Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
TOTM for February is........ wait for it...............

Limehouse Blues

This is a tune that I find difficult to navigate, but I'm sure the SOTW crowd will surprise us w/ there musical prowess and diversity...

Here's a couple of versions I've found on youtube:

Django Reinhardt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En7EGSxUbTM

This is the one that introduced me to the tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTAjh1pjsFI
(can't get much more swingin' saxophone than that)

Even a Bluegrass version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNS54hBTdo

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Nice choice. Tough tune.
Gypsy guys play it in G concert while modern jazzers tend to play it in Ab concert.

Cannonball is amazing on that version.

Harry Allen sounds great here:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These tunes with all V chords are so hard for me...
I know you can imply the II chord, but to just think in the mode of a V chord it leaves so many options.
Anyway these types of tune are harder than they look!!
Good luck and looking forward to all the submissions.

Which reminds me... Sometimes my life gets CRAZY busy w/ work and family obligations....
so I'm not the best person to rely on comment/feedback stuff, but it doesn't mean I'm not trying to listen to all the takes.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Anyway these types of tune are harder than they look!!
Oeps, for me it does look already difficult (just found the score) :|... But I will post something anyway :)!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I started this thing, I might as well post what I have so far. I've been trying to get a descent showing, but this tune seems to elude me a bit.
All I had available at the moment is the iRealBook app on my phone (which is a great app for learning tunes) The track is a bit "corny", but it plays. It had a little bit different changes than how I first learned it... anyway:

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah

I don't think it needs to be played at such a fast tempo so I might work on a slower version... whew.. who called this tune anyway??

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Whew--nice playing Paul! Think I might be sitting this one out for sure, but I'll be glad to hear with the rest of you cats can do with it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Well I started this thing, I might as well post what I have so far. ...... whew.. who called this tune anyway??
In the past I worked in the software industry, we used to call this "eat your own dogfood". :twisted:

Nice take, anyway. We didn't expect any less from you ....:bluewink:

You keep up with the speed and the changes. And again I'm a fan of your sound and articulation. You set the standard quite high for us... :|

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Thanks!

But i still think it doesn't have to be so fast... I'm going to try a slower version..

I think what makes this tune seem harder is the tempo (and the key of Ab) but those can be changed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Hey Paul, that was beautiful man. You sounded pretty comfortable at that tempo and even after 4 choruses I wanted to hear more. Yeah, who called this mofo tune!(lol).
I can't get the Trane & Cannonball version out of my head and the complete mastery both had at that tempo, especially with Trane running the altered roots sequences and Cannonball just tearing it up.
I hope I get some time this month to shed on this a bit and maybe Ill put a take together, but you set the bar awfully high.

·
3,120 Posts

·
3,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Wow, Paul, just Wow! What everyone else said is right on. Think I plan to miss this one, but really enjoyed your playing on this.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts