Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , I did pick one last year but since you asked ...... I'll go with Stablemates...... whaddya think ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: SOTW TOTM for February 2011 - Serenity (Joe Henderson)

just checked the Aebersold Stablemates- tempo is 256- this will be a bit of a roast!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts

Love Stablemates! In fact, I love all of Benny's writing - genius. This is my favourite recording, with a Miles solo so beautiful it brings tears to my eyers.

Reine

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

we can always find a way to slow the aebersold if needed and also I have been using a bergonzi play along that is more medium.

The goal is to get more folks playing TOTM so I hate to hear that it's too hard for some to participate.. Just play it slow, it's got a great melody

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Back to some of the comments about Serenity, can't say I felt that comfortable with it either. But, the tune really grew on me.

With the 14 bar form and harmony what finally helped me get comfortable enough to get into it was listening repeatedly and finding a few "signposts" in the harmony to key into so I wouldn't get lost... had to practice that one a bit!

Again, great call Matt!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

I quite like something challenging, after all if I just keep playing the same old stuff all I will be able to play is the same old stuff, if you know what I mean. Not saying I'm going to make a good job of Stablemates, but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

Keep sheddin'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts

Yes very colourful solo Matt , very nice.
Reinne thanks for your well wishes and nice comments .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts

Yeah Matt, listened to your YouTube take. That was delightful to listen to - nice and flowing. Once more, great call for this month - it realy helped me discover a player I knew far too little.

Reine

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts

I quite like something challenging, after all if I just keep playing the same old stuff all I will be able to play is the same old stuff, if you know what I mean. Not saying I'm going to make a good job of Stablemates, but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

Keep sheddin'
You know what, you are right. I need to eat more broccoli. And Mike, yeah, I think there's a feature in Reaper to slow the tune down for me... what the heck, right? Might as well give 'er a shot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts

I'd dig Stablemates...

If you find it and don't mind sharing, I'd love to know.
Sure Victor. First you import the backing track, then right-click on the waveform portion, and choose "item properties". It'll pop up a menu, and you'll see "playback rate" as an option a little further than halfway down the popup. Default is at 1.000, just adjust up or down as necessary. Make sure you have the "preserve pitch" checkbox checked.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Banned
6,369 Posts

Haha, this is awesome. Thanks Pete!

·
Registered
500 Posts

Love Stablemates! In fact, I love all of Benny's writing - genius. This is my favourite recording, with a Miles solo so beautiful it brings tears to my eyers.
[/video]

Reine
Thanks Reine, you don't happen to have the discographical information for this Miles Davis version, do you? It seems to be blocked in the US...

1 - 20 of 173 Posts