Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this Joe Henderson Tune "Serenity" would be a nice one to check out for February.

Here's 2 versions of Joe playing the tune.

"In and Out" 1964
Kenny Dorham, trumpet; McCoy Tyner, piano; Richard Davis, bass;
Elvin Jones, drums
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/Joe%20Henderson%20Serenity.mp3

"Joe Henderson Big Band" 1996
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/Joe%20Henderson%20Big%20Band%20Serenity.mp3

Below is an attachment for the sheet music in Concert... I don't have a play along but I think Aebersold did a Joe Henderson play along, not sure if this tune is on it, anyone?

Here's me playing it a while ago in NYC with Willie Jones III on drums,
Danton Boller on bass and Chuck MacKinnon on trumpet...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1252848/WilleJonesIII%28Drums%29DantonBoller%28Bass%29MattOtto%28Sax%29ChuckMacKinnon%28Trumper%29Serenity.mp3

·
Registered
545 Posts
OH BOY! I love Joe Henderson! I think this song is in the Aebersold book. I had it a while ago, and MIGHT have seen it in there. But this one is an exciting one so Ill try and get a recording of this one up.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
It is indeed in Aebersold Vol. 108 Joe Henderson.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cool tune to pick Matt. Looks like a challenging sequence. Thanks for posting those mp3s too, that big band version is quite something, loved your quartet too

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Looking for a backing track. Also the In and Out version the head is different than the real book chart. We've been playing the In and Out version at our gigs lately. looking forward to trying a recording please contact me with a PM about a back track if you can. Thanks

Just to clarify I do not have a backing track but hope someone will help us out on that .

·
Registered
500 Posts
... Also the In and Out version the head is different than the real book chart.
Mike, which edition and volume of the Real Book have this? I'm guessing 2nd edn. vol. I, since I have vols. II and II (and the 6th edn. vol. I, which seems to be the only one), and it's not in those. Unfortunately I only see playalong discs for the 6th edn, and 2nd edn. vol. II, on the Hal Leonard site.

For the B flat chart "provided by Henderson" it says in the introduction, there's a Henderson solo transcriptions book by Don Sickler that I happen to have... at Amazon it's:

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Henderson...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296662287&sr=8-1

The tenor sax melody given in the Sickler book "as recorded...on IN AND OUT" is a little bit different from the one in Matt's PDF mainly in measures 9-10, probably because the tenor is playing harmony there (the trumpet melody is given also). Elsewhere I think Matt's PDF may contain some notated ornamentation but is basically the same. Chords look quite similar (there are differences, but few and on first glance these look either fairly trivial, or like different voicings of the same underlying chord). Possibly the most significant difference is the sharp 11th (= sharp 4th) added to the concert EM7 (tenor G flat M7) in bar 11, and the Fm7 (tenor Gm7) in the following bar. (Will make a huge difference to my interpretation, I'm sure :bluewink:.) Obviously exactly how it's done varies from recording to recording...

Nice choice of tune, Matt, and thanks for the chart & recordings. Will be a challenge I'm sure.

·
1,877 Posts
Matt posted it. That's from the Real Book 2 I think. It's a pepper adams version that they copped. The In an Out is what we do . I learned the thing by ear and I play the tenor part. here"s a chord chart for the blowing .

tenor key E-b5 / A7b9 / Bb maj #11 Ab maj #11 / F#- B7 /G-7 C7 / Fmaj E-b5 A7 / D-7 / Bb- Eb7 /

Ab7 / G7 / F# maj7#11 / G-7 C7 + / Fmaj7 / E-b5 A7 / it's a 14 bar tune

Ps it looks easier than it is for me. I have trouble with this tune but just listen to Joe

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Matt, thanks for those mp3's. Very useful when you don't know the tune :). It looks like a good one to work on.

BTW, the pdf that Matt posted is from "The Real Book, All new Volume II"

Mike, thanks for the Joe Henderson changes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Matt, I've had no opportunity to play the tune through yet - I don't know it, I have to confess. I never paid too much attention to Joe Henderson before - played some of his tunes, that's all. But I'm on a true Henderson binge now and discovering an amazingly original player - why didn't I pay notice all those years?
So, thanks for setting me off and I hope to post some recording soon.

Reine

·
4,241 Posts
Reine, just wanted to say congrats on the new horn, you sound great on it, is it a silversonic?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Um, Im not sure if this is okay or not, but I just wanted to extend a helping hand. If you need backing tracks, I have the Aebersold version of it. You can email me @ [email protected] if you want me to send you an mp3 file of it. :)

EDIT: Its not an mp3 file. Its an m4a file, but it should still play the same. Also, I will make sure to get back to you in a timely manner. Thanks guys! :)

-----!!!! 2nd EDIT !!!!------

So just so you guys know, it has been brought to my attention that the file I have is actually an AAC file, so it might not work for those of you who use specific recording programs and what not. Just thought I'd mention this so Im not sending you something you cant use. I dont have any way of converting the file into an mp3 file, but if you have a way to convert it, Ill happily send you one. Thanks guys for all your inquiries and for the heads up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Reine, just wanted to say congrats on the new horn, you sound great on it, is it a silversonic?
Thank you Rufus! No, it's a regular S20, 406xxx late Cleveland - with great keywork. Looks like a well worn jeans... At this point I can say it's the best tenor I've ever played. Well, I only played 3 tenors ever so that doesn't mean that much I guess...

Reine

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Guys -

My apologies for being away over the recent past. Alot of things going on in my life that I've needed to attend to. I'm back!

I'll index and update the TOTM submissions as I had been doing previously. This month's index can be found here.

Great work over the past few months everyone - I had been checking in from time to time and listening...

Frank

1 - 20 of 121 Posts