Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let my wish you all the best wishes for the new Year! May it bring out the best in all of us.
Second, let me say sorry for starting the new TOTM 1 or 2 days early...Dec 31 is just to busy to do this so...that's why I post today..
Thanks to -TH for hosting Decembers's TOTM Infant eyes. Altough it was not my favourite kind of tune( but that goes for all balads) i gave it my best shot...and so did so many of you! Great job done! All of us!

The TOTM of Januari is a tune I first played after i learned my first jazz lines...i guess i played for 3 months then...so after many years, I figured it;s time to dust it off...
Gerry Muligan's Walkin' Shoes!
It's not a difficult tune so everyone should be able to keep up! There are some great oppertunities for Bariton players..--> let them be heared!!

Now let me clear up something, there are many players out here that are a lot better than me....And i'm sure a lot of them would blow me to pieces on a sax stand-off...... So that being said, let me point out that, like most players in this forum, I play for fun....it's no more than a hobby... I have no profesional background in music so most of the feedback I will give is related to taste rather than knowledge..... Please consider any feedback given as a way to look on your own recording again...it might give you new insides for the next recording or it might simply confirm that you did a great job and maybe you dont want to change anything....It will never be my ( or anyone else for that matter, i guess) intention to insold anyone....

Pfew....that's off my chest...So for those of you who wonder what I can contribute other than taste here's a quick bio.
I played Klarinet in the local band ( harmonie in Dutch) when i was 7 years old (1980) but I give up after two or three years
Out of the blue, I bought an Alt Sax for fun in 1997.... (I felt like something was missing) An i hired a teacher to teach me the basics.
In 1999 he introduced me to one of the greatest Jazz Sax player in this region, Harrie Lambrichts. With Harrie I learned to improvise and he tought me how to analyse the harmonics of a jazz Song. Little side note: He never failed his job, He tought me great stuff...it's rather me and lack of time to blame that i didn't get most out of it....I learn only so much as i was able to study next to a full time job...If you live in Holland and need a great teacher , he's the one you should see...
I studied with him until about 2008....During that time i played in a jazz combo, A pop band and a Big Band...
in 2010 i layed down my horn so i could concentrate on my studies in Engineering..
And in 2013 I had my horn restored and started to play again..I even bought an cheap soprano on the side...

Enough talk....
I proudly present the TOTM Januari 2015
http://www.judoles.nl/walkin shoes.zip

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Well said!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Let me post the first track. It's an old studio recording from 1999, done with the (amateur) combo I played in at that time (Bob Session). My tenor solo starts at 3:06, after the baritione and clarinet solo. I was still playing on my first mouthpiece that I played for almost 20 years, an Otto Link Early Babbitt 8*.

- 'Walkin' Shoes' (Early Babbitt 8* - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9607310

Will post an old recording of 2011 from the B&I thread later this week and also hope to make a new one if I can find a new place to make recordings before the end of the month (I currently can't play or practise at all, outside a weekly Big Band rehearsal).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me post the first track. It's an old studio recording from 1999, done with the (amateur) combo I played in at that time (Bob Session). My tenor solo starts at 3:06, after the baritione and clarinet solo. I was still playing on my first mouthpiece that I played for almost 20 years, an Otto Link Early Babbitt 8*.

- 'Walkin' Shoes' (Early Babbitt 8* - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9607310

Will post an old recording of 2011 from the B&I thread later this week and also hope to make a new one if I can find a new place to make recordings before the end of the month (I currently can't play or practise at all, outside a weekly Big Band rehearsal).
Was it all done by the combo or did you use a backing track? The recording is very clear, you van tell it's a studio recording.
I fell in love with the clarinet....( as a sax player how wicket is that haha) Your Sax solo after the klarinet follows the solo set by the klarinet...love it.
I also noticed that the theme is very nice in sync with each other.
Very nice recording....

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Was it all done by the combo or did you use a backing track? The recording is very clear, you van tell it's a studio recording.
I fell in love with the clarinet....( as a sax player how wicket is that haha) Your Sax solo after the klarinet follows the solo set by the klarinet...love it.
I also noticed that the theme is very nice in sync with each other.
Very nice recording....
Thanks for commenting Mark :).

The track was recorded by the band including a real rhythm section, so no backing track involved. We recorded an amateur CD back in 1999 and this was actually the last tune we did, with only ten studio minutes left. So it was one take without any corrections or re-trials. I made a mistake in the harmony at 0:13 seconds, for the rest I think it's a good take. Our clarinet player (Bob Ross) was the leader of the combo and the only (former) professional musician in the band (which you can clearly hear!). The combo stopped about 10 years ago. Bob didn't have the energy anymore to lead it and we didn't have another person who could replace him. Still miss that combo, we had a great time for many years!

Here is an old picture of the band: PBBobR10.jpg

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Can't stay behind then..can I? Did my last recoding of the year...just before i will leave for Sylvester party...

https://soundcloud.com/donnersm%2Fwalking-shoes-alto
That's a nice take Mark :). Liked how you played the opening theme and also how you started and builded the solo. You seem to play with more swing feel now compared to what I remember from older takes. The ending theme needs a bit more attention, but that will come with further practise. Your alto sound with this mouthpiece is very clear and has a lot highs and mids, it gave me some soprano vibes at places.

Enjoy the Sylvester party!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
We had this tune as TOTM in 2011 in the Beginners/Intermediates thread, but mosts people posting here didn't attend then.
That was one of those months that a lot of other tunes were posted and very few versions of the actual TOTM were done (3 maybe)

Always liked crazydaiseydoo's version on tenor:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well said!
Yes, indeed! I just want to add my wishes to each and all a very Happy New Year 2015. I enjoyed each month's contributions and critiques during 2014. I continue to learn so much from TOTM, and I appreciate your willingness to both contribute your takes and your comments. Thank you, with hopes for more contributions from me in 2015.

May you have health and happiness, and may every box of reeds be 100% fantastic,

Bob

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a nice take Mark :). Liked how you played the opening theme and also how you started and builded the solo. You seem to play with more swing feel now compared to what I remember from older takes. The ending theme needs a bit more attention, but that will come with further practise. Your alto sound with this mouthpiece is very clear and has a lot highs and mids, it gave me some soprano vibes at places.

Enjoy the Sylvester party!
The ending?? Bummer, i was planimg on a fade out but forgot to do so while beeing in a hurry,,, just ignore the ending ;-)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
May you have health and happiness, and may every box of reeds be 100% fantastic,

Bob
Thanks Bob and the same wishes for you and all others here :).

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

Here is the other old recording, the second take as recorded in 2011. I didn't play the melody as written, but tried to improvise a bit around it. Also recorded on the Florida no USA 10*, my main mouthpiece since almost five years now.

- 'Walkin' Shoes' (Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium - take 2): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10875740

Sounding a bit wilder and less smooth then on the older 1999 track.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Crazy, When I saw the title I was like "Oh, Walkin Shoes. I've played that hundreds of times" And then I realized it was not the Blues Standard Walkin Shoes but a totally different song I've never heard in my life.

Cool.

Melody seems doable for me. Hopefully I can get a take in this month.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Hi All out there. First of all: HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :bluewink2:

Having been on and off the TOTM lately, actually more off than on, I usually just come by to see what tune is on, and well, for this month, I'm very tempted to participate, but in a kind of cheap way. Picking an existing recording.

I'm the lucky and happy member of a 5tet, recently "upgraded" to a 6tet, made of 3 baritones and rhythm. A late friend of us, brilliant sax player himself, could source from Mr. Cuber a bunch of arrangements for 3 baris, those he recorded with N. Brignola & G. Smulyan a couple of years ago on very nice tribute to G. Mulligan.

The "Shoes" are among the list, so I picked a version we recorded last November live at a local club. Useless to say, it is a huge (litteraly: as one of our hosts said, 6 meters and 20 kg of saxophone at once) fun to play in that format, trading solos among 3 baris.
To preserve my colleague's privacy, I skipped the beginning and only kept the last solo which happens to be mine, and the ending. You'll notice that I start in a rather hesitating mode, just after the applause for our pianist's solo. If I remember well, I couldn't hear the bass line very well, so it took me a full 16 bars to feel safe. Real life...

Les chaussures de marche

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
@dexdex - Great post Dex, really liked your solo and the rhythm section too. Sounds like fun to play in such a setting. I recently saw three baritone's (Ronnie Cuber, Rik van den Bergh, Jan Menu) live here in Amsterdam and that was great fun too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@dexdex overwelving sound of saxes, Nice relackng opening But the theme at the end was a bit over the top to my taste, like there where to many voices singing there own version of the theme, But than again, i don't hear a lot of tunes in this setting so i could be way off

3,364 Posts
Hi All out there. First of all: HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :bluewink2:

Having been on and off the TOTM lately, actually more off than on, I usually just come by to see what tune is on, and well, for this month, I'm very tempted to participate, but in a kind of cheap way. Picking an existing recording.

I'm the lucky and happy member of a 5tet, recently "upgraded" to a 6tet, made of 3 baritones and rhythm. A late friend of us, brilliant sax player himself, could source from Mr. Cuber a bunch of arrangements for 3 baris, those he recorded with N. Brignola & G. Smulyan a couple of years ago on very nice tribute to G. Mulligan.

The "Shoes" are among the list, so I picked a version we recorded last November live at a local club. Useless to say, it is a huge (litteraly: as one of our hosts said, 6 meters and 20 kg of saxophone at once) fun to play in that format, trading solos among 3 baris.
To preserve my colleague's privacy, I kept the last solo which happens to be mine, and the ending. You'll notice that I start in a rather hesitating mode, just after the applause for our pianist's solo. If I remember well, I couldn't hear the bass line very well, so it took me a full 16 bars to feel safe. Real life...

Les chaussures de marche
Short & Sweet.:)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts