Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Saxy in San Diego for hosting last month and asking me to host this month.

This months tune is Watch What Happens by Michel Legrand. Thought it would be a fun one, it's also a tune that works at different tempos and styles.

I've always liked this tune, which I've heard done as a swing tune with big band (Basie), and uptempo burner (Phil Woods), and most often as a bossa nova. It's one of many great jazz standards penned by Michel Legrand. I was somewhat surprised no one had called this before! With Legrand's recent passing, I figured it was a good time to call this one.

Watch What Happens - Charts and Backing Tracks
In the folder, there are lead sheets in concert key, Bb, and Eb. I also put in four backing tracks. Two are slower/medium tempo bossa and a couple are quicker with a more swing or straight ahead feel. You can also find this in volume 2 of the old Real Book and The New Real Book v1.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3gazrgt3oiyyzv7/AACvkUM6Ob53L-gt0WwHyaMKa?dl=0

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks to Saxy in San Diego for hosting last month and asking me to host this month.

This months tune is Watch What Happens by Michel Legrand. Thought it would be a fun one, it's also a tune that works at different tempos and styles.

I've always liked this tune, which I've heard done as a swing tune with big band (Basie), and uptempo burner (Phil Woods), and most often as a bossa nova. It's one of many great jazz standards penned by Michel Legrand. I was somewhat surprised no one had called this before! With Legrand's recent passing, I figured it was a good time to call this one.

Watch What Happens - Charts and Backing Tracks
In the folder, there are lead sheets in concert key, Bb, and Eb. I also put in four backing tracks. Two are slower/medium tempo bossa and a couple are quicker with a more swing or straight ahead feel. You can also find this in volume 2 of the old Real Book and The New Real Book v1.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3gazrgt3oiyyzv7/AACvkUM6Ob53L-gt0WwHyaMKa?dl=0
Very nice choice and a nice tribute to Michel Legrand. This tune has been on my "should learn" list for a while, so now I have a good reason to actually learn it.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,259 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't wait to hear David's playing, so I gave it a quick listen... enjoyed some of the NY tenor style inflections on the melody. Nice job navigating those little chromatic changes at the end of the form. That's the interesting part of this tune, for sure. I like the edgy approach you took, a little Steve Grossman flavor in the mix perhaps? Interesting, a lot of the extended technique over the slower tempo, I like the contrast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Here is my version: https://app.box.com/s/eae2bz3twj58p2uwuiapxk2dxtja3ens

Very nice playing by everybody so far.

@ David Wells; so nice to hear you, as always! Beautiful sound, great technique, and a wealth of ideas is what we expect from you and you didn't disappoint. Kudos to you sir.
@Shawn; Nice job. Your sound is super.
@saxy; i like the vibe. i think you are sounding pretty nice these days.

·
Registered
513 Posts
@dctwells - Dave showing off as usual.:bluewink:. I really like the “outside–i-ness” of the improv. Terrific take.

@FawltyTenor - nicely built up solo - look forward to a tenor take from you

@Mascio - interesting take with some very nice lines in the improve

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Wow, some nice takes!

I managed to get one in today at work (it's a slow day, and I can use it to demo this Showtime tenor mouthpiece I got in).

Anyway, nice tune! I don't think I've ever gotten to play it before. Good choice!

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,832 Posts
Sounds great, David. Nice to hear everyone here play. Its an excellent way to start the day.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
3,287 Posts
@guido - i listened to both and i think you are on the right path. Some nice moments so keep going.

@Shawn - nice tenor take. With your great sound you can't go wrong.

@Dave Strong - It's so great to hear you again. Very nicely done.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saxy in SD: I like your smoky tone. My one suggestion, don't be afraid to leave a little more space to break up the phrasing a little.

Mascio: Like the variation of the melody chorus. Also, some interesting harmonic twists. Nice use of the full range of the horn. There's some unexpected turns and double time tuns in there as well. Maybe a little more voice leading to make it sound a bit smoother working through the chord progression.

David: Your sound/tone is amazing there. The velvety subtone was just lovely. So nice hearing you, you sound great as always. Loved every note.

Guido: I listened to the second one, since you preferred it. I liked how you changed up the phrasing going into the improvisation. Nice relaxed feel. Good to hear you, I enjoyed your take!

FalwtyTenor: tenor is better.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
3,287 Posts
New song for me. I took a fibracell bassclarinet reed, because the reeds I had laying around felt too soft for my new robusto 7. Still searching....

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/watch-what-happens-tenor

Some nice things happening here. Nice low register work. You make the important modulations too. You might want to try exploring arpeggios in the improv as a contrast to the scaler ideas.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts