Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everyone!

I’ve been asked by Randy (saxyguy32578) to be this months TOTM decider- thanks Randy, you were a great host for the TOTM.

Lets celebrate the New Year by embarking on a musical “Maiden Voyage”.

This laid back classic by jazz great Herbie Hancock leaves lots of space for creating your own vibe.

You will find it the Real Book Vol. 1 and it is on a number of play alongs.

Here’s a link to the original release:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmRQ0PBtXU

I am really looking forward to everyone’s participation.

·
Registered
756 Posts
well I thought I'd better check out for myself what 'modal jazz' is, and what you can do to enliven the imrpovs. while browsing i came across some nice discussion on the 'AllAboutJazz' forum, and even a thread specifically about Maiden Voyage, so it might be worth looking into. Even though this is quite basic stuff I found it useful to help focus..

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=7727

Nice take Jeff - very strong tone and a good build up of the solo.

For myself, I can see that the challenge here is going to be how to construct something meaningful without giving into temptation and flying wildly all over the place..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jeff - Definitely agree w/Madav - you started the month off right! Great job! Excellent sound, excellent recording, great improv, and super playing! Set the bar way up there right from the start! Bravo!
Randy

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jeff - [...] Set the bar way up there right from the start! Bravo!
Randy
Making it easy for me to limbo on under it with lots of room to spare... this take got a bit weird and slightly "out" toward the end:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2877765/TwistedVoyage.mp3

Jeff, I can only agree with Randy and Madav that once again you've laid down a great track. And thanks for the choice of tune---this one's lots of fun to play, and relatively easy to make something coherent-sounding to...

Happy 2011 to all!

Howard

·
Registered
500 Posts
For myself, I can see that the challenge here is going to be how to construct something meaningful without giving into temptation and flying wildly all over the place..
Oh, go ahead and give in, Madav! You know you want to, and we'd love to hear the results!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
@saxguy1953: Wow Jeff, that's a terrific take, great sound, great improvisation. Makes it difficult for everybody to come out of your shade!
@PowerOfSoul: Hello Howard. I liked your adventurous approach, nice mood.
@Mike Cesati: Like your sound, nice and dark. Good impro too, very nice take.

I have the usual excuses (not really my song, no time to study the chords properly, bla bla...), but managed to finish 3 takes late this evening. It's now over 3:30 AM and I have to work tomorrow, so not to much text. Let the music speak!

- Take 1: will spare you to listen to that one, too free I guess!
- Take 2: the cleanest of the three. Here it is: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10071923
- Take 3: with some more freedom. Here it is: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10071977

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Madav- thanks, appreciate it. Looking forward to your take.

Randy- thank you so much bro and I am looking forward to your take.

Power of Soul- thanks for your kind words. I am glad you like the tune choice. Great spirit in your playing. Try the melody statement up an octave from where your are playing it. You are playing some nice outside stuff!
Remember too that the tune is based on 4 Dorian scales/ chords.
In tenor key the basic layout is: B- (4 bars) D- (4bars) B- (4 bars) D-(4 bars) C-(4 bars) Eb-(4 bars) B- (4 bars) D- (4 bars). Try a little more inside-outside.

Mike- Thanks so much. Sounds tight. Great sound, dug the feel right from the start. Loved what you were doing at 2:02-2:20. Nice cohesive solo.

Mrpeebee- appreciate you listening to my take.
I listened to take 2 & 3. Take 3 was more fluid to my ears and showcased your good sound. Also great spirit to your playing. I hope you become more familar with the melody and the changes over the course of the month. Sing some of your ideas/improvs with the backing track and then try to play what you sing.

Great stuff, keep them coming!:bluewink:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Wow, hadn't taken a swing at this one in years! Good to try something a little different for me, away from my "comfort zone" if there is such a thing. I'm planning to put a little spin on this one later, maybe spice it up a little.

Just some fooling around, trying out the new mixer, and trying to push myself a bit. Little pitchy in a few spots, think my reed was starting to go south.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10076008&q=hi&newref=1

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Jeff, lovely take. Very nice tone, lots of core, beautiful mids and georgeus highs! I appreciate your beautiful melodical lines also.

Mike, Thanks for your posting, creative playing! At first I was turned off by the mediocre recording quality but after listening for a while I forgot about it and hear that you have good ideas and really develop them in a good way. Thanks for posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
"Mike, Thanks for your posting, creative playing! At first I was turned off by the mediocre recording quality but after listening for a while I forgot about it and hear that you have good ideas and really develop them in a good way. Thanks for posting "

Thanks Superaction, I have to get back to trying to make my Zoom work with the Audacity. You guys always have such great sounding tracks. I did the best I could for now till I have a chance to mess with the gear. Maybe I'll do a 2 nd one to try and up the quality.

As you can see I even have trouble with the Quote function ???

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shawn, I like how you are exploring the whole register of the sax and creating interesting melodical fragments. Your playing reminds me of coltrane and your take feels "free". Thanks!
Shawn- I agree with Roger (superaction2). Nice take, free and good pacing in your solo.

Roger- thanks for the kind words, really hope you are able to do a take this month.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts