Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Joy Spring" by Clifford Brown is my call this month.
(I've been thinking about this one since we did Daahoud last year.)

Here's the original :

a Stan Getz version :

and a killer take by a couple of random internet guys :bluewink: :

I like how the second A section goes up a half step, and the cool rhythmic feel of the bridge.
All those embellishments can be a challenge (for me), but you can leave them out here and there and the tune doesn't suffer.

Here's the link to a few backings from youtube and what looks like some messy copies from the original Real book :

https://app.box.com/shared/15aqzbuz4a

So post away - don't be shy (or lazy :bluewink: :mrgreen: ) and don't forget to comment !

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I cannot not to comment SOTW member playing presented by Brendan...

Dave, you are "the killers". I didn't move during all your clip with a smile. Usually, I am not moving when listening classical stuff like Horowitz on Utube or live concerts at Maison Symphonique de Montreal (of course without smile :) ).

Amazing session. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love Nicks rendition.
Whoa that's fast ... sounding a bit like Pepper Adams in places during the solo. I'll have to see if that album is on spotify.
Now anticipating the domi-Nick take. :bluewink:

Nice choice Brendan. I love playing the head on tenor - it's quite a nice 'pinkie workout' :lowbd::line0:.
I'll be away for much of the month, but will try my best to record a take before i depart.
Looking forward to it Gary ... maybe I'll dust off the old yts-23, it hasn't been out of the case in years ! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
Oh dear, what a tune! Now were going to have to learn our chords just to survive. :yikes!: :homework:

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
3,518 Posts
Thanks so much guys!!! Much much appreciated. Here's another fun one I have online - it's just my solo (I wish I had posted the whole thing, the rest of the band is KILLING) live at Chris' Jazz Café in Philly. Hope you dig it! (such a great tune, great pick!)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much guys!!! Much much appreciated. Here's another fun one I have online - it's just my solo (I wish I had posted the whole thing, the rest of the band is KILLING) live at Chris' Jazz Café in Philly. Hope you dig it! (such a great tune, great pick!)
Sigh ... yes, yes all very well and good, but all this musical fluency and technical excellence is becoming a tad tedious don't you think ?
For your next video, how about a soprano take ... smooth jazz style ... you know, a la "chosen one".
(long wig and side embouchure mandatory)

:bluewink: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Dave, I am with Brendan :)... take one on soprano (of course if you have time). So we'll have "3D".

·
3,518 Posts
Sigh ... yes, yes all very well and good, but all this musical fluency and technical excellence is becoming a tad tedious don't you think ?
For your next video, how about a soprano take ... smooth jazz style ... you know, a la "chosen one".
(long wig and side embouchure mandatory)

:bluewink: :mrgreen:
You got it!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Calm down everyone don’t all post at once! :p
Sigh ... cementing my reputation as "thread killer extraordinaire" !! :twisted: :evil:

It's a popular tune - it's not like I called something obscure ... let's go chop chop !! :mrgreen:

I'll try to record something on Tue or Wed (my days off), and provide the floor to Dave's ceiling.
(Then no one will have an excuse :bluewink:)

·
3,518 Posts
Sigh ... cementing my reputation as "thread killer extraordinaire" !! :twisted: :evil:

It's a popular tune - it's not like I called something obscure ... let's go chop chop !! :mrgreen:
That’s what I’m getting at! It’s a very-often performed standard...I thought there would be tons of takes on it already!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK .. the joy continues .. :bluewink:

It's funny because during the solo I think I'm being creative and varied, then listening back it's all one long crap-fest ... :evil:

Broken Spring

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
OK .. the joy continues .. :bluewink:

It's funny because during the solo I think I'm being creative and varied, then listening back it's all one long crap-fest ... :evil:

Broken Spring
Issues falling asleep here and just came out of bed to check SOTW, probably unconsciously waiting for your post in this TOTM. :bluewink:

Not an easy tune for sure, which is probably the main reason why not many members posted a take so far (for me at least, besides of having no space to practice and/or record anymore). You managed to came through to the end and I spotted for sure some nice moments, like the motifs at 2:21 and 3:10. Not a bad job at all Brendan. :)

Now back to bed trying to get some sleep, have to go to work in a few hours. Won't be easy after this listen my friend! :bluewink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts