Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No new host volunteered for this month, so I just post something for the attenders to stay busy...

This month TOTM will be "If I Should Lose You".

Scores:
View attachment If I Should Lose You (Am for Bb instr) - RB2.pdf
View attachment If I Should Lose You (Em for Eb instr) - RB2.pdf

YouTube backings:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=if+i+should+lose+you+backing+track

I probably won't be very active as a 'real' host this month. Would be nice if we can play that role together.

Have fun! :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love this tune! Good choice. Mulgrew Miller did an insanely good (non-saxophone) version of this on one of his Live at the Kennedy Center albums.
Would be nice to see a recording from you. :)

I did this tune in July 2017, when I still had a place to make (quick and dirty) recordings in the studio of a friend.

- 'If I Should Lose You' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13605190

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Camille take is very nice Nick. Seen her before in Coltrane tunes, amazing lady.

@Lionel, not easy with such a backing, but you did a good job.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,268 Posts
Why not streamline to one tune of the month thread since most of the posters are the same in both current threads? Perhaps one host picks two songs or something to give an option, but two threads populated largely by the same users with both struggling to find monthly hosts is redundant.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not streamline to one tune of the month thread since most of the posters are the same in both current threads? Perhaps one host picks two songs or something to give an option, but two threads populated largely by the same users with both struggling to find monthly hosts is redundant.
The original idea (on request of the SOTW members) was to have two threads for different playing levels (an advanced and beginner/intermediate TOTM). Nowadays we have far less people attending TOTM and the ones who post are indeed often the same people. I still want to stick to this concept, we might get better times (like in the past) with more people attending and than we can also be a bit more critical on the type of tunes (especially the level) chosen.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,268 Posts
Yes, continuing to try the same thing over and over again without change regardless of previous failure is bound to succeed...

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, continuing to try the same thing over and over again without change regardless of previous failure is bound to succeed...
Feel free to host a next TOTM and show us the light (didn't see much constructive attendance of you anyhow in the TOTM history).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
@Lionel, not easy with such a backing, but you did a good job.
Thank you, in fact it's very comfortable, better than a rhythm section that plays muddy chords and doesn't let the bass play.
Less is more.

Cool ! Love the subtones in the head.
Excellent solo too - I would have got lost for sure. (I need at least a trio or I'm hooped .. :bluewink: )
Thank you, the secret of the subtones is into a brand new reed, not too hard to play, Vandoren ZZ 3.

Really enjoyable take Lionel.
Reminded me of Sonny Rollins in parts.
Thank you, very nice compliment, I love Dexter Gordon and Sonny Rollins.
The biggest poetry into perfect imperfections.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,398 Posts
Yes, that was cool, I'm sure it can be better if you try it again, you've got an open sound, what do you use ?
Thanks Lionel.
I used an Otto Link STM 9* Florida USA on that one, with a Rigotti 2.5 reed.
Or maybe it was a Vandoren Java Green? I’m not sure.
Horn is a 32 Selmer Super Series.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I liked the natural sound in the clip Brendan. The solo had some nice lines, but also a lot of 'ornaments'. Playing less notes at parts could make it sound more fluent as a whole.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts