Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

John didn't find a host for this month TOTM, so I decided to host this one myself in order to not stop the long line of monthly TOTM threads here on SOTW. I hope it will become a bit easier to find people to host these threads in the future.

My choice for this month is 'I Mean You', composed by Thelonious Monk and Coleman Hawkins. So like last month a Monk tune, but I already had this song prepared a long time ago for the moment we couldn't find a TOTM host.

Here is a link to the lead sheets (for Bb- and Eb instruments) and two backing tracks from YouTube saved as MP3 files:
https://app.box.com/s/d967qbh6pkevtgzckouii3w5dub65rtx

Some YouTube examples:

- Thelonious Monk trio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omWZ0hoer2I

- Thelonious Monk Quartet (I Mean You starts at 13:52):
https://youtu.be/9zUulKnCTf0?t=13m52s
(Recorded live for the Dutch TV in Bussum, The Netherlands, April 15, 1961 - my birth year!)

- Johnny Griffin and Eddie Lockjaw Davis (1961):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99pPOpm3OUI

- Michael Brecker and the McCoy Tyner trio (including solo transcriptions):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Un_wvwO7g

I will be travelling the first two weeks of May without sax and not much time for the forum, so you guys will have to run the thread on your own!

Looking forward to many postings. :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
And here's a second version of this very nice tune (I did not know before): https://soundcloud.com/taragot/i-mean-you

I played it on a marmaduke mouthpiece that arrived yesterday from sotw-member toughtenor. I'm just exploring this piece but that's even more fun with TOTM

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting guys :).

I'm currently on business travel and can only listen at low volume on crappy laptop speakers, so I can't go too much into detail in commenting.

There is some noise caused by problems in the microphone, I think :/

I Mean You
I didn't hear the noise Francisco, but that could be because of the low volume/crappy speakers I mentioned above. The theme needs some work at places, but the big lines are there. The solo was nice, I can hear you improved a lot lately in trying to follow the proper chord scheme. Good job :).

And here's a second version of this very nice tune (I did not know before): https://soundcloud.com/taragot/i-mean-you

I played it on a marmaduke mouthpiece that arrived yesterday from sotw-member toughtenor. I'm just exploring this piece but that's even more fun with TOTM
Taragot, very nice take. The theme sounds good to me and the solo was fluent with a nice flow. I could here you enjoyed working on this recording, nice free swing feel. You sound good on the new Marmaduke mouthpiece (for as far as I can judge about that on these poor laptop speakers!), I'm sure you will enjoy it even more if you get more used to the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mrpeebee, thank you very kind words and your responsible and motivating way of keeping TOTM going on!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the friendly words Taragot, and you and Francisco thanks for posting your recordings.

Hopefully some more will follow this month.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thank you mrpeebee for listening and for commenting, I know I was not playing the melody very well :) I could not quite figure out how to make some bars, I'll listen more, and maybe I'll make a second take.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much action here!

So I might already post a request for finding a host for next month TOTM.

- Who wants to host June 2017 TOTM?

First person to react positive in this thread or through pm towards me can get it!

REMEMBER GUYS, NO HOST WILL BREAK A LONG TOTM TRADITION HERE ON SOTW (that would be a shame)!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Not much action here!
Yes, indeed!

I recorded a very quick second take on alto. TOTM is the only time; I record myself and I learn a lot what I should work on ( timing, articulation..., but ....)

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/3-i-mean-you-alto

Concerning TOTM - hosting: For me, TOTM or TOTM for beginners/intermediates is just the same - I record a version of the tune I like better or simply comes in my way. Perhaps only one TOTM would have more action/ less hosting problems?

Just a thought ...

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, indeed!

I recorded a very quick second take on alto. TOTM is the only time; I record myself and I learn a lot what I should work on ( timing, articulation..., but ....)

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/3-i-mean-you-alto
Taragot, thanks for sharing another nice and hard swinging version. The theme sits quiet high in the register on alto, but you managed that very well. Solo was enjoyable too. Missed the closing theme!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Concerning TOTM - hosting: For me, TOTM or TOTM for beginners/intermediates is just the same - I record a version of the tune I like better or simply comes in my way. Perhaps only one TOTM would have more action/ less hosting problems?

Just a thought ...
Could be Taragot, but we have both threads already active for years (one since 2009, the other since 2010, maybe even further back). Until now it never gave real big issue to find hosts.

I agree that both threads are almost the same in difficulty, I hardly see real beginners tunes called in the B&I thread.

Regarding the difficulty to find hosts recently: to me it seems something linked to the changing society. In general people are now much more egocentric and less willing to do something for the society. That behaviour has also infected the SOTW members in recent years. Not only in finding hosts, but also in commenting on takes of others. In older TOTM threads I've seen much more 'social' behaviour compared then in more recent ones.

Let's see how things proceed, I try to stay positive :).

3,364 Posts
Regarding the difficulty to find hosts recently: to me it seems something linked to the changing society. In general people are now much more egocentric and less willing to do something for the society. That behaviour has also infected the SOTW members in recent years.

:).
I don't buy that at all .... Perhaps start a thread that asks why members prefer to just talk about their findings with reeds/etc rather that post a clip on TOTM.

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Let's see how things proceed, I try to stay positive :).
I don't take much part in it much any more.

A. Not being able to put critique succinctly into words .
B. Not having the time to listen critically enough to evaluate.
C. Member that appears to want critique, but really just wants a pat on the back.

Seems no matter what your opinion is regarding anything saxophone related, there's always some
characters that will simply pop up with the 'auto-contrary' attitude and shoot you down.

I play the saxophone for a living so it's a case of 'just getting on with it' these days.
After a long day at the lab, do you then spend hours of leisure time participating in 'Science On The Web'?

cheers, Mark.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I might already post a request for finding a host for next month TOTM.

- Who wants to host June 2017 TOTM?

First person to react positive in this thread or through pm towards me can get it!
We have a winner :).

I'm happy that 'Saxy in San Diego' volunteered to host the June 2017 TOTM (already added to the >main TOTM index<).

For members who also would like to volunteer as host:
Please let me know (through pm) if your are interested to host one of the TOTM Month's after June. I could already update the index thread with that information too and it saves us the effort to find a new host at the end of June. :)

I don't buy that at all .... Perhaps start a thread that asks why members prefer to just talk about their findings with reeds/etc rather that post a clip on TOTM.
BSOM, if you are curious to that you could start such a thread yourself (I think I already know the most common answers). :)

All I'm interested in is keeping the TOTM threads alive here on SOTW and that requires finding people who are willing to host the threads so now and then (once a year for instance). Posting your own clips and listening and commenting on others is another topic, but without hosts that question is not even relevant.

I don't take much part in it much any more.

A. Not being able to put critique succinctly into words .
B. Not having the time to listen critically enough to evaluate.
C. Member that appears to want critique, but really just wants a pat on the back.

Seems no matter what your opinion is regarding anything saxophone related, there's always some
characters that will simply pop up with the 'auto-contrary' attitude and shoot you down.

I play the saxophone for a living so it's a case of 'just getting on with it' these days.
After a long day at the lab, do you then spend hours of leisure time participating in 'Science On The Web'?

cheers, Mark.
I recognize your points Mark and think some of them are valid for most of us.

I remember you gave me some good comments in my begin period here on SOTW in 2010 which helped me for sure (still appreciate that). :)

3,364 Posts
BSOM, if you are curious to that you could start such a thread yourself (I think I already know the most common answers). :)
What me Ha. Ha. No thanks. I was thinking someone like yourself who has the knowledge and love of everything Jazz. ( because it's mostly JTOTM not TOTM) Members discuss endlessly about equipment because they feel they are getting something from it. So my idea to ask members is to find out why they have no interest in TOTM and possibly put things in place to entice more interest. I do agree with Wilbur re. the feedback comments, although it doesn't concern me. I take good or bad comments as the same imposter, as I know myself like most of us what we can improve on. We all have our own reasons for posting a clip and as Wilbur mentioned some just want a pat on the back ( what a waste of time that is) but I can see that could discourage others from participating because they feel they are on the outside. I don't myself post to recieve comments, in fact I have a giggle when I have no comments and 30 views.:)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And another future TOTM host to announce :).

'Taragot' volunteered to host the July 2017 TOTM (also added to the >main TOTM index<).

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally found some time to play this month (after lots of travel) and did record some quick and dirty takes for several TOTM threads. Didn't play for three weeks, so things are even more rusty than normal (when I play once a week)! Back on my old Florida no USA 10* Link with a soft (and dark sounding) Rico Royal 2 reed.

- 'I Mean You' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13576693

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
MrPeeBee, I really like that dark and smokey sound of your tenor playing! Dense flow of lines and ideas - no rust for me to hear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts