts in college like US, Skylark (Brookmeyer's arrangement), but sad to say I don't recall this one.

Looks like The Groove Merchant will sort of pick up where Sugar left off... can't wait to hear all the takes on this one! Should be an awesome TOTM...sort of Doxy-ish, if you've ever heard Union Pacific from Marc Johnson's Sound of Summer Running, they strike up a very similar groove there. This is gonna be a BLAST!!!

Shawn

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember playing some great Thad Jones/Mel Lewis charts in college like US, Skylark (Brookmeyer's arrangement), but sad to say I don't recall this one.

Looks like The Groove Merchant will sort of pick up where Sugar left off... can't wait to hear all the takes on this one! Should be an awesome TOTM...sort of Doxy-ish, if you've ever heard Union Pacific from Marc Johnson's Sound of Summer Running, they strike up a very similar groove there. This is gonna be a BLAST!!!

Shawn
I like that special sax chorus at 4:00 of the Thad Jones & Mel Lewis clip very much. Would be great if one of our multi-instrumentalist posters here on SOTW could redo that chorus played on all saxes (sop, alt, tenor, bari and/or something else) :mrgreen:!

I guess you mean this clip Shawn (sounds indeed very close to Doxy / Groove Merchant):

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Can't say I remember hearing this composition before. Sounds like a fun tune. Anyone got it in Eb (save me some transposing time please)? I'm feeling the baritone would be the goto horn here.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't say I remember hearing this composition before. Sounds like a fun tune. Anyone got it in Eb (save me some transposing time please)? I'm feeling the baritone would be the goto horn here.
TJ, I just found a free download of the Real Book Vol 2 for Eb instruments (http://www.swiss-jazz.ch/Real-Book/Volume-2-Eb.pdf) and added the Eb sheet (in G) in post #1. Looking forward to your bari take (and maybe some guitar too :bluewink:).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi PB, original choice, indeed.
I'm a total TJML Orchestra fan, and that video is a killer ! Richardson, Dodgion, Daniels (who's the other tenor far left ?) and Pepper Adams. The whole band is a LEGEND.
Mel Lewis' swish cymbal is irresistible, and the Master's great conducting is amazing. I've seen them once live in Geneva, end of 70ies.
How the hell do you expect us to do anything acceptable, unless doing it in reggae or scottish bagpipe waltz ? :|:mrgreen:

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dex, glad you like the tune :mrgreen:. No idea who the other tenor in the TJML Orchestra is. I'm sure you will come up with a great take (and I will post something like the Scottisch bagpipe waltz) :bluewink:!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe Henderson could be right. One of the comments under the clip says:

"With Joe Henderson on Tenor is problably the 1969 European tour that took the band to Basel and Paris among other cities. Anybody knows where to get the whole concert on video??"

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a version of the TJML Orchestra as recorded in 1969 in Rotterdam in The Netherlands. Around 3:50 the sax section is listed as: "Joe Henderson, Jerry Dodgion, Jerome Richardson, Eddie Daniels and Pepper Adams". It's clearly the same personal as in the clip in post #1 :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Wait a minute. I do have the Basel concert on CD (no video). And now you say it, the other tenor does look like Henderson. What a section. That soprano lead is unique.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I did a big band tour last year and we opened the second set each night with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis arrangement of this tune. That sax soli is tough!

Sax section in that video:

Pepper Adams - bari
Eddie Daniels - tenor
Joe Henderson - tenor
Jerry Dodgion - 2nd alto
Jerome Richardson - lead

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
After a couple crazy work-weeks on the road with a lot of late nights working, took a little break last night and had a little fun with this one after a few slices of pizza washed down with a couple of cold beers. May come back and revisit this one when I have a little more time...

Just slapped on an old plasticover 2 1/2 on my Berg Larsen for this one. It's actually not a bad comination, just a bit soft...May need to get some 3s, might be onto something...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1122869&songID=11097765

Btw, I did find the sax chorus...transcribed for trombone, in bass clef...
http://www.digitaltrombone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Groove-Merchant-sax-chorus.pdf

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@fsaxwas9 - The first one to post Shawn, and a very nice version. Your sound with this setup comes (in my ears) close to the great Hank Mobley (and some Al Cohn). Very relaxed timing througout the piece and good build-up of the solo. Some nice double time runs (3:11, 4:10) and a great double tone lick at 3:55. Some top tones didn't come easy, but the one close to the end (4:40) did. That could become easier with a 3 reed, but actually I liked your sound very much with this setput. Thanks for posting, you set the standard quite high :).

Also thanks for the Bass Trombone version. If I could read music well I would give it a try :bluewink:!

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1 on mrpeebee's review - Shawn, that's a nice sound you are getting with that set up for sure. Great ideas and you really picked up the ideas after that first chorus - yeah, and way to stick with it and nail the altissimo towards the end!

Could I just say, NICE LOOKING SAX THERE in your pic! - what is that beautiful looking axe?

1 - 20 of 157 Posts