Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel excited when asked by LiAm84 to pick the first TOTM for 2012. I chose Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock because I felt that it was time for a more funky tune. This tune have been wih me from the beginning when I started to listen to jazz. People like Herbie Hancock got me into jazz with his funky style in the early 1960's. Cantaloupe Island was released on the 1964 album "Empyrean Isles".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfsnVYVd3iI

Live version with Freddie Hubbard and Joe Henderson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqwmDNPegnM

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi SA2 ! Happy New Year, up there ! Nice pick, which is gonna force "old style" players like me out of their II-V-I socks. Looking forward to hear all those creations.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
One of my favorite versions was the live take by DeJohnette-Metheny-Hancock-Holland...was lucky enough to see this group on the Parallel Realities tour.

http://youtu.be/XrgP1u5YWEg

Love it when Herbie goes "old school" towards the end..real crowd pleaser. Metheny also played this on his trio tour following Questions and Answers with Holland and DeJohnette. Wonder if biab has a "Head Hunters" style?!?

I think the video my be the same date as the Parallel Realities live CD...Metheny's really enjoying himself on this one - great to see players of this stature up there just jamming out and having so much fun!!! Pure Joy.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Nice one - I'm in!
Thanks for the clips Superaction & Fsax. I have to admit that there's something with the sound of Pat Metheny that just doesn't want to agree with me - but I have to bow down to his playing. Certainly that fast one with Roy Haynes is great. Funny how the right notes can overcome a sound I don't dig. And loved the one with Shorter!

I agree that it might be fun to do this one in different tempos - the original recording with Tony Williams has this cool laid back groove to it (even though they speed up some).

Now for a backing track...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Herbie is so damn funky!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have a friend who likes to say "sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission." With that spirit in mind, I took the liberty of adding my saxophone to Herbie's 1974 funky and atmospheric keyboard version. (My sincere apologies to the great Mr. Hancock!!!)

Had fun with this one, quite a different concept than my usual. Just an fyi, it's quite long...hopefully engaging enough to hold everyone's interest.

Cantelopia

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Face Ache Mike, Cool version. I like your idea with the call and respons thing! The backing sounds a bit cheesy, so cheesy it become hip actually. Nice soprano head also.

Shawn, Pshycodelic funk. Minimalistic and relaxed. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Face Ache Mike, I agree with superaction2 about the backing track being cheesy on first pass, however, after a bit I thought I was listening to a Tarantino soundtrack sequence. You have an interesting way of integrating the different instruments. In the end, I would like to hear more saxophone. Maybe you layed back a bit too much. "Play more notes!"

Shawn, I liked what you were playing. Really nice tone. No offense to Mr. Hancock, but I don't think he is serving you well in this instance! I admit I don't know the album/version that you are playing with but, I found what you were doing more interesting than the backing track and found that it made it harder to hear you! Hopefully someone here with greater perception than me will help me to articulate this feeling.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
Thanks guys, thats very encouraging. I used a midi file as backing and wasn`t that keen on it myself. This was my first contribution to the main TOTM, even though I post in the beginners section regularly, I`m hoping this year to progress enough to not embarrass myself amongst you guys.

Flaneur, I`m enjoying yours... Its laid back yet full. I notice you start off quite relaxed but as the tune goes on, you expand more and have more to say. Is that by design/your intention or was it because you started off with something set in mind then improvised later?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Already some quite weird versions out there !

Face, you're funky take is like a carnival mosaic. Love it, not only are you the first, but you set the weirdness mark pretty high. I'm happy to hear some others playing with multitracking. I was also thinking about mocking/sampling the famous "Cantaloop", you shot first, and yours is spot on.

Shawn, the funk of The Master as background. Great idea. What else ... Very nice pensive Head Hunters ambiance.

Flâneur, more in the 60's modal mood. Once again I'm impressed by your alto tone. Smooth with some edge. Gives your take a very sophisticated touch. You're nicely building, staying cool, but taking advantage of the changes and accents given by the drummer.

Here is my take, leaning towards a "smoothish soft funk". The ending was supposed to fade out, but I kept that funny suspended e-piano chord.
Quand t'as loupé ton élan ....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wow...

Mike - different for sure, I think you were on to some good ideas with the call and response element, I would like to hear a bit more from you though, even if you work through and script some changes around the head. Hearing some of your past work I get the feeling you were holding back on this tune.

Fsaxwas9, Flaneur and dexdex - excellent playing folks, each version was completely different and engaging through the entire song.

I really enjoyed listening to each song! Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 157 Posts