Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the honour to host both July-TOTM. Thanks to Brendan for hosting the June TOTM (and sorry that I did not get a track recorded)!
For the „big“ TOTM I chose Nica‘s Dream from Horace Silver. I‘m not shure If it‘s more ore less difficult than Israel (B/I) – but so you have the choice which one to record. Or you record both – or record several track from both tunes…..

The tune Nica‘s Dream is dedicated to Pannonica de Koenigswarter (born Rothschild), who supported and was friend with many jazz musicians.

The A section is mostly played as a latin groove with straight 8th (2x16 bars) – the B section is a swing (16 bars) The form is AABA. The change between latin and swing feel is really typical for this tune. Not all backing tracks on youtube are doing this right.

I provided dots in Bb, Eb and C (my teacher always said this is a flute tune) and some backing tracks I found online. I‘m shure there are more. I like especially the doublebass – only tracks played by a real bassman. Thank you MrSunnybass for your great work!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hyzsadfph5f9n75/AAD9Y5silgUOvM6d6fDzAETba?dl=0

I‘m hoping for many tracks! As I mentioned in the other thread, I do not feel too qualified to give detailed advice (language, lack of knowledge etc.) but I‘ll try my best and listen to all your tracks.

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
All right !! The new TOTM and the wife going to visit her mother all line up on the same day !!

So typical day one quality (ha .. like the end of the month would be any different .. :evil: ) lots of timing issues and clams :

Nica's Nightmare

Coming back to the melody after the solo seems a bit of a yawn-fest, but if you stick around (I wouldn't) there is some embellishment towards the end. :(

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are really fast and make july last a day longer which is a nice move imo! I found your impro really beautiful! I could follow the changes through the whole solo which gave me extra joy in listening. And the end is really surprising
Bariton Sound fits nice with the backing track.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I found your improv really beautiful ....
Ha !! Are you sure you clicked the right link ?? :sign6: Thanks though. :)

I realize now that I should have stuck to the written melody during the first A sections.
I was still trying to work out some sort of variation and it wasn't happening. (a sign of things to come ... :evil: )

I thought you'd have your flute version uploaded by now ... what's the hold up ? !! :mrgreen: :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha !! Are you sure you clicked the right link ??
I'm very shure!!!!!

I realize now that I should have stuck to the written melody during the first A sections.
I was still trying to work out some sort of variation and it wasn't happening. (a sign of things to come ... )
I liked your variations a lot and tried similar things ...

I thought you'd have your flute version uploaded by now ... what's the hold up ? !!
Since you push me so hard and I dusted off the flute for the other TOTM anyway:

https://hearthis.at/taragot/nicas-dream-flute/

I swear this is my last flute track for july!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for listening!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
half of the month is over - and this TOTM is more on the slow side :bluewink:. But I can totally understand that. The weeks before the summer hollidays are totaly crazy here, loaded with meetings, parties and gigs and not much spare time....
I managed to get a quick and dirty tenor take - here it is:

https://hearthis.at/taragot/nicas-dreamtenor/EpR/

Waiting for your Nica's Dreams!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,324 Posts
Hi,
half of the month is over - and this TOTM is more on the slow side :bluewink:. But I can totally understand that. The weeks before the summer hollidays are totaly crazy here, loaded with meetings, parties and gigs and not much spare time....
I managed to get a quick and dirty tenor take - here it is:

https://hearthis.at/taragot/nicas-dreamtenor/EpR/

Waiting for your Nica's Dreams!

Nice job!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
loaded with meetings, parties and gigs and not much spare time....!
Exact opposite for me ... I do nothing !! (Just the way I like it :bluewink: :mrgreen: )

A fine take Taragot .. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, mascio and Brendan!
Exact opposite for me ... I do nothing !! (Just the way I like it )
Two more weeks for me to go, until I reach this state of mind!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Really working that theme throughout the tune Mascio ... smooth and confident - fantastic !! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not an easy song for sure
@Mascio: Not an easy song - but you make it feel like it is the easiest thing in the world. These arpeggios around the theme, great! Every note, where it should be. A really fantastic take which changed the way I hear this song! Deeply impressed....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,324 Posts
Really working that theme throughout the tune Mascio ... smooth and confident - fantastic !! :mrgreen:
Thanks for listening Brendan. i couldn't really escape the "gravity" of the melody. All of the cool notes that i like to play are already present in the tune. And it is a very strong and beautiful melody. Luckily improvising around the melody is always hip. :)

@Mascio: Not an easy song - but you make it feel like it is the easiest thing in the world. These arpeggios around the theme, great! Every note, where it should be. A really fantastic take which changed the way I hear this song! Deeply impressed....
Thanks Taragot, i feel the weight of the imperfections more than anything that might be good about my playing. So i appreciate your encouragement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mascio,
I like your version, you are precise in harmony and phrasing.
As you mentioned above (quite rightly in my opinion), "gravity" of song has a strong influence on the song - I think it's a very natural direction in improvisation. I feel good when waiting for those "melody signals" during improvisation I can finally catch some of them (both while listening and playing).
I would personally move the decorative fill (as you started in 7th bar) for the later time (at least after the first A part), to let the theme resound in the pure form, to allow listeners concentrate on melody.
Thank you, I'll take a handful of ideas from your improvisation to use in "Nica's Dream".

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Finally had a chance to do a take at home today ..... I love the melody the way it is so didnt really mess with it much. There is so much color and great tension in the line Horace Silver wrote! On the solo section I'm thinking kind of scalar, especially the A section, but I'm also trying to create some structures with the scales (arpegggios, melodic cells, etc). The bridge is all ii-V7-I language, with some other junk sprinkled in :)

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13903900

1 - 20 of 33 Posts