Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I was supposed to start a thread, so here it is.

I am hoping that I'll hear some interesting approaches to this tune.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Kurt Elling did a great version of this complete with a vocalese interpretation of Wayne's remarkable solo. From his terrific Live in Chicago CD recorded at the Green Mill. Amazing.

Shawn

ps Laurence Hobgood does some excellent piano work on Elling's recordings too.

http://youtu.be/FWR3pWy8d30

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Kurt Elling did a great version of this complete with a vocalese interpretation of Wayne's remarkable solo. From his terrific Live in Chicago CD recorded at the Green Mill. Amazing.

Shawn

ps Laurence Hobgood does some excellent piano work on Elling's recordings too.

http://youtu.be/FWR3pWy8d30
Cool version! Great drum solo too.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had feared that maybe this tune wouldn't catch on, I hope maybe by posting my feeble attempt to set the bar low enough that maybe some others would step up. I apologize for the poor quality of the recording, I've not been playing for the past several weeks and it shows. Also, the tune is way over my head and I'm just faking my way through:

Nightmare dreaming

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey Cleger... nice pick!!!

I thought you "faked" it pretty well man.. you really went at it hard and with confidence. It's a much trickier tune than it appears at first glance. I though you handled it really well. I would have liked to the hear the head a little smoother.. but that may just be my personal preference.

So I took a little stab at it.. I had some issues throughout in bar 11/12.. I just couldn't get the feel for sliding in and out of those bars very well.. my ears/hands were just not finding that ii/V properly.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10815817

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dean, very cool to hear this tune on sop. I certainly could hear no sign of any of the issues that you mention, I really liked how you built a nice arc through your solo with some real fire in places followed by some quieter moments.

Thanks also, to you and Peter for the kind words.

·
4,272 Posts
I had feared that maybe this tune wouldn't catch on, I hope maybe by posting my feeble attempt to set the bar low enough that maybe some others would step up. I apologize for the poor quality of the recording, I've not been playing for the past several weeks and it shows. Also, the tune is way over my head and I'm just faking my way through:

Nightmare dreaming
Well, no one will say you held back. And, that's a good thing. You get a Shorter like tone at times that's cool.

So I took a little stab at it.. I had some issues throughout in bar 11/12.. I just couldn't get the feel for sliding in and out of those bars very well.. my ears/hands were just not finding that ii/V properly.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10815817
You can't get that new soprano out of your hands now can you? Don't stop. You sound good.

·
4,272 Posts
Earlier, I posted my version of "Walkin' Shoes" in the B&I thread and received some nice compliments on my baritone playing. So, I thought I'd play some more baritone on my take of "Night Dreamer" along with guitar and alto. This is sort of an arrangement more than a soloing showcase. I hope you like it :mrgreen:

"Walkin' Shoes"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=542012&songID=10816299

"Night Dreamer"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=542012&songID=10839603

Thanks for listening,
TJ

·
4,272 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
hi everybody

i had a quick listen to the takes so far - and it is a fun experience!
you know, voor a poster child for the etc. etc. you are pretty clear in your playing, Claude. You have a sense of the form, and i definitely liked your Archie Shepp-like clouds of sound.
dave, beautiful clear cut solo - a solid build up of firm lines and a nice big sound.
madgrocer, lovely approach on the soprano - great warm tone too - a good example of how you can play this tune too.
nice little big band you've got there, TJ. you have a great tone on baritone!

i don't have a backing track - so here's a very crude one, just me and my metronome. too many notes compared to the well spaced solos I heard so far from you all:

eyes wide open

if anyone would be willing to send me a backing track I would like to do a less frantic one

·
Administrator
17,279 Posts
@Dean: another great one on your soprano. Can hear you really love that horn, and with a reason! Nice stuff around 2:15, great take.

@Dave: Nice take from down under! Great solid sound and groovy solo. I got some Hank Mobley vibes at moments. The ending was a bit sudden.

@TJ: I'm everytime amazed about all the instruments you can play with this quality. I liked your take (and also the Shoes take). Nice atissimo on the alto, and (as you know from the B&I thread) like your bari tone very much. You sound great on that beast.

@Reine: I don't think you do need that backing, it sounded already great without! Liked your tone, great full sound. Your sound seems fuller to me then in previous recordings, did you change anyhting? And a very fluently and bopish improvisation, you sounded like a 'fish in the water' ('als een vis in het water' in Dutch).

·
4,272 Posts
hi everybody

i had a quick listen to the takes so far - and it is a fun experience!

nice little big band you've got there, TJ. you have a great tone on baritone!

i don't have a backing track - so here's a very crude one, just me and my metronome. too many notes compared to the well spaced solos I heard so far from you all:

eyes wide open

if anyone would be willing to send me a backing track I would like to do a less frantic one
Thanks for kind words. Reine, who needs a backing (or band for that matter) when just a metronome will do. You prove that. If you want a backing, PM me your email address and I'll send you the JA.

@TJ: I'm everytime amazed about all the instruments you can play with this quality. I liked your take (and also the Shoes take). Nice atissimo on the alto, and (as you know from the B&I thread) like your bari tone very much. You sound great on that beast.
I like to think I play one instrument called music. Or, at least I'd like to get to that level one day ;) I have to admit you only hear the best takes in these recordings. There are countless others I've swept up off the floor that were total crap. I really do admire Reine's ability to play chorus after chorus non-stop and it all works.

I honestly don't know why my bari sound works. Maybe the great vintage Berg 95/2 offset M mp I have has something to do with it. I think also it reminds me of bass guitar and I tend to play it in that way.

·
1,124 Posts
Thank you mr. Peebee - I wouldn't think I felt like a fish in the water - sometimes even as 'a fish on the dry' - een vis op het droge. I never played this tune, and it took me some effort to get the feel for it. Listening to Wayne Shorters original recording helped, though. I'm not sure what is different with my set-up compared to last month - the recording is straight out of my booth, with the Zoom H2. I play Otto Links exclusively on my Super 20 - like yourself, only not such nice ones as you have! This time it was a modern HR 7* that Phil Engelmann redid, a lovely playing piece, with the only drawback that it doesn't cut through very much in a loud setting, like a jam session. BTW - where's your contribution? I love to hear that great sound of you on this tune.
TJ, thank you, too. I'll send you a PM! I like your line of thinking - play that thing called music. You're doing so very creatively!

·
Administrator
17,279 Posts
To me you sounded like a fish in the water Reine :). Would really like to be able to fly so effortless over these (difficult) tunes as you do.

I hope to find some time to contribute, but I'm very busy lately with work, bands (gigs and rehearsals) and other things. Besides that not much time (and energy!) left to go very late in the evenings to my rehearsal place (outside my house) to learn and record new tunes.

·
1,124 Posts
Getting ready for gigs is the real thing, mr PeeBee! I wished I had a band or could do a gig or two. Haven't played gigs in ten years, and I miss it.
Anyway, more power to you, and good luck with your gigs!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts