Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my pleasure to host the May 2020 TOTM.

Upon reflection on the situation in which most of us find ourselves at the moment, I have chosen the Sonny Rollins composition “Pent Up House” as the TOTM. I have seen the composition described as a “nagging insistent tune with just a handful of notes and a few chord changes”, therefore many of us will likely be forced to think outside of the “pox” for improvisation.:bluewink:

The tune first appeared on the album "Sonny Rollins Plus 4", which was released in 1956 on Prestige Records. On this album Rollins plays with the Clifford Brown/Max Roach Quintet. Alas, this album was the final recording for both Clifford Brown and pianist Richie Powell, as both were killed in an auto accident three months later.

Other notable recordings include the Chet Baker recording on the Album “Chet Baker In Milan”

Backing tracks and sheet music can be found at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uaw5NCaiwDkEfkalw9ev0kaeXcJPzuU6?usp=sharing

The backing track labeled: PENT UP HOUSE-Video Play Along (Full Version) has the following form:
- Drums 4 bars
- Theme (with repeats)
- Improvisation 10 choruses
- Trade 4 bars with drums for 2 choruses
- Theme (with repeats)

Numerous additional recordings as well as backing tracks can be found on YouTube, SoundCloud etc.

I look forward to listening to all of your pent up licks.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,600 Posts
Ok guys ... I did a take this month! It's been years since I've done a take. BUT I got some actual audio recording gear and decided to give it a work out! I'm still learning how to mix etc, but getting decent results. Couple of other caveats.

1) The Aebersold guys on the backing track sound like they just did a bunch of blow before they recorded ... lol. They are definitely leaning to the front part of the beat. The only reason I mention it is because I felt frantic while recording it, not like the original which is quick but laid back :) Not a dig on the Aebersold, just a note. There is a fundamental difference in swing by the time these came out so it makes sense. PM me if you ever want to get into the deep convo about how and why swing feel changed in the 70's and stayed that way!

2) I had no clue how many choruses it was, so I eventually just faded out after my solo decided to go to the land of the ridiculous ... :lol:

I may do a recording where I play the transcribed solos later this month if I have time. Looking forward to listening in to peoples versions this month!

https://soundcloud.com/simonjazzsax%2Fpent-up-house-may-totm

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ok guys ... I did a take this month! It's been years since I've done a take. BUT I got some actual audio recording gear and decided to give it a work out! I'm still learning how to mix etc, but getting decent results. Couple of other caveats.

1) The Aebersold guys on the backing track sound like they just did a bunch of blow before they recorded ... lol. They are definitely leaning to the front part of the beat. The only reason I mention it is because I felt frantic while recording it, not like the original which is quick but laid back :) Not a dig on the Aebersold, just a note. There is a fundamental difference in swing by the time these came out so it makes sense. PM me if you ever want to get into the deep convo about how and why swing feel changed in the 70's and stayed that way!

2) I had no clue how many choruses it was, so I eventually just faded out after my solo decided to go to the land of the ridiculous ... :lol:

I may do a recording where I play the transcribed solos later this month if I have time. Looking forward to listening in to peoples versions this month!

Great ! I think it's the first time I'm listening to you.
Why swing feel changed in the 70's ? Because it became something taught in Universities.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Wow! That's one good reason not to contribute this month. :mrgreen: What can one add after such a performance...

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Fantastic playing Simon, you're killing it! I'll be waiting for you to drop a Sonny tribute album :). Very inspiring for someone who is continuing to improve, I may take a stab at this song!

Stuck at work overnight with not much to do, so I tried to give everyone a listen, but looks like my work computer blocks everything but soundcloud...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Je suis habitué aux maux de tête - mon ex-femme est française.:bluewink::mrgreen::whistle:
Alors ça va tu es habitué, pas trop de séquelles ?

The backing track from Aebersold is too fast for me, and the other ones on the net too.

After drinking a tea, I made this.

https://app.box.com/s/kayq294wmfbkbuvxu00rbzdafoqm95ux

Don't be surprised, I think that I'll record some more, maybe, maybe not.

For Saxy in San Diego an others, I put the file.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Wow! That's one good reason not to contribute this month. :mrgreen: What can one add after such a performance...
LOL. I'm glad you dig the recording and I know you're joking, but I certainly hope you and a lot of others put up recordings! There is much more to add, trust me:)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Fantastic playing Simon, you're killing it! I'll be waiting for you to drop a Sonny tribute album :). Very inspiring for someone who is continuing to improve, I may take a stab at this song!

Stuck at work overnight with not much to do, so I tried to give everyone a listen, but looks like my work computer blocks everything but soundcloud...
I appreciate the support and I'm glad you dig the track. I LOVE Sonny, he's my favorite. I just finished transcribing a great solo from the Rollins Plays for Bird album, so it was easy to get in the Sonny vibe when recording this. I certainly hope you take a stab at this song! I want to hear as many people contribute as possible!!!

Hope you got out of work :)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

Hey Lionelsax ... I haven't heard your tracks for a while now, but your playing has gotten a lot stronger. Your tone is much stronger, rounder and even, and your ideas are more defined. Keep at it brother!!!

I'll also partially answer your question about swing in the 70's & 80's here as to not hijack the thread completely. It has to do with a lot of things and goes deeper than this, but one of the largest things has to do with colleges turning out tons of Jazz players and the popularity of the big bands like Maynard, Kenton, Buddy Rich etc. Almost everyone went to Berkley or North Texas and then got into one of those big bands for a while and then moved to NY or somewhere else, only to be replaced in the band by another graduate. This created an entire culture that was much different than that of the primarily African American Jazz culture of 40's and 50's. Combine that with the popularity of the newer fusion music such as the Brecker Brothers and others and you get a big shift in the fundamental swing feel. The way the eighth note is felt in 1950 is vastly different than in the late 70's or 80's. Can't say one is better as it's preference. Also, that is a lot of generalizing, but it's something I've delved heavily into studying. You get something similar happening from the Swing era into the Be-bop and hard bop era as well, but for completely different reasons.

Keep up the good work with your sax playing!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey Lionelsax ... I haven't heard your tracks for a while now, but your playing has gotten a lot stronger. Your tone is much stronger, rounder and even, and your ideas are more defined. Keep at it brother!!!

I'll also partially answer your question about swing in the 70's & 80's here as to not hijack the thread completely. It has to do with a lot of things and goes deeper than this, but one of the largest things has to do with colleges turning out tons of Jazz players and the popularity of the big bands like Maynard, Kenton, Buddy Rich etc. Almost everyone went to Berkley or North Texas and then got into one of those big bands for a while and then moved to NY or somewhere else, only to be replaced in the band by another graduate. This created an entire culture that was much different than that of the primarily African American Jazz culture of 40's and 50's. Combine that with the popularity of the newer fusion music such as the Brecker Brothers and others and you get a big shift in the fundamental swing feel. The way the eighth note is felt in 1950 is vastly different than in the late 70's or 80's. Can't say one is better as it's preference. Also, that is a lot of generalizing, but it's something I've delved heavily into studying. You get something similar happening from the Swing era into the Be-bop and hard bop era as well, but for completely different reasons.

Keep up the good work with your sax playing!
Thanks for listening, I'm glad you did.
This standard is really difficult at this tempo so I made my own thing.
The only problem is the drum track, there are extra bars at the middle, so I did a mess and didn't know exactly where I had to start.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Simon, it's a real jazz in it's best form I think...

After Pent-Up, I checked your's website and utube channel… so liked the presentation of 10MFun MP. Complete demonstration of the the instrument capability, unlimited musician force that is out of the universe :) and of course MP quality that you liked and used for DEMO. I took this whole vid as a great example of great musician.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Simon, it's a real jazz in it's best form I think...

After Pent-Up, I checked your's website and utube channel… so liked the presentation of 10MFun MP. Complete demonstration of the the instrument capability, unlimited musician force that is out of the universe :) and of course MP quality that you liked and used for DEMO. I took this whole vid as a great example of great musician.
Thanks so much for your encouragement and post :) I really appreciate it! I so badly need to get more content out there :( I have just spent so much time in the shed and nervous to put out recordings etc. that I just don't have the material. It's time though to start getting videos up and making recordings. Getting this recording rig setup in my music room has pushed me to use it and I'm happy enough with the sound quality that I will start uploading more consistently. That or my wife will kill me for how much I spent on it and didn't use it :)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts