Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So it's my turn to host the official tune of the month. This month's theme is the SOUND and interpretation, so it's time for a ballad! I choose Wayne Shorter's "Infant Eyes" which is a very beautiful song with interesting chord changes.

SHEET MUSIC

For Bb-instruments : View attachment INFANT EYES_Bb.pdf
For Eb-instruments : View attachment INFANT EYES_Eb.pdf

BACKING TRACK

A backing track is found on Aebersold no. 33 "Wayne Shorter"
On Youtube there's one backing track (with some noise on it...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvuOmN40Qlo

Has anyone more backing tracks for this tune?

Original version by Wayne Shorter : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gujh-gDJBvw

Here's Joshua Redman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-BB2JSlhoc

And Stan Getz : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40zZD7ckwKU

This is a great tune to exercise your long tones ;) Experiment with different vibrato styles (or don't use it at all) , listen to your SOUND, and there's so much space so use it wisely!

Waiting anxiously for your versions! And thanks Arno for letting me host this!

I'll post my version soon.

Thanks,
-TH

Attachments

3,364 Posts
This is a ver I did a while back. Clarinet and Sop. Listening to it now, I would have made the opening Clarinet a bit shorter { no pun intended. Ha Ha.} Because the tune is a bit funeral like anyway and the low reg. Clarinet sounds more like the opening of Tchaikovsky,s 6 Symphony. But it does cheer up a bit when the Soprano enters the fray. Look forward to doing another ver when I get my King Tenor back from the tech.

https://app.box.com/s/jugnxqrgmd2yiucducfo

·
3,303 Posts
This is a ver I did a while back. Clarinet and Sop. Listening to it now, I would have made the opening Clarinet a bit shorter { no pun intended. Ha Ha.} Because the tune is a bit funeral like anyway and the low reg. Clarinet sounds more like the opening of Tchaikovsky,s 6 Symphony. But it does cheer up a bit when the Soprano enters the fray. Look forward to doing another ver when I get my King Tenor back from the tech.

https://app.box.com/s/jugnxqrgmd2yiucducfo
really nice. You sound great on both horns.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Hadn't played through this in a long time, really difficult tune harmonically. Definitely beyond my present abilities, but I gave it a read through anyhow... I labeled it baseline because I might come back at this again later with a better (and less pitchy) reed.

https://soundcloud.com/fsaxwas9/infant-eyes-baseline

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Ah, I can't wait to give this tune a stab! I'll be throwing my name back into the hat for a while.

Finally able to play again (at least as soon as my horn is through shipping). Got a new sax and setup, and I look forward to listening and playing with everyone again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very, very nice pick -TH! Really love this one. Never even tried to play it. I'm always a bit intimidated by the the original versions of nice ballads like this one (same for Coltrane ballads).
Maybe I can try an alto version so I don't have to compare so much...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
-TH, do you have a concert key version of this. I'd like to take it to a Jam and not sure I'll have the time to transpose for the rhythm section.

·
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! Three takes already! Let's keep this going on. I'm still trying to decide which horn to use on this one..

Ballad state of Mind: First, a great choice of instruments! A nice, dark, haunting and full clarinet sound. Very tasteful playing. Watch the intonation on that Bb-note (it was a bit flat). The intonation on your soprano was very good although it’s a very demanding instrument. A very relaxed feeling (nice background btw!) and overall it was a pleasure listening to your version.

mascio: Very lyrical tenor playing! I love that dark, robust sound of yours. Your high notes were a bit sharp. But that’s just a small thing... But your SOLO! Man.. tasteful and great lines that really did justice to this song! Great work.

fsaxwas9: Yup, those chords are not the easiest ones in this tune, especially those “slash chords” for example Emaj7#4/Eb (in the key of concert C). Could Dave Pollack for example want to “open up” these chord changes for us? I couldn’t find any chord analysis on “Infant Eyes” on the web.

A very solid, centered and strong tenor sound you have there! Although, as you mentioned, this is a hard tune but you still managed to survive, very well done ;) You have “a good ear” and you play musically because I didn’t hear any major problems with the chord changes in your playing. Solid playing!

And I'm sorry but I'm quite picky about intonation.. (like I would have the perfect intonation on my all horns.. right)

3,364 Posts
Hey! Three takes already! Let's keep this going on. I'm still trying to decide which horn to use on this one..

Ballad state of Mind: First, a great choice of instruments! A nice, dark, haunting and full clarinet sound. Very tasteful playing. Watch the intonation on that Bb-note (it was a bit flat). The intonation on your soprano was very good although it’s a very demanding instrument. A very relaxed feeling (nice background btw!) and overall it was a pleasure listening to your version.

mascio: Very lyrical tenor playing! I love that dark, robust sound of yours. Your high notes were a bit sharp. But that’s just a small thing... But your SOLO! Man.. tasteful and great lines that really did justice to this song! Great work.

fsaxwas9: Yup, those chords are not the easiest ones in this tune, especially those “slash chords” for example Emaj7#4/Eb (in the key of concert C). Could Dave Pollack for example want to “open up” these chord changes for us? I couldn’t find any chord analysis on “Infant Eyes” on the web.

A very solid, centered and strong tenor sound you have there! Although, as you mentioned, this is a hard tune but you still managed to survive, very well done ;) You have “a good ear” and you play musically because I didn’t hear any major problems with the chord changes in your playing. Solid playing!

And I'm sorry but I'm quite picky about intonation.. (like I would have the perfect intonation on my all horns.. right)
I know.
PS. What I mean is. No need to watch it, because I know.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice full sound on clarinet. Soprano control was great and the improv very well done. Also, nice recording job. Liked it a lot.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mascio: I like your modern sound which fits the tune nicely. You came up with some neat patterns that worked well with that sound. Enjoyed your playing once again.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When you get more familiar with the changes it will flow nicely. You have the right sentiment & feeling behind the tune and it comes through. You might try using subtone in the low notes & check out their intonation. Good start and I really would like to hear you again. I don't think it's beyond your abilities.

·
3,303 Posts

Thank you for your comments. You are of course correct, my pitch is a constant problem. i will keep working on it. i think it is helpful when others mention it to me because it reminds me that it is noticeable and i must always try to be more careful. You picked a great composition that will push us all to get a little better.

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
Ballad state of mind - nice hearing a clarinet, not expected and I like the unexpected using an instrument not normally used, lifts when the soprano kicks in like shade and light between the 2 instruments, nice contrast.

mascio - smokey tone and old school slightly faster vibrato feel, in keeping with the original but a slight modern edge underneath, in your solo I felt you were more underlining the changes instead of finding a melodic path through them but it still worked well and I understand as they are not the easiest to play over and unusual to a regular standard.

fsaxwas9 - definately a nice more raw feel to the tone with a crisp tone, maybe you could of used subtone on some of the lower notes especially at the end to mix it up but it still works fine and underlines your style on this tune.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts