Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to have been asked to select the TOTM for November 2018: thanks Peter.

I've chosen Footprints: it is a tune written by Wayne Shorter. It first appeared on his 1966 record “Adams Apple”.

It takes the form of a 12-bar C minor blues, but this is masked not only by its triple time signature but by its unusual turnaround. In the key of C minor, a normal turnaround would be Dm7(♭5), G7, Cm7. But Shorter doubles the harmonic rhythm of the turnaround, and the progression reads: F♯m7♭5, F7♯11, Eaug7(♯9), A7(♯9), Cm7.

Although the song has a C minor feel, the melody is actually in C Dorian, as it has A natural rather than A flat.

Scores, MP3 Backing, BIAB file are avaliable at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1i6ne2z7z5o0fm9/AACMgQgGuvyB_ZONkY1zOtvaa?dl=0

Numerous recordings of “Footprints" can be readily found on Youtube. I have selected some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN-qmeF3uE0VCJfvbAwI7so1IN9lwbAu0

I wish you a lot of fun with this nice tune, looking forward to many posts.

Here is a very quick and very dirty take of mine: only to start the rush :)

https://soundcloud.com/guido-creo/footprints-b

Ciao :)

·
Administrator
17,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I've never been so fast before... on TOTM :) (usually last days of the month)

In a week going out of country and will be back by end of the month... So just did it...
What will be will be...

Cool tune... (not my playing :) ). Real Take one after few times of listening Miles Quintet. Probably after playing it more and more and more could find something interesting. Let's call it draft...

BTW, Saturday night I am going to see Wallace Roney. Probably everyone knows him. But just in case saying.... This is one and only official Miles' student. And he replaced Miles in the second FAMOUS Miles Quintet (Herbie, Wayne, Ron and Tony).
I watched the show last year and was amazed. Really. Very possible that he will play Footprints of his old fellow.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar0t68kb42TxhVIgA5ZY_F36Irmg

Have a nice "FOOTPRINTS" on November TOTM.

Michael.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never been so fast before... on TOTM :) (usually last days of the month)

In a week going out of country and will be back by end of the month... So just did it...
What will be will be...

Cool tune... (not my playing :) ). Real Take one after few times of listening Miles Quintet. Probably after playing it more and more and more could find something interesting. Let's call it draft...

BTW, Saturday night I am going to see Wallace Roney. Probably everyone knows him. But just in case saying.... This is one and only official Miles' student. And he replaced Miles in the second FAMOUS Miles Quintet (Herbie, Wayne, Ron and Tony).
I watched the show last year and was amazed. Really. Very possible that he will play Footprints of his old fellow.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar0t68kb42TxhVIgA5ZY_F36Irmg

Have a nice "FOOTPRINTS" on November TOTM.

Michael.

Hi Michael, first one to jumping in ! I like your draft and I am curious to listen your new takes at the end of the month. :)

Ciao,
Guido

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This morning, a new mic was in the post - my first large diaphragm condenser (a sontronics STC-20 Pack).

Here's the recording with it - tenorsax and flute. I do not like my tenor sound too much - and this did not change with the new mic. But hey, what did I expect .....

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/footprints

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning, a new mic was in the post - my first large diaphragm condenser (a sontronics STC-20 Pack).

Here's the recording with it - tenorsax and flute. I do not like my tenor sound too much - and this did not change with the new mic. But hey, what did I expect .....

I like your rendition, the sound remember to me the sound of the progressive that I was listening and playing in the 70s: I'm an old amateur ! :)

Ciao

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Hi Matt, no go ... the file is not available. Check plz.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmm. Not sure what's happened thereh; may have maxed my allowance out. I'll have a look tonight to re upload.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

Nice take Taragot. I was getting an eastern vibe from your playing. I thought the sound of the tenor suited the tune as well. Very different. I liked the growling effect you did on flute too. Nice to hear another flute player!

Here's my take on flute. I've also included the soprano player's solo as he did a tasty rendition. I can't seem to get a lot of volume out of my new flute yet, so even with no drums I still have to use a mic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-fhU_bR8pN6l2f2IIcFs41qiJiXD9UIj/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This evening I had the time to listen to all the tracks available so far. I don't feel qualified to give valuable comments, I just want to tell everybody that I liked all your tracks. It's a great song to explore the music and follow your mood.

Michael, I like your expressive approach (and the way you record your sax btw.) I'm not always shure, If you control your sound all the time (I don't!): Just an idea: You could record a "smoothed out", more boaring track with less bendings etc. just to see how it feels. Just an idea - perhaps there would be some benefit for you with this approach.

Guido, I think I want to sound more the way you do on tenor! I'll see what I can do.

Ken: Yeah, recording live with real people is better most of the time. I always liked your flute playing when I heared you with a TOTM!

Saxy: Yeah, like it!

Taras: Is this "algola" an italian mouthpiece? It really sings!!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
George,

I like your take with the with the Aebersold vol. 53 backing track. You start out very laid back and build nicely to some very 'cool' "outside" lines.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks, Saxy. I've been trying to get away from the big Link sound for a while. Thought I'd try Ted's new piece.
I still don't feel comfortable because of the thin beak, unlike the beak on a Tone Edge or even my metal STM. I find I have to use a slightly different embouchure and softer reeds. We'll see what happens.
I listened to your rendition which was very good and quite a similar approach to improvising as mine.
I cheated and slowed down the backing track before I recorded. Aebersold's original tempo is too fast for that tune IMO. We both seem to have some recording problems: I'm too far up front with the horn and your backing track sounds too loud. I'd rather hear you more in front to get a better idea of your sound. It still was a good take though.
Straight Ahead
George

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Hi Taragot,

>Michael, I like your expressive approach (and the way you record your sax btw.) I'm not always shure, If you control your sound all the time (I don't!): Just an idea: You could record a "smoothed out", more boaring track with less bendings etc. just to see how it feels. Just an idea - perhaps there would be some benefit for you with this approach.

Thanks for listening and comments.
About sound control... Say truth I am not concentrating on it. It not cuts my ear during recording... But if I compare my recordings from January (every TOTM), personally I can clearly hear an improvement pitch wise...

This last track was recorded after 5 min of playing on mouthpiece (all the warm up). It was Nov 1 and I told it's now or never :) for November TOTM. As mentioned in my track post I am going for vacation.
So just did it and with satisfaction of participation on TOTM put the sax in the case and will not touch it this week and will miss it during vacation... So after vacation will start again having experience with positively given negative advises.
Thanks Dave, yourself and George (kindly answered by private messaging).

All my previous recordings were done under some pressure, usually last days of the month after working on serious lines of greats. It is FUN FUN experience but no ability to do it fast. So I know for sure that my concentration was more on RECORDING process, not on actually playing being in my "internal haven" that I coming into after usually 1.5 hour of practicing. I must record at this point. BUT...
We all know that recording is tricky and demanding process... Sure all this affects my "negatives" mentioned here.
So, I will try a new stage and should concentrate on points advised. Will compare my playing in one year from now...
Sorry for such a long bla-bla-bla... just 1 KB of text on forums storage...

Thanks again!
Michael.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts