Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tune is one we should all know, but I didn’t know it other than by name. A check shows that this hasn’t been called in the main ToTM in at least 8 years. It was called as a Beginner’s / Intermediate a few years ago.

The song form is traditional AABA with the A section staying largely centered on C-. The bridge starts in the relative major (Eb) and works over to F- (ish) and closes with a ii - V in C- back to the A section. There are a couple of chords I’ve written in parentheses in the bridge which are in the generated backing tracks I generated from iReal Pro.

The sections with extended static harmony around a single key center are challenging for my current level of development so I called it to try to push my skills. Not the key center, but keeping the improvising interesting throughout.

I’ve uploaded a number of tracks at a variety of tempi. I’ve generated tracks from 152 - 220 bpm at 16-20 bpm intervals with 5 choruses. If anyone needs a lower tempo ask and I’ll generate it. Finally there’s an Aebersold track from Round Midnight (Volume 40) at 240bpm with 9 choruses and a tag / outro. I think the tracks are all labeled clearly.

I’ve also uploaded Real Book pages for the generated backing tracks and the Aebersold pages for that track. These are also clearly named.

This is a link to the materials on Google Drive (link share is now on):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-IRehWg4gFzseFDOOT9yTGtQxIxg1L_8

Next up? Reference documents!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,845 Posts
I clicked on the link, and it said I needed to ask permission for access.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts
I clicked on the link, and it said I needed to ask permission for access.
The link also doesn't work for me.

John, you have to generate a share-link for this folder, that should work.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts
I have two old recordings to share:

1. 'Softly As In A Morning Sunrise' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) - November 2015:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13247351

2. 'Softly As In A Morning Sunrise' (Otto Link New Vintage Slant Tone Edge 7* - La Voz medium) - January 2018:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13678053

I like the November 2015 recording the best myself. The later recording on the 7* HR Link restricts me a bit in getting all the air through this for me small tip opening, but it's for sure not a bad mouthpiece! The used fresh La Voz medium was also still a bit stuffy.

Last two months I couldn't find time or opportunity (read, use the studio of a friend) to make some new recordings, hopefully January 2019 will be better!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like your sound on the 7* HR Link more than the 10* Florida. There’s more focus with the 7*, which I suppose is a matter of personal preference. I think your pitch is more centered with the 7*.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts
I like your sound on the 7* HR Link more than the 10* Florida. There’s more focus with the 7*, which I suppose is a matter of personal preference. I think your pitch is more centered with the 7*.
Thanks and I agree it's all about personal preference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My first attempt at this. Heard it many times but never inclined to play, stirred into action by SOTM. Cheap Chinese busking Tenor, Berg Larsen MP 105/2 metal Rigotti Gold 3L reed. Straight single take, raw sax file recorded in a cold glass conservatory with mic against a brick wall.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
MrPeeBee: Very nice!!! You're swimming like a fish in this swinging jazz. I like both tracks and could pick you up among many other players. I like the darker sound on the 10* a bit more - a tad more personal

Yamajin: Great! Did the fact, that it was a Coltrane tribute alter the way you soloed? Just wandering....

Jolind: Now that's a way to beginn the new year and wake up the neighbours. All the best for 2019!

Ailmont: Your cheap busking tenor sounds very smooth and good, good intonation, too. What brand is it? It sounds like you lost your sound a bit at the beginning of the impro - but only for a few seconds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you @Taragot for your comment, the sax is an in house branded Gear4Music by a company of the same name. It weighs very heavy and I have given it 2 years + of practice, busking, jams etc. Cost was £299 GBP, money well spent have only needed to replace low Eb and high F# pads + a couple of minor tweeks which is to be expected, they were well thought in UK of at the time purchase, but the market and quality of chinese horns can be unpredictable. I guess I just got lucky.
The loss at the start of the impro was due to the intrusion of one of my cocker spaniel dogs who has an unfortunate habit of howling at my playng, fortunately in this instance a bit of foot waving made her skulk silently away. Regards Al

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The loss at the start of the impro was due to the intrusion of one of my cocker spaniel dogs who has an unfortunate habit of howling at my playng, fortunately in this instance a bit of foot waving made him skulk silently away.
So funny! Just listened to this sample of your recording - I really could imagine the scene!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts
MrPeeBee: Very nice!!! You're swimming like a fish in this swinging jazz. I like both tracks and could pick you up among many other players. I like the darker sound on the 10* a bit more - a tad more personal
Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts