Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,061 Posts
Mark has asked me to pick this months tune. I found this one by accident, it might even be young enough to call it a modern tune.
Written and performed by Elvis Costello, covered so well by Chet Baker

The tune is 'Almost Blue'

There are a couple of backing tracks here as well sheets, two different keys.

<link removed on request of OP>

I'll try and add a couple of piano-less tracks later this week.

A Chet Baker version here..

Have fun, looking forward to hearing some great emotive sax playing on this one.

If anybody wants anything different backing wise let me know and I'l try and sort it out..

Happy New Year:)

Chris..

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Great pick. Look forward to getting back recording. The xmas crazy gig run is nearly at an end, yeeee haaa.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just want to shout out for Chris,

His enthusiasm and provision of free resource to keep TOTM ticking along is nothing short of fantastic.

Thanks Chris......we owe you.

Sorry I can't find the time to contribute.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Very interesting and somewhat bold call, I think. Bravo! Should be a really interesting month!!!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Its great when tunes that are not the expected are called.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are now a couple more backing tracks added one is Bass and Drums, the other uses Guitar, Bass and Drums.
I've also so added both BiaB files for anyone to use as a template for their own backings.

It would have been real easy to open a RealBook and find a tune for this month. Hopefully it's a tune that guys like and
find interesting enough to play. There didn't seem to be lots of sax versions out there..

Chris..

·
Registered
609 Posts
There are now a couple more backing tracks added one is Bass and Drums, the other uses Guitar, Bass and Drums.
I've also so added both BiaB files for anyone to use as a template for their own backings.

It would have been real easy to open a RealBook and find a tune for this month. Hopefully it's a tune that guys like and
find interesting enough to play. There didn't seem to be lots of sax versions out there..

Chris..

It`s a great piece of music for sure. Happy new year guys.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Thanks Chris :).

·
Registered
500 Posts

Chris..
Mmm, the long-lost cousin of My Funny Valentine turns up as the lovechild of Elvis Costello and Bebe Buell...

Fabulous choice, Chris.... and thanks for all the great backings and charts! Several months ago I was unsuccessfully looking for charts for this tune (not primarily with sax in mind though), so this is just great! I'm a big fan of Costello/McManus.... loved this tune as soon as it came out on Imperial Bedroom (great record). So retro in that context... but nevertheless fitting perfectly as a foil to many of the other songs, and so perfectly done that it sounded like a long-lost tune from the smoky clubs of the forties.

Do you have a concert chart? I transcribed the melody in concert key from the original (A minor) Costello version, put in lyrics, and also transposed for Bb instruments (i.e. to B minor) in MuseScore, but never put in the chords... the ones in your chart "Almost Blue1a" (in B minor) sound right for the original key of concert A minor, (and most of the melody looks remarkably similar except maybe for measure 5 of the main form (measure 9 if you number including the intro)). I guess I can input your chords into MuseScore and transpose back to concert key...

(Anyone interested in melody (slightly more stylized, rhythmically, than in Chris' charts) with lyrics, which is what I have so far, PM me within the next few days...)

Howard

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thought I'd also post the youtube of the original Elvis Costello version of the song. Baker's is nice, there's also a Diana Krall that you can find on the tube that's enjoyable but maybe a little overdone, but I still think DPM's original is the best I've heard, really useful listening for digging into how to state the melody on this one.

Elvis Costello, Almost Blue, from Imperial Bedroom (1982):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t-jTG1oSC4

Howard

·
Registered
500 Posts
A question for Chris Re: SOTW TOTM for January 2014 - Almost Blue

I like the guitar backing track, Chris. Is there a particular chart that you've posted that goes with it? Right now I'm playing in concert A minor, and starting the melody with the track (i.e. assuming no intro). It seems to work OK but sometimes something seems off. Could be my timing (but also sometimes playing in the wrong key works for most of the chords but not a few...).

I can probably figure out what's going on from the bass line, etc... if necessary... but I figure you probably can set me straight.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Howard, V2 has a 4 bar intro, they all have just in-case anyone else is wondering, the melody seems to fit because if you look at the chords for the
intro and then the first four bars of the tune they are almost the same.. Reading your previous posts I think you are glad this tune has come up in the
TOTM thread. As for the charts one came from 'Scribd' and one from the youtube video. As we know things can get altered or missed as transcriptions get
written down for these tunes. Hopefully the tracks and charts will give everyone a good idea for what is going on, then they can add there own verse as
they say..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Love this tune, and will be busy for the next week or two, so I'd better get something up now. I could use more time to familiarize myself with the chords and get some licks worked out, but for now, perhaps this will almost do:

MP3:

https://db.tt/zbNW5Zn9

Same thing in WAV (needs more bandwidth):

https://db.tt/79PzmLky

Again, fabulous pick, thanks Chris!

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love this tune, and will be busy for the next week or two, so I'd better get something up now. I could use more time to familiarize myself with the chords and get some licks worked out, but for now, perhaps this will almost do:

MP3:

https://db.tt/zbNW5Zn9

Same thing in WAV (needs more bandwidth):

https://db.tt/79PzmLky

Again, fabulous pick, thanks Chris!
Howard, quick off the mark. Nice to hear you not try and fill it full of notes and just play an improv melody.
You get the feeling you like this one. Hope you get some more time later in the month, nice first posting.

Chris..

·
Registered
406 Posts
@PowerOfSoul Congrats...your the first posting a recording of this tune ( if i am not mistaken...) Its hard not having any examples :) well as good as none on sax out there...) ..I know..because i just finished my recording as well..will post it in a bit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Okay here it is..my very first attempt at this song...its nothing like Summertime..but I like the tune....I am going to enjoy, exploring it more.
It's a new tune, never heard it before Chris selected it, so ...learning while playing..and that is what I love about this forum.
I hope some inspiring recordings ( from you guys) will follow so that is have a source of inspiration to make me next recording better.
https://soundcloud.com/donnersm%2Falmost-blue-alto-sax-totm

1 - 20 of 120 Posts