Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the pleasure to choose the next TOTM. A mixed pleasure it is, because choosing a tune always gets me in a conundrum. A host of suggestions besiege me, with as a usual result that I draw a complete blank. However, from somewhere came the notion that it is time for something in a 3/4 beat. And I love this wonderful tune, the Jitterbug Waltz. I fondly remember Tobias Delius playing it opening an Engelbewaarder jam session, many summers ago. I heard Barry Block play it, meticulously hitting every each note of the ascending line that still eludes me in the Real Book version, and then taking a solo quoting every possible other song. So let's see what SOTW can make of it.

Here is Fats' original: The Jitterbug Waltz. And this is the version I heard the first time (I didn't know that jazz musicians could play that kind of music - I was completey enchanted): Jitterbug Waltz. A cool little band with Woody Shaw (who was what? 19? at this date) and Bobby Hutcherson.

I'm sorry to say I don't have a backing track lying on the shelf. I do have an Bb score here, and a Eb one here.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Should be an interesting one to learn, looks like a fun call!

I did some quick research and have BIAB version of this (thanks to the BIAB file archive). It's in concert Eb (as opposed to the RB2 version notated in Db concert key). I also saw this notated in concert Eb in another fake book, with the melody phrased similar to my BIAB lead sheet (also similar to how they phrased in this VSOP II version I dug up with Herbie, Wynton, Branford, et al; their performance was also in concert Eb).

I'll try to get back later with some backing tracks in Eb and Db concert, and the other lead sheets.

There's quite a few versions to check on YT, below is a link to the VSOP II.

http://youtu.be/mqPoKTFASH0

Shawn

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Eric Dolphy's version is cool, too.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I remember seeing Gary Bartz play this tune in a club in downtown Baltimore called "The Closet".... he would play the melody so beautifully and precise and then proceeded to play a 15 min solo building and building intensity on each chorus... (but he would do that w/ every tune) it was jaw dropping...

nice call Reine...

any backing tracks on this one??

·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should be an interesting one to learn, looks like a fun call!

I did some quick research and have BIAB version of this (thanks to the BIAB file archive). It's in concert Eb (as opposed to the RB2 version notated in Db concert key). I also saw this notated in concert Eb in another fake book, with the melody phrased similar to my BIAB lead sheet (also similar to how they phrased in this VSOP II version I dug up with Herbie, Wynton, Branford, et al; their performance was also in concert Eb).

I'll try to get back later with some backing tracks in Eb and Db concert, and the other lead sheets.

There's quite a few versions to check on YT, below is a link to the VSOP II.

http://youtu.be/mqPoKTFASH0

Shawn
Thanks for that research, Shawn. I find that both Fats and Eric Dolphy play it in concert Eb as well.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I check the working of the links myself, and I just tried it again - it does work with me. If it still doesn't work, Nobby, I can send it through email. This part (for Bb instruments) is in Eb by the way.

·
Registered
756 Posts
well this is just the great thing about TOTM - I'd never heard or played this before.. looking forward to getting my teeth into it = Congrats Rennie for a good choice!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts