Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing this tune as the last thing on the program for my graduate flute recital in a few weeks (after the Bach, Mozart. etc.), so thought it would be a good one to practice on for TOTM. The only play-along I have is in F, but the only lead sheets I can find are in Ab (original key I think) and Bb-- but it's not to challenging to figure out anyway. I'm in the middle of a house renovation, so I'll make a recording as soon as I can get all my stuff set back up in a few days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esd9molqj0e8cnl/Blues%20In%20The%20Closet%20%28Play-Along%29.mp3?dl=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdwq7WUz2mA

edit- mrpeebee is coming to the rescue and will post the lead sheet in F soon--

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Here is a version I recorded in February 2016.

I didn't like the original backing supplied in that time and changed it from Ab to Bb (concert key, C for tenor), slowed it down for about 20% and added some EQ filter to get the annoying piano and drum a bit softer and the bass a bit higher in the mix. Still not really happy with that backing, but didn't have a better one on hand then.

- 'Blues In The Closet' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
https://www.soundclick.com/song/13313759

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Pete - Don't know if it is on my end or not but the link did not bring me to your version so I instead scrolled through your stuff until I found it as #242. Really nice work there, enjoyed it. Nice pick too by fellow Mainer Roundmidnite!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete - Don't know if it is on my end or not but the link did not bring me to your version so I instead scrolled through your stuff until I found it as #242. Really nice work there, enjoyed it. Nice pick too by fellow Mainer Roundmidnite!
Here's really cool version I might use as inspiration- I have a great drummer/percussionist who happens to be teaching at the university this semester, so it would be fun:

I had trouble finding Peter's version also- and where in Maine are you A Train? I'm midcoast.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Thanks Alan. :)

I had trouble finding Peter's version also- and where in Maine are you A Train? I'm midcoast.
To both: seems that SoundClick did change the URL's to all published songs on their site yesterday! Not so nice when you have over 500 songs on that site and stored the URL's in a spreadsheet for easy finding them back (the site itself is crappy for finding back songs).

Anyhow, this is the correct link to my mediocre attempt to play this song (I also corrected the URL in my original post):
https://www.soundclick.com/song/13313759

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
To both: seems that SoundClick did change the URL's to all published songs on their site yesterday! Not so nice when you have over 500 songs on that site and stored the URL's in a spreadsheet for easy finding them back (the site itself is crappy for finding back songs).
I reported the bug yesterday to SoundClick and they fixed the issue.

Both new- and old style URL's are working again now. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Here's really cool version I might use as inspiration- I have a great drummer/percussionist who happens to be teaching at the university this semester, so it would be fun and where in Maine are you A Train? I'm midcoast.
Wow, I really loved that version and I'm going to listen to it a couple more times..I am in Mechanic Falls.

Well I made it a year and a half without a cold/flu but am presently in the midst of a hum-dinger! Really stinks because I was hoping to try this tune. So far this thing has moved from throat to sinuses to chest..it's hard to blow the horn with all the coughing.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hi,
I enjoyed it so much playing this simple blues that I made two quick recordings.

The first is with flute: https://hearthis.at/taragot/blues-in-the-closet-flute/

The other with two bassflutes. I first recorded a walking bass line and then a second track with the melody and solo. One problem is that the bassline is often above the melody, but bassflute is only called bassflute....Please forgive me
https://hearthis.at/taragot/blues-in-the-closet-2-bassflutes/HQr/

PS: Preparing a solo recital, house renovation and a day job is a lot to balance, Sonja! All the best for you!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Very relaxed and bluesy playing, pobeda- congratulation for a very nice track! For my taste sometimes a bit too much notebendig. Otoh you have a of great moments while bending.
Very good overall!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Very relaxed and bluesy playing, pobeda- congratulation for a very nice track! For my taste sometimes a bit too much notebendig. Otoh you have a of great moments while bending.
Very good overall!
Mr. Taragot,
1. thanks for such a generous feedback :).
Say truth, I had fun during recording. First half is what I transcribed from Arnett Cobb... for me it is a perfect example of what is QUALITY vs Quantity, music wise.

As usually, had not enough time to play close with him... But just confirmed again for myself that playing with MASTERS provides enormous boost for progress. Want to play with Gene Amos note for note...

2. I enjoyed your flute versions. The air amplified noise (two flutes recording) "damages" listening (other recording techniques needed). But the ideas and flutes sound nature are cool.

Best...
Michael.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Taragot, that was beautifully done!! A thing I noticed about this tune is that it’s a simplified version of Powell’s Collard Greens and Black Eyed Peas. His signature bridge with its extended yet brief harmonies, along with his brilliant flashes in between the introductory melodic idea are very nice to listen to.

Hi,
I enjoyed it so much playing this simple blues that I made two quick recordings.

The first is with flute: https://hearthis.at/taragot/blues-in-the-closet-flute/

The other with two bassflutes. I first recorded a walking bass line and then a second track with the melody and solo. One problem is that the bassline is often above the melody, but bassflute is only called bassflute....Please forgive me
https://hearthis.at/taragot/blues-in-the-closet-2-bassflutes/HQr/

PS: Preparing a solo recital, house renovation and a day job is a lot to balance, Sonja! All the best for you!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay on recording myself for this- and I need to catch up with the latest posts from everyone. This is on flute since I'm doing it for the last tune on my recital. I thought it would be a fun one to end my recital with.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sorry for the delay on recording myself for this- and I need to catch up with the latest posts from everyone. This is on flute since I'm doing it for the last tune on my recital. I thought it would be a fun one to end my recital with.
Very good and mature track, Sonja! I dig your flute sound and like the downbends at the end of a phrase a lot. I should do that more because it sounds so cool! I like your outside the scale passages, too. I don't know who's in your jury, but I'm not shure, if classical trained musicians will get what you do there. When I think of my recital at the end of my studies (I only remember a hot summer day with 35° Celsius in the room and the flute slipping like crazy at my Mozart D major Concerto), they would have propably liked an easy finger snipping blues with a notated solo, but no advanced stuff. But perhaps this is different in the US.

All the best

@saxtec. Whoa, contrabass sax is way cooler than bassflute! Massive but swinging sound!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
So neat to hear these versions, especially from members! I haven't heard the "bridge" that I know yet. Sorry I'm not able to attach this. Might have to record myself. Anyone want to put this in the mix?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts