Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let my wish you all the best wishes for the new Year! May it bring out the best in all of us.
Second, let me say sorry for starting the new TOTM 1 or 2 days early...Dec 31 is just to busy to do this so...that's why I post today..
( And yes I copied that line from jan 2015 heheh http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?221223-SOTW-TOTM-for-Januari-2015-Walkin-Shoes )

Thanks to roundmidnite for hosting the TOTM December 2015 and for thinking of me to do the next one…
Upon being asked, I immediately said yes…and I had the perfect song in mind….I rushed to my office ( a small under sized room upstairs) turned over every stack of paper…only to learn that I lost it…my score of NADALIN…grr… ( anyone who has it please send me a copy )..
Anyway…didn’t have the time to transcribe a new version so I decided to find another great tune…
O my.. going to Aebersold and Leonard collections is addicting……But no fear! I found it…
Januari’s tune is one from the books…It’s actually the First jazz song I ever played and although I had no clue on how to play jazz after holding a sax for about 2 weeks, I had a lot of fun playing it with no backing track ( didn’t know what that was). So I figured it’s high time to do it all over again…for me a trip down memory lane and for others a great classic.
Do Nothin’Till you hear from me.
I zipped all the scores and backing tracks, you can download it here:
http://www.judoles.nl/SOTM_DEC_2015.zip

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
We play this song for years in the Big Band I play first tenor in.

Here is a version of 01/04/2011 recorded during a gig at Rotterdam University (NL). I play a tenor solo in the style of Arnett Cobb (my favorite tenor player) starting at 1:27. Happily for you the camera women couldn't find my ugly face till the last note (a high D) of the solo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZszb2BvV88

Hope to record (and post) a new version next year!

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Good suggestion donn. Ever since hearing Mel Torme sing this in an Ellington medley, every subsequent vocal version sounds very very ordinary.
Did learn this along with the Aebersold version but the piano got louder and louder and less 'backing' as the track progressed.
Time to revist this one.
cheers, Mark.

P.S. Nice job with that peebee, now you get to sit the month out :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
P.S. Nice job with that peebee, now you get to sit the month out :)
Thanks Mark. That was an oldie, but I will give it a new change in Jan during my 2.5 hour available recording time that month!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We play this song for years in the Big Band I play first tenor in.

Here is a version of 01/04/2011 recorded during a gig at Rotterdam University (NL). I play a tenor solo in the style of Arnett Cobb (my favorite tenor player) starting at 1:27. Happily for you the camera women couldn't find my ugly face till the last note (a high D) of the solo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZszb2BvV88

Hope to record (and post) a new version next year!
It's funny, because in the beginning of the song, the vocalist said in Dutch: " It's allowed to dance..." so my 8 year old hear that and she dance with me try the living room during the whole song....until you're solo started to hit the high notes......hahah...but it was a nice performance...

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
It's funny, because in the beginning of the song, the vocalist said in Dutch: " It's allowed to dance..." so my 8 year old hear that and she dance with me try the living room during the whole song....until you're solo started to hit the high notes......hahah...but it was a nice performance...
Thanks for your comment Mark :). Nice to reed your daughter felt like dancing until I started to play in the range of an altosax :bluewink:!

+-+-+-+

Liked your sound on the Link, very smooth and full, but also heard some intonation issues (I recognize them from my own playing!). Well played solo, but at some places a bit straight in timing. In my ears you put quite some effects on your recorded sax track, which makes it more difficult to hear your natural alto sound.

+-+-+-+

I also found an old 2010 take of a solo I played over our TOTM during a Big Band rehearsal in 2010. It was recorded with a simple handheld recorder, no effects or solo mic used. I think this was one of the first times I played my Florida no USA 10* Otto Link (so it's has some intonation issues!), but the sound is quite close to my natural sound.

- 'Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium -Q Big Band 2010 - solo PB):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9533595

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's been a long time since I've played this one!

I think it's a deceptively challenging tune to play a solo on - there are some unexpected changes and you've really got to find the thread that ties them together. The melody makes it sound so easy, but it took me a couple hours today to get a grasp on that thread! The tempo is also challenging: somewhere between a ballad and swing, without really being the blues either. Really enigmatic; quintessential Ellington!

https://soundcloud.com/user-469623390%2Fdo-nothinin-till-you-hear-from-me-alto

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been a long time since I've played this one!

I think it's a deceptively challenging tune to play a solo on - there are some unexpected changes and you've really got to find the thread that ties them together. The melody makes it sound so easy, but it took me a couple hours today to get a grasp on that thread! The tempo is also challenging: somewhere between a ballad and swing, without really being the blues either. Really enigmatic; quintessential Ellington!

https://soundcloud.com/user-469623390%2Fdo-nothinin-till-you-hear-from-me-alto
Amazing...that only took you a couple of hours,,,it will take me a coupke if day to transcribe...so many paterns to analyse and practise ..good work

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
@Jazzboyfunk - Andy, nice version and good to see a new member posting here. Also good playing for only being on the horn shortly. You play a lot of notes at places, looks somtimes like hiding yourself for long notes. You could try to use a bit more subtone in the lower notes besides the full throat-ed low notes you used now.

@DanielHatfield - Daniel, welcome to the TOTM thread (I think it's the first time you post here). Very nice alto sound, timing and control. Great take, thanks for sharing :).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Amazing...that only took you a couple of hours,,,it will take me a coupke if day to transcribe...so many paterns to analyse and practise ..good work
Thanks! Of course, it actually took me 30 years... ;) Funny that you hear patterns. I have never really practiced patterns, which I consider to be a primary reason that I am not better after so long!

mrpeebee said:
@DanielHatfield - Daniel, welcome to the TOTM thread (I think it's the first time you post here). Very nice alto sound, timing and control. Great take, thanks for sharing :).
Thanks, my pleasure! I like the TOTM concept and hope to participate regularly!

1 - 20 of 140 Posts