Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New month, fresh start! So the thread lasts the full month, and the mods aren't burdened with clean-up duties, let's keep it all about the music on this thread folks!

I forget who called it, but we've established that the August TOTM will be "Very Early" by Bill Evans.... a tricky one to be sure, and I've never heard it voiced with a sax, so this should be fun!

Here's a few YouTube links for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fhd689Pwak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHH-lmhjayM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSONVptN5qM

The backing is available on Aebersold Volume 45 "Bill Evans", Track number 6.

The chart is in the Real Book volume 1, page 443.

Looking forward to hearing some interesting takes!

Cheers,

Pete

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Sounds like a great tune for the next TOTM! I hadn't heard it before, but it doesn't seem too hard, and could make for some interesting takes! I'll get started asap :).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
I played through it yesterday. It's a favorite tune of a keyboard player I irregularly play with. I don't think it's so easy!

However, I've usually played it on alto.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
It's one of those tunes when you look at the chart and think it can't be that hard. But, it's deceptively difficult. There's a bunch of guitar versions out there. I think I'll try both guitar and alto on this.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Wow, you're right. This tune is very deceptively difficult. I never figured it'd be that hard to time quarter notes and half notes :). Its played a lot more loosely than its written, thats for sure.

I'm going to have trouble making this one sound good......

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Nice decisive start to the month. Never heard this one. Don't have it either so it will have to be an 'ear adventure'! Sounds quite tricky to pick out the melody from the improvisation though. Third youtube is lovely playing, clearer melody.
Moving house on Wed, hope I have time to have a go. I do get up very early...........:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1pXadR0HE&feature=related
I see some timing chasms ahead.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh...............:yikes!:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm totally new at this. If we don't happen to have Aebersold Vol. 45 in our book, how can we get the chart and backing track? Really asking in a more general way than just this month's.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
I'm totally new at this. If we don't happen to have Aebersold Vol. 45 in our book, how can we get the chart and backing track? Really asking in a more general way than just this month's.
Most of use some kind of "play along" Jamey Aebersold or other wise, or some kind of Band in a box type thing.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Thanks for setting this up Pete. Index is here, waiting for some content...

·
Registered
818 Posts
New month, fresh start! So the thread lasts the full month, and the mods aren't burdened with clean-up duties, let's keep it all about the music on this thread folks!

I forget who called it, but we've established that the August TOTM will be "Very Early" by Bill Evans.... a tricky one to be sure, and I've never heard it voiced with a sax, so this should be fun!

Here's a few YouTube links for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fhd689Pwak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHH-lmhjayM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSONVptN5qM

The backing is available on Aebersold Volume 45 "Bill Evans", Track number 6.

The chart is in the Real Book volume 1, page 443.

Looking forward to hearing some interesting takes!

Cheers,

Pete
Oh.. ****e.. i never heard the Bill Evans version.... that is burnin' .. thanks Pete.. (i think!)

still listening...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,303 Posts
Beautiful take Paul. For me, you really capture essence of the tune. The vibe is perfect. i could listen to it over and over. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
Listening to a couple of the guitar versions, it sounds like it's classical music to me..

EDIT> Listened to phannah -VERY NICE! Doesn't sound like classical there..LOVE your tone/ability

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Well, I took my horn in to work today because I've got a rehearsal for a gig this afternoon. So, once more with the reverb of the old Amsterdam wood of our work place, here is

Too Early?

I certainly don't 'own' the tune yet - it's a trick to get out of endless II-V cascading. This recording was the third one (and the third time I played it). Reading from score while improvising makes it sort of artificial sounding. And oh, those pesky high f#'s just refused to display themselves...

Reine

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, I took my horn in to work today because I've got a rehearsal for a gig this afternoon. So, once more with the reverb of the old Amsterdam wood of our work place, here is

Too Early?

I certainly don't 'own' the tune yet - it's a trick to get out of endless II-V cascading. This recording was the third one (and the third time I played it). Reading from score while improvising makes it sort of artificial sounding. And oh, those pesky high f#'s just refused to display themselves...

Reine
Thanks Mascio, ATrain and Reine... I love Bill's music. i think it is very adaptable to the sax..

Yeah Reine.. you got chops girl!! I lost you a little on the form but it really sounded great. What is your alto set-up? me likey!!

I did an alto version if any one is interested I'll post that to my soundclick files. (probably tomorrow.. I actually have a gig tonite! go figure)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Dammit, did I lose the form? I'll have to listen back. Losing the form is something that keeps haunting me. I would be partial to good pointers to practise this. Thanks for the kind words though. I'm quite happy with my current set up: a Carlsbad Brilhart Ebolin 3* that I bought of a SOTW member and Rigotti Gold 3 1/2 reeds - Classic Cut, which means thay they're really stiff little things. It works great with this small tipped mouthpiece (it also has an extremely short lay). The result is surprisingly loud, but controllable. On the Zephyr it seems to balance well. Altissimo is something that I need to work on with this set up.

Please put up your alto take - love to hear it. I wish you the best with your gig!

Reine

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
New rule: Paul Hannah must wait until some of us hacks go before he can post. :D

Well, this recovery from surgery is taking FAR longer than anticipated, and I've decided to bully myself through the process. Thanks for picking an absolute sack crusher for August. I was barely able to arpeggiate my way through this, and hope to work it into something respectful by the end of the month, but here's my take on it. Please listen to Paul AFTER this. ;)

Paul you were killing that turnaround, some nice, loping phrases -- beautiful.

If you can find it, check out Charles Lloyd's take from Montreaux, 1982.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts