Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
Simon has passed the torch to me for the month of May.
I have chosen a tune that I personally have never looked at up until now.
I came across it recently while listening to some Benny Golson.
It seems to have a nice feel to it and sounds good at different tempos also.
I hope you all get involved and post your many different versions of Benny Golsons "Along Came Betty".
Below is a link to lead sheets and backing tracks.
Lead sheets are photographed copies in jpeg format, I hope they're clear.
The two backings are from youtube if you have trouble downloading them.
some sample to follow.
Have fun .
Nick.
Link with the stuff: https://app.box.com/s/9i9dhbkqbfgraymbazys

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
Glad you like it.
Don't post anything too early though, yours is a hard act to follow.:)
nooooo, don't think that way, it ain't competition, never is for me (it probably was when i was a dumb puppy tho lol) and it is now all about the music my friend just having fun with all 13 notes :)

and I know you were meaning it in a good mannered fun sense of course...

I am looking forward to all the variations here.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
3,303 Posts
Good choice, and thanks for the backing tracks. this will be a challenge for me.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
FYI: Also can be found in Colorado, pg.19, JazzFake pg.43 and the complete arrangement is in NewReal 2, pg.7. These are all in Concert key.
Great tune!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Great choice Nick.
Trying to figure out how to play over that half step modulation (bars1-4 and 9-12).

Of course Dave had no trouble at all !! :evil: Awesome. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1334193&songID=12775266

So here's my early take. Pretty obvious I don't know the changes. Lots of triads and Do-wah Do-wah kind of tonguing.

Anyway I always liked the tune. I'll probably try again later.

Using my Guardala LT Studio I just got yesterday with RJS 3s and Francois Louis Ultimate lig. The sound is better than the playing at this point. A little more time and that will get better also. It's a tricky tune.

EDIT: Upon listening again I can hear that in the very last chorus right towards the end I'm starting to get it. This is going to be a great one to learn this month.

Wrote out the chart for myself. The first step in memorizing any tune.

Dave Pollack - Clear command of the changes. Wonderfully played as always. Melodic yet soaked in the harmony as well. All with a very nice sound.

·
3,303 Posts
Well here it is...a boring first and only take, haha. Hope you enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAPYQsEm6RY

Boring? i didn't hear any boring. These changes intimidate me a little, so i really admire your command of the harmony. As always your tone and technic are splendid. Also,your improv contained some great ideas along the way, i enjoyed listening.

·
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boring? i didn't hear any boring. These changes intimidate me a little, so i really admire your command of the harmony. As always your tone and technic are splendid. Also,your improv contained some great ideas along the way, i enjoyed listening.
Absolutely agree with the above.
A great start to the month.

@Littlewailer: That was far better than you think. If only I knew the changes half as well as you don't know them. (hope that made sense?).

dubrosa was kind enough re-write the lead sheets from my iffy photo ones.
And he also came up with some backing tracks to go with it.
I will add them to the link and remove the jpegs.
Thanks again V.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My pleasure, Nick. :)

But just so everyone knows those midis I sent you with the PDFs are just the melody, sorry, not backing tracks. I make them whenever I re-score stuff as a reference - so no good to most folks.
V

·
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My pleasure, Nick. :)

But just so everyone knows those midis I sent you with the PDFs are just the melody, sorry, not backing tracks. I make them whenever I re-score stuff as a reference - so no good to most folks.
V
I added just the lead sheets and the mp3's.
I didn't worry about the midi's.
Nick.

·
3,518 Posts
Thanks so much. I'm glad you didn't hear what I heard!

·
3,518 Posts
Not boring, very nice indeed.
These are quite intimidating changes...

V
Thanks! Don't let the changes overwhelm you- you can treat the chromatic minor chords as 2-5s in half steps. Also, the Ab7 in bar is just a tritone sub going to Gmaj, and the bridge is just 2-5s. I don't know if this helps, but that's an easy way of breaking down the tune into smaller sections to blow over it easier.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts