Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Ken- nice take to start. Good head arrangement on the tune- was that real vibes or a keyboard patch? Cool instrumentation. Bass clarinet solo was solid- I would have liked to hear more- also it could probably do with being close miked to hear it better in the low and middle register in that kind of situation.
When I heard about this tune I had'nt thought of it as being a blowing tune, it's maybe because I play it once or twice a week in one of the bands I play in (Buble type band) but thinking about it more I could imagine how Sonny might have played it.
Anyway good job and thanks for posting ( and starting the thread!)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Nice take, Ken. I think it's actually a decent blowing tune that presents many possibilities. I like the soloing as well..

You could keep to the original flavor smooth yet smoldering, or go in another direction.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I guess folks are busy so I've taken the liberty to start the thread.

Here's my take to kick things off, on bass clarinet.:)
The recording had the vibe of a bootleg of a live performance, were you recording with a band? I'm like rolltrane, I never thought of this tune as a blowing tune (and I couldn't find any recordings of it as a blowing tune) but obviously it has some potential. I liked what you did on this.

edit: I posted this while listening and it became quite obvious that it was indeed a live performance as the recording went on, so please ignore my "duh!" moment :mrgreen:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice take Ken, each month you use a different instrument, interesting :)
am working on a another backing track for sway, will post it here soon ...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
Not in my real books? The head is easy anyway, but for other folks where is it? B

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

Rolltrane, the instrumentation was bass clarinet, wind synth playing the vibes sound, electric piano, electric drums, and bass. For the arrangement I just played a 3rd below the melody for the most part, and told the rhythm section the kind of Latin style I wanted and to stop-time every 8th bar. Yes the low notes could have been better miked. I was using the vocalists mic and I think it was already down as low as it could go.

Shady, one good thing about this jam is I feel comfortable playing different instruments each time. I play whatever instrument I'm practising that day, except if it's piccolo :)

I also didn't think this was a blowing tune, as I've played it as a somewhat cheesy big band vocal chart, but it didn't turn out too bad. Good to play something different once in a while.

BTW, thanks to Pete Thomas's post about placing your recording device at least the length of the instrument or width of band away, I got a better balanced recording than before when I placed the recorder closer (which was more convenient) and the drums were too loud.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Nice take Ken. After the sax I've always enjoyed the sound of the bass clarinet. Here is a little 2 minute version I did tonight(on tenor) > SWAY..I really like the flow of this tune and hope to do a bit longer/better version later in the month. Can't wait to hear what you guys will bring to this one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
here is a backing track i made for Sway using Sonar... this one is in concert D minor... i borrowed the drummer from the Chacha wave file in band in a box real drums folder... also i put the piano comping in the solo section from band in a box but i almost edited all of it.

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/download/233892_nrbc5/Sway Dm 01.mp3

the chords are a little dif. from those Wombat posted, they are almost the same but each chord last one measure, i feel that it is more soloing friendly this way.

the song goes A A B A
Section A:
Em7b5 | A7 | Dm | G7
Em7b5 | A7 | Dm | Dm

Section B:
C7 | C7 | F | F
A7 | A7 | Dm , C7 Bb7 |A7

This arrangement goes like that :
A A B A melody
A A B A solo 1st chorus
A A B A solo 2nd chorus
B A melody
The very last chord is G13#11

it sounds like an open jam on 2 5 1 4 in a minor key, always fun to play on these changes, that progression was being discussed few weeks ago here http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...m7b5-A7alt-Dm-(ii-V7-i)&highlight=progression that was from the same key too :)
(i substituted the Em7b5 in the last A section in the solo with C13sus, it will not make big difference while soloing, i guess penatonics can easily sound good there)
i didnt play test the backing track yet, it's past 5 in the morning here :mrgreen:
i will put the changes in a more friendly way soon.
if u like the track just tell me your fav key & i will transpose it to it.

Edit: link fixed, -hopefully- :)

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Very nice Ken, made me want to get up and dance :0) If you got a better recording set-up sound it would be great. I also think this one is a lot harder than it appears with real phrasing and style challenges.
Alan Ooo, very nice indeed. Very nice recording set up too, sounds very clear. Nice smoochy slow dance feel.
Thanks Shady.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i think one could try a lot of things with this... waltz meter, blowing over just the latin percussion, substitution of modal harmony during the blowing. But then Rosemary Clooney's take using the traditional arrangement is sure terrific...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaLEC7kDdE

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here's a second BIAB-generated backing track. Charts are on the Sept TOTM post. I hope I've gotten the soundclick stuff right.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1111184

I can try to change things in the backing track, so let me know if you have suggestions for improvement. (I don't know how to make the ending more convincing, sorry.)

Bob aka jazzwombat

Addendum: As requested, a 2 chorus version is also on my soundclick page

·
Registered
689 Posts
i think one could try a lot of things with this... waltz meter, blowing over just the latin percussion, substitution of modal harmony during the blowing. But then Rosemary Clooney's take using the traditional arrangement is sure terrific...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaLEC7kDdE
So I was studying the Clooney version along with the music written for us as mentioned above. She almost sing the verse as triplets rather than a quarter note and two eighth notes. I also listened to the Dean Martin version. It's much more "Mexican" feeling rather than "Latin", especially as you get further into the song. He sings it a closer to the notation given us - it's also worth a listen.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here's a second BIAB-generated backing track. Charts are on the Sept TOTM post. I hope I've gotten the soundclick stuff right.

I can try to change things in the backing track, so let me know if you have suggestions for improvement. (I don't know how to make the ending more convincing, sorry.)

Bob aka jazzwombat
Bob, thanks for making this track. I'm going to try my first TOTM this month. At my level of incompetence I'm sure I can't keep up a solo for 64 measures! Could you produce a shortened version with, say, with 16 measures of solo?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bob, thanks for making this track. I'm going to try my first TOTM this month. At my level of incompetence I'm sure I can't keep up a solo for 64 measures! Could you produce a shortened version with, say, with 16 measures of solo?
Yes, can do with one teeny tiny exception: Sway has a 32 bar chorus (A8, A8, B8, A8) by my view (as Shady described earlier). How about two choruses?

·
Registered
689 Posts

Bob aka jazzwombat

Addendum: As requested, a 2 chorus version is also on my soundclick page
Bob, I've tried following the score with your backing track. I get up to measure 32, that's easy, then 16 measures of solo but I'm lost. I'd like to know which measures/chords you are using through the solo and then where you pick it up again for the second chorus. Please and thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bob, I've tried following the score with your backing track. I get up to measure 32, that's easy, then 16 measures of solo but I'm lost. I'd like to know which measures/chords you are using through the solo and then where you pick it up again for the second chorus. Please and thanks!
Sorry for the confusion. I uploaded the same 2 chorus track but with melody added for your reference. It's really nothing more than what it says: 2 32-bar choruses of Sway. Take a listen. I think it will explain itself.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts