Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Davey (Borganiboy) has passed the torch on to me for this months tune of the month.

I thought I would take the tempo down a bit and choose a ballad. One of my favourites is Billy Strayhorns 'Chelsea Bridge'. Playing the melody always give me a good workout on tone.

Below is a link to 2 play alongs and jpegs of sheet music in Bb, Eb and concert:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B33pfnpI5AwRaG1nVjc5YmRLVjQ&usp=sharing

Click on file then click on 'down' arrow in bottom right of screen which gives you the option to save the file.

I look forward to hearing some takes on this one and I will try and do a few in the style of....

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,441 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,441 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I'll start it off with a little version I done last year.I will do a new version soon though.Its such a haunting tune and well picked by Rob.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Nice pick, and the Hell of a tune. I've been thinking about learning it for a while, so this will be the right time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Yikes that is setting the bar....very nice....I think I may try this one as the head is slow enough that I may be able to read it....but after your version I will be taking us down a few notches ....
I'll start it off with a little version I done last year.I will do a new version soon though.Its such a haunting tune and well picked by Rob.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Yikes that is setting the bar....very nice....I think I may try this one as the head is slow enough that I may be able to read it....but after your version I will be taking us down a few notches ....
Thanks but there will be a lot of nice takes for sure on this peach of a tune.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Heres a new up todate version done this morning.My old version was more in the mellow vibe.Went for a more spikey version here.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Nice pick for the TOTM and a nice kickoff from borganiboy. I may embarrass myself and have a go at this tune since it has been on my "want to learn" list for a while. For me the version I hear in my head is Joe Henderson's from "The Kicker" when I think of this tune...

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
@ cleger, yea a big kick off.Could not wait till next month.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for kicking off the proceedings Davey. I enjoyed this take a lot.
Good strong tone. Nice use of space throughout. You navigated the bridge well which is the hard bit. Good altisimo and subtone. I imagine this would go down well at an after wedding reception. p.s. good photo, like the shades.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Thanks for kicking off the proceedings Davey. I enjoyed this take a lot.
Good strong tone. Nice use of space throughout. You navigated the bridge well which is the hard bit. Good altisimo and subtone. I imagine this would go down well at an after wedding reception. p.s. good photo, like the shades.
Yea it does,will.This was my version last year,more mellow.I kind of like my new version I done today atad more.Its more me I think,more spikey.Thanks for the listen and your great pick.I know your going to do a fantastic version.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the well known Ben Webster version of 1964:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJybhk47xU

And one by Paul Gonsalves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjeHQTqUyxg
Thanks for posting these links Peter. They show the strong link between Gonsalves and Webster in their sound and phrasing. Here are a couple I found on youtube:

Harry shows his Webster and Getz influences above. Not a bad choice of role models imo!

This might be my favorite Webster version with Mulligan reprising the Harry Carney role.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great call for this month, haven't been on SOTW a lot recently but checked in to see the September tune and was most pleasantly surprised!!! Hearing all those wonderful performances by such legendary players, it's interesting how each player imparts their personal flavor, similar to some of the other great ballads like Body and Soul, Stardust, You've Changed...

For a more recent take, here's Joe Lovano...
Lovano Chelsea Bridge with Ed Thigpen, Carsten Dahl, Jesper Bodilsen

Strayhorn composed a number of these hauntingly beautiful ballads, Blood Count, Lush Life, A Flower is a Lovesome Thing, Chelsea Bridge...very evocotive and beautiful with complex harmonies. Always great when his work receives more attention!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a rough first attempt at Chelsea Bridge. Using the onboard mic on a laptop so sound is a bit rough.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12519968

I don't get to play much between being a single parent and work so I need to do some long tones and get the muscles back. On a musical note, the major pentatonic starting with flat 6 works nicely over the first chord. This would start on the 5th degree of C min +7 and would be G, A, B, D, Eb. you can get some nice sequences happening over those first two chords.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
@robscott,,, very chilled affair. Nice slow build up to the end.Lots of cool little lines in there.Enjoyed it a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@robscott,,, very chilled affair. Nice slow build up to the end.Lots of cool little lines in there.Enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks for listening, I hope to get another take done where I can play a bit louder. Practicing in apartments at pianissimo is not much fun on the tenor.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts