Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very grateful to dexdex for giving me the opportunity to choose December 2011's TOTM.
After some consideration I have decided to choose that most standard of all standards, All of Me.
Although a work horse song of many traditional jazz bands, I have always found it a deceptively tricky tune, especially in it's traditional key of C concert.
It also seems to be one of those tunes that many musicians (IMO wrongly) look at with some disdain and think of as a 'beginners' tune or simple in some way. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have always struggled with this song so it is a nice excuse for me to spend some time working on it.

It works well as both a medium and up-tempo swinger.

Hope you enjoy!

(p.s. apologies for the premature posting... I know we are not even in December yet.)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Another nice call, should be good...

On a side note, I've always enjoyed one of its contrafacts, Warne Marsh's Background Music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Speaking of beginners, I often begin restaurant/bar/apero gigs with that number. It is a good opener, gently swinging, everyone knows.
Thanks for taking over ! :bluewink:

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Took a few minutes off today to blow on this month's tune. Sorry for the early entry, but probably won't be playing much for a while. Had about 10 choruses of backing track queued and was only rolling tape to hear what I sounded like...always did enjoy playing this one, has been quite a while since I played it.

Somewhere towards the end of my only take, my 5 year old came in standing right next to me...always a good concentration exercise I actually kept playing a while after that!

A Lot of Me

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There's a JA track somewhere for this...mine was a quickie BIAB track. Think i have that with me, maybe I can u/l later...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fsaxwas9 and The Martin Alto. Sounding good.

I've been listening to how some of the masters play this tune. There are a couple of great versions by Illinois Jacquet. A nice one with Bird and Lennie Tristano. Prez and Teddy Wilson. All worth checking out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Ahh man I gotta do one of these up. One of my Favorite standards.

Fsaxwas9. Really like the phrasing and how you're playing in the style.

Recording quality sounds a little low. How were you putting your sax and backing track together?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,120 Posts
Gosh, with that B3 backing, it just plays by itself... + Mr Jacquet burning. He sounds like our PeeBee. Yeeaaaaah ! (speaking of the JdF video).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Seeings how it's not even Dec!!! What's up with that?? can't seem to keep a good RC up for a month?

anyway, I had a stab at this one... it took me a while to get this one. It really is a tricky tune... Sorry for the crappy recording. it is all I could get together at the time (and with some added family background noise). I've been listening to most of the other takes (Nov. RC) but really haven't had much more time than just listening.

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah

ps. this is the iReal book app for the android phone w/ the recently added 2/3 and 3/2 Son Montuno.(yay!! nice app) i think this one is 2/3 Son Montuno

pss. Thanks for posting the Lee Konitz take.... that's some beautiful playing

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Gosh, with that B3 backing, it just plays by itself... + Mr Jacquet burning. He sounds like our PeeBee. Yeeaaaaah ! (speaking of the JdF video).
Hmm, I guess Mr. Jacquet wouldn't be too happy with that statement Dex :bluewink:. But I am :)!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
On the key thing: Lester is playing tenor D (C), Hodges and Parker alto F (Ab).

I love this tune. I really need to get myself a mic and someone with a bit of technical expertise and join in..

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the key thing: Lester is playing tenor D (C), Hodges and Parker alto F (Ab).

I love this tune. I really need to get myself a mic and someone with a bit of technical expertise and join in..
Here is a version by Lee Konitz playing it in Ab and on Tenor!!!

It works very well in Ab. The melody seems to fit well on tenor in that key. Although playing in C is more of a challenge.

Regarding a mic; I use a zoom recorder. They are relatively cheap and very easy to use. Mine has a camera as well so it is very handy.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I have a great version by Lee Konitz playing it in Ab on Tenor!!! .
I just worked through the chords in Ab (by which I only mean I played the chord tones really :)). That's nice until the final 8 where you get Db6, F#7, Abmaj7, F7, Bb7, Eb7, Ab, Ab.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts