Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOTW TOTM for June 2011 - I Remember Clifford

It's be given to me the duty and pleasure of the selection of the next tune of the month for June 2011. As such, I offer the Benny Golson tune "I Remember Clifford". Here are my Top 10 reasons for making this choice.

10) It's in the real book as well as other publications listed here; http://www.seventhstring.co.uk/fbin...=1&hlvrb1=1&orb1=1&orb2=1&orb3=1&ovrb=1&sch=1

9) A reasonably good backing track can be found on Jamey Aebersold V14

8) It's a great tune

7) The chord changes and melody are challenging enough to keep advanced players interested.

6) The slow tempo allows less than prime time players (like me) a chance to explore the tune and post their efforts.

5) Many recorded versions of the tune exist by many a great artist. So, there are plenty of ideas out there to listen to and draw from. Here's a few on YouTube; http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=I+Remember+Clifford&aq=f

4) Did I mention it's a great tune?

3) This tune ranks #138 on the jazzstandards.com list of most popular and most played. It's not overplayed and tired. Nor, is it something never heard of before.

2) I know you fellow SOTW guys and gals will present some very interesting music with this selection.

And the #1 reason for selecting I Remember Clifford as the tune of the month (drumroll please)......

Because Rennie let me and now I can :mrgreen: I heard it on the satellite radio the other night after not coming across it for long time. I was struck at the emotion I felt listening. I'm looking forward to learning it myself. I hope you are too.

TJ

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
It's been a while since we've done a ballad, and this one is a classic. Looking forward to hearing from all the ballad players out there...

shawn

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Great tune, there's also a backing on this Hal Leonard:

I have this book but I haven't played this tune out it yet, so I can't comment on it in particular. I have played a few of the others on it and they are very good.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wow.. what a great choice TJ. This is just a lovely ballad..
I had a few moments this afternoon.. so thought I'd start this one off. Didn't really do much with it, just enjoying the melody, and enjoying my favorite new toy horn.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10693668

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dean, nice soprano tone you got there!
Dave, I like your idea of soprano+bari.
Thanks! I was naughty however and used one of those black instruments instead of the gold or silver ones...at least it sort of looks like a sax :) I really want to get a curved soprano one day though.

tjontheroad said:
Nice!!! Very mellow and smooth playing. Only comment would be about the mix. Needs some blending. Is that the trouble you were having with Audacity?
Thanks also! It wasn't the blending that caused my grief. I tried to lay down another track (a couple of alto harmony bits) and just before the end of the recording Audacity had the ...audacity...to start losing audio (not being able to keep up), despite not using much cpu time. I played with buffers etc to no avail - in the end I managed to get the recording to the end by putting all the other tracks dead in centre, middle of the channel so it didn't have to do as much maths while recording. I did get it to record, but by then I didn't like that extra track and left it out.

My ear doesn't seem to be good for setting up mixes, what steps would you take to blend the mix better? (Perhaps pm would be best?)

Cheers,

Dave

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My ear doesn't seem to be good for setting up mixes, what steps would you take to blend the mix better? (Perhaps pm would be best?)

Cheers,

Dave
It's just a matter of taste for me. The backing piano is low against the clarinet and even more so against the bari at times. The bari is very dynamic with a wide volume level in the beginning before your solo. Maybe some light compression would tighten it up. The playing works very well together and that's all that really matters :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Dean, nice take, beautiful tone. Whenever I play soprano it sounds like I stepped on a cat, but you make it sound beautiful.

OK, I'm game on this one for an early entry... don't know this song at all, but it seems pretty so I did a sight-read version after listening to the Getz and the Madgrocer versions:

http://www.schlap.com/music/iforget.mp3

Is it just me, or is the backing a bit different structure than the real book version? Might just be me, but I got off track a bit before my ears brought me back...

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Is it just me, or is the backing a bit different structure than the real book version? Might just be me, but I got off track a bit before my ears brought me back...
The JA version has the intro on the top only, and then repeats the AABA form. The RB is similar to the original recording, but has an odd road map (guess they ran out of space so it jumps around a bit). The "last x DC al fine" repeats the intro at the very end like the Art Farmer Benny Golson version.

Love Farmer's playing on the version from Meet the Jazztet. I've listened to Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Hargrove all on this month's tune, but I still like Farmer's take the best. Dizzy said something to the effect of Farmer being "like a surgeon" the way he deftly works his way through the harmonies. What a genius. Glad I got a chance to see him.

Shawn

Shawn

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
You guys are knocking it out of the park! Very intimidating.......

Dave, very nice sound on the torture stick!

And Pete, another beautiful take!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well guys, you all posted very nice versions. I am going to hear them more and more again so I'll can post my impression for each one. Tried to record "my" version before to start to check deeply yours. Here it's

1 - 20 of 85 Posts