Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Roundmidnite for hosting the Oct. 2019 TOTM.

As the host for the Nov. 2019 TOTM, I have chosen “Afternoon in Paris”, the 1949 the jazz standard written by John Lewis.
"Afternoon in Paris" has a 32-bar AABA form usually played in the key of C major. In several of the song's phrases, the tonal center changes (when played in C, there is a shift to B♭ and A♭), defining a unique harmonic structure for soloists.

Backing tracks and charts:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfcs7f90xpl73se/AABJjm4rjyA1Yql1EFGcBaCva?dl=0

Notable recordings include:

John Lewis & Sacha Distel Sacha Distel (Atlantic SD 1267)
Paris, December 4 & 7, 1956
''Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson'' (Prestige 7024)
recorded in 1949-50 and released in 1957
Benny Golson and the Philadelphians (United Artists, 1958)
Sonny Rollins and Co., Now's the Time (RCA Victor, 1964)

·
Administrator
17,267 Posts

·
Administrator
17,267 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Funny.
I was just listening to Sonny Rollins playing this tune today on the way to work.
It seems a tough one to get the timing right on the head.
I’m looking forward to giving it a shoot though.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This is a great version :

·
Administrator
17,267 Posts
Nice relaxed take. To my ancient ears it doesn't sound too quick or too dirty. It would be interesting to hear a 'new' take from you with the same backing track.
Thanks SSD. :)

With quick and dirty I mean that it was done with done with max 5 minutes preparation before recording a first and sometimes second take.

Would love to record a fresh one, but I don't have a place to practice or record anymore.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
This is a wonderful tune, great pick!

A more recent version that I really dug was the Kenny Barron recording with Ralph Moore on tenor sax...
https://youtu.be/-1P80ZjbEBg

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks very much, so I recorded a longer one just for you and your gentle comment.
Ahh .. so laid back and easy to listen to. Fantastic !:cheers:

Mine is a tense chaotic mess in comparison ... but who's comparing anyway ?, it's all art !! :bluewink: :mrgreen:
Ha ! ... more thread filler :

Afternoon in Van

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Mine is a tense chaotic mess in comparison ... but who's comparing anyway ?, it's all art !! :bluewink: :mrgreen:

Afternoon in Van
Oh thank you.
Yours is different because you did it on soprano... "alto" is written... but you did it, we did it, I hope there will be more posts.
What do you say at 2:10 ?
Have you tried with another playback ?
There are some which are better.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yours is different because you did it on soprano
That was on alto - it's just my killer tone that makes you think higher ! :glasses1:

What do you say at 2:10 ?
That was a Peebee quote ... :cussing:

Have you tried with another playback ? There are some which are better.
I prefer to blame the backing track for any issues. A better one would just thwart my feeble narrative. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That was on alto - it's just my killer tone that makes you think higher ! :glasses1:

That was a Peebee quote ... :cussing:

I prefer to blame the backing track for any issues. A better one would just thwart my feeble narrative. :whistle:
OK OK, so I did it on the alto saxophone too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Afternoon in Van

Brendan,

Thanks for sharing the "Afternoon in Van" The Alto sound a bit thin in the upper register. Why are you playing the A sections of the head an octave higher than written? - your lower register (which you play on the B section) sounds better to my ancient ears. At any rate, it's prompted my to get out my seldom played alto which will no doubt have all of neighborhood coyotes howling.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts