Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy August! I'm guessing many of us (including myself) are in full SUMMER mode right now, so I chose a tune that is fun to play without too much "heavy lifting". This month's tune is another Horace Silver classic, "The Jody Grind" from the Blue Note album of the same name. It's kind of a groovy blues with some altered dominant chords thrown in for a twist. The melody is similar in that it is based on classic blues/R&B language with an angular/intervallic phrase thrown in at the "V7" chord. This tune is really fun to play no matter what level you may be at so I hope we get LOTS of contributions this month!

First things first, here is a link to the things you'll need to get started. The link below will give you lead sheets in C, Bb, and Eb as well as a Jamey Aebersold play along.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/88ev6ww18y826i6/AAB1DWguIjtniebVCNje_q7ua?dl=0

Next, here are some videos for inspiration!

The classic Horace Silver version...

The incredible Danny Janklow with his group live...

Bari sax virtuosity from the great Ronnie Cuber...

and finally Bob Malach changing things up in this live trio version. Notice how he slows the tempo WAY down, giving the song a kind of "Miles Davis late 60's" feel ...

Ready .... set ..... GO!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yes, great choice for a relaxed groovin summer recording session! Now I have to learn tap dance....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
Re: SOTW TOTM for Augyst 2019 - The Jody Grind

LOVE this tune, I will definitely participate soon.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hello sotw, hello David,

great choice, so tasteful and yeah - it really fits the feel of the current season (around 40 °C here).
Here's my attempt on flute... :nike:
Looking forward to all upcoming versions!

The Jody Grind

·
Registered
660 Posts
My recording possibilities are kind of non existing since quite a while, which obviously sucks.

Recently I bought a Roland Aerophone, mainly for the purpose of being able to practice at home.
roland-ae10g-aerophone.jpg
This is in no way a substitute for a real saxophone, but atleast it's suitable for practising concepts. The saxophone sounds are truly horrible, So I mainly try some things with the synth-sounds it has onboard.
Nice thing about the Aerophone is that it has an audio-out, so that makes recording extremely easy without disturbing the family/pets/neighbours.

It's a quircky thing though, and there's quite some getting used to it. Especially controlling the dynamics are a challenge if you're used to the analog feel of a real horn.
I'm a bit hesitant to share this take, but I'll do it anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2igiwpq8cyajvg3/Jody Grind Aerophone.mp3?dl=0

or

https://app.box.com/s/l8v46mcqke258t701htappdutwd0f934

or

https://soundcloud.com/arno-van-emmerik/jody-grind-aerophone/s-qIZWQ

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm glad you did - that was awesome !
Loved it all, especially the ultra low note around 3:35. :mrgreen:
Thanks Brendan! With octaves keys down and two up, plus an extra pitchbend joystick which can be configured to a whole octave up and down, there is quite a range. Not easy to work with if yo're used to only one key though ;)

Are you bringing out the Big Horn?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Nice take. Like how you take you're time in the solo with the well placed short notes.

Was it a long walk from the record-button to the microphone? :mrgreen:
Thanks for the nice word :)

Added the pic that will help you to identify the exact distance from the mic to record button :)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0t68kb42Txh0o7MBrZ1l02IV2O?e=JKazY1

BTW, wonderful "Round..." take...
I thought about digital sax... is the sound of this roland thingy from it is own module? I guess good sound module may provide more interesting stuff...
Is it comfy to play on it?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
He-he... thx Brendan

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sigh ... just waiting for a "recording window". You know, no brutal summer heat and the wife out of the house.
(Yet, if she's out that usually means she's spending money ... it's a catch 22 !! :bluewink: :mrgreen: )
And then, if she leaves the house, what are you going to do? So many choices :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
I thought about digital sax... is the sound of this roland thingy from it is own module? I guess good sound module may provide more interesting stuff...
Is it comfy to play on it?
It actually pretty easy to play. Maybe not straight out the box, there are numerous settings which can be intimidating at first, but it's actually not that difficult once you understand the basics.

The sound I used is an altered version of one of the standard syth-sounds it has onboard. There's also an app to which you can download the whole content of the instrument, tune a sound to your liking, and then upload it back to 1 of 100 empty user slots.

Sound modules are definetly an option, so is connecting it to a computer via USB. But that's a whole other topic, and I'm not sure if I want to go that direction. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts