Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month's choice is courtesy of one of my favorite trumpet players, Clifford Brown:

Sandu!

Here's the original recording off of 1955's "Study in Brown" (with Max Roach on Drums, and Harold Land on Tenor, Richie Powell on piano, and George Morrow on Bass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwlrMxapIQEp

If you use Spotify, there's a few cool versions of this there too:

Arturo Sandoval: http://open.spotify.com/track/3IKtGKmpwMbSwpo3FJL96M
Wes Montgomery: http://open.spotify.com/track/4hcxFfLqZqj4pXzt5yKQd3
Ryan Kisor: http://open.spotify.com/track/32ZfvDNigwVmaMQdiKvXfg
Lem Winchester: http://open.spotify.com/track/7wJT3U6jtfd749EZA485nu

Backing track is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49871157/Sandu (Play-Along).mp3

Charts:
B flat: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49871157/Sandu Bb.jpeg
E flat: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49871157/Sandu Eb.jpeg

And for giggle's here's a transcription of Brown's original solo for study:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49871157/CliffordBrown_Sandu.pdf

Looking forward to hearing what people do with it!

Pete

·
Registered
406 Posts
I didnt know this song.....so i thought.... After youtube i realized that i know it to well... I can hum the trompet and sax solo by memory... Nice pick..i will have fun with it.. Al i need now is find the time

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Love this version by James Carter:

Can't wait to hear what you guys bring this month! Tempted to try it myself..great pick Pete.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Had some time for a quick take. Played this song a long time ago, but in another key (G for tenor instead of now F). Slowed the backing down a bit to be able to handle the theme without too much preparation, but it's still a rough take :). Might try a faster one later this month. Also back on the SBA after some Conn and Buescher adventures.

- 'Sandu' (Ponzol 120 - SBA - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12705328

·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, right out of the gates this month! I'll be working on putting something passable together for a while yet. This is an interesting tune that provides its own challenges for me. It's the blues - but not the most common form, which is enough to throw me off a bit. Plus, the tempo is a tricky one in that I can't quite eek out the double time runs I hear in my head, and then have a tendency to just do eighth note runs which gets boring pretty quickly, especially with a long backing track and a simple form... I run out of ideas fast. So my mission here is to really focus on using space, dynamics, varying rhythms and really telling a story as best I can.

Thanks to those who put their takes up already! Here's some feedback, in reverse order:

mrpeebee: nice big sound as usual. You slowed the track down a bit, perhaps for the same reasons I mention above. I like the double-time bits - you get a little smoother with them as the song progresses. Sounds like you were having fun with the wailing altissimo! Suggestions would be similar to what I was saying in my opening paragraph about my goals for this tune: dynamics, rhythm, storytelling. Lots of very cool ideas in there - maybe just assemble deliberately?

squirrelz0rs: again, strong tone. I can hear your playing skill in the head... confident and spot on. Nice combo of the two horns. On the improv, your ideas are there, and even some really nice double-time runs, well done. A few suggestions - give yourself a little more space and time to place ideas and really say it, and build sections that each are saying something different and add to each other. One other minor thing, I sometimes hear your articulation lean on the classical side, with a softer attack almost like you aren't tonguing the start of the note. Perhaps another area to look at those subtle jazz vs. classical differences to really nail the genre.

donnersm: very nice alto sound. Recording seems a bit far from the mic, but it still sounds great. Nice ideas and execution. Suggestion on the eighths would be to swing them a little less and lay back in the pocket so that it will "swing" more, if that makes sense. I seem to be a broken record, but as above, space, dynamics, storytelling would really take your solo to another level. Nice playing.

Great start to the month! Now off back to the shed for me so I can work on this some more. Cheers!

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,600 Posts
You guys are all doing good things! I love that you all push yourself every month and work on a tune! I've been encouraged to jump in and I think I will do just that this month:) Great tune!!!

Donnersm - Sounding good man!!! Check your note on the 5th bar beat 4. I believe you are playing Concert G, but it should be concert Gb. Sorry to bust you for it!! Keep on keepin' on though:)

Don't be to hard on me when I put my recording up!!!

·
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1334193&songID=12706715

My Sandu.

It's been an emotional day. If I missed a note I was on the verge of making a hole in the wall.

Anyway. Hope you enjoy. I felt a lot better once I finished.

Proving that this months tune even though it's "just a blues" provides it's own unique challenges.
Littlewailer, bringing it like always! Sorry to hear your day sucked. Nothing like a bit of musical therapy, eh? You seemed to take a bit to settle in, but at about 2:30 you really started flowing. Really nice thoughtful melodic lines interspersed with fantastic double time that fill me with envy. The head threw me off a bit - seemed like you got out of sync, but maybe that was artistic license? Would love to hear you do more of this tune. Maybe bring that same thoughtfulness of lines to the first part, dialed back and building, building, building to your wickedly enjoyable energy level. Always enjoy your stuff...thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Artistic license indeed... I figured I would play the head twice but mix up the phrases a little. I played the head over and over and just didn't think playing it note for note was the right choice so it ends up going about 1 bar out. More shout bluesy kind of feel although it would be better if the backing went with my "vision". I could be persuaded to do a more to the page version but I thought I would also try and sneak one in early as well. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, littlewailer, I can hear you were having a music therapy session there - impressing me!
You are all doing so good. If you're talking about double-time runs, like littlewailer did, that's great to have that option. But don't expect me to do that - maybe next year :)
This time I want to jump in - even with something basic. Blues is still something I have to learn, left it aside with little attention all these years, so that's a Big exercise!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Don't be to hard on me when I put my recording up!!!
Simon, looking forward to your take :).

mrpeebee: nice big sound as usual. You slowed the track down a bit, perhaps for the same reasons I mention above. I like the double-time bits - you get a little smoother with them as the song progresses. Sounds like you were having fun with the wailing altissimo! Suggestions would be similar to what I was saying in my opening paragraph about my goals for this tune: dynamics, rhythm, storytelling. Lots of very cool ideas in there - maybe just assemble deliberately?
Thanks Pete :).

Main reason for slowing down the backing track was that I couldn't play the head in the original tempo (only tried for 5 minutes, didn't have much time to prepare as usual). The take posted was the first one after slowing down the backing. Also didn't know on forehand how many chorusses would come, which made a good solo build up a bit tricky (I like how Arnett Cobb does do that, see >this< thread). Had to watch the Audacity screen during recording to see where the end of the track came, so I didn't pay much attention to the chords either. Double time and other runs came on the fly, I never assemble stuff (but I frequently re-use certain licks, sometimes to often). Guess the double runs are easier at 'my' tempo, but I didn't play the faster tempo backing fully because I crashed in the head each time!

Hope to find some time to for another take with the faster backing and correct chords later this month :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
So far I've only gotten a chance to listen to littlewailer's take, and it's a good one. Sean, I like the way you use little "devices" common in blues playing in such a natural flowing way and I like the "attitude". Nice performance all around.

Got a question here about TOTM protocol with regard to playing the head — how much "interpretation" is allowable? It seems that if someone just plays it as written it's "square" but if it's embellished or distorted beyond a certain degree (singers do this all the time) that seems to invite criticism as well.

I don't have the means to record myself with this backing track — I've threatened to make an unaccompanied recording at some point but this tune is too nice for that!

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
Got a question here about TOTM protocol with regard to playing the head — how much "interpretation" is allowable? It seems that if someone just plays it as written it's "square" but if it's embellished or distorted beyond a certain degree (singers do this all the time) that seems to invite criticism as well.
personally I think it is up to the player how they want to play a head, all personal taste, just go for it and not worry what others think, if they moan about it then so what cos after all it is just music so enjoy playing it how you like i say.

·
Registered
406 Posts
@shotgun, although a formal answer should be given by the moderator, i feel the variations are what makes this interesting. I listenend to so much new version and different approches .. Every version is a lesson

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

I don't have the means to record myself with this backing track — I've threatened to make an unaccompanied recording at some point but this tune is too nice for that!
Shotgun, we don't have a protocol or rules on how to play a head. In the end it's jazz and you are free to play it the way you want, especially here in TOTM :).

A pro player (also a member on this site) ones gave me the advice to always play a ballad close to the original melody, especially when you play for a 'real' audience. They expect you to do that and it improves the feel of recognition they can get with the tune and you as a performer. I think it's a great advice, but also highly depending on the type of tune and gig you play.

And why not record and post your unaccompanied recording here? It's a great excersize to do that and also a good way to really hear the 'pure' sound of you on your saxophone :).

1 - 20 of 164 Posts