Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,310 Posts
Ok I did a take warts and all , so busy at the moment but it's great to try and be a part of this - it's the only gig I get !
So many inspiring takes already this month

https://soundcloud.com/davidwright-6/wave
Nice Dave. The same excellence that we have learned to expect from you. You really get inside the harmony and your ideas flow from there. Some nice rhythmic ideas too, you are a risk taker, but you know how to land on your feet. Always a pleasure listening to you.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
It's great to hear a variety of skill levels on the ToTM. Those of us on the less advanced levels can learn a trick or two.

Sent from my Moto X 2015 Pure Edition using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Jimmy:

One thing you have a good start on is your use of melody... You're making good note choices and that's something a lot of players don't excel at out of the gate. You're also developing a good warm sound... At times almost Bari sax sounding.

One thing I would suggest is that your approach is mostly scale based and introducing arpeggios to your improvisation. Practice playing the arpeggios as 8th notes at the beginning of each chord....

E-G#-B-D#
C-Eb-Gb-A

All the way through the tune. Don't worry about harmonic extensions yet. The idea is to get the sound of the arpeggios in your ear+brain so that you can begin to include this in your playing.

I have to give you props for your efforts, especially given you are posting along with college instructors, working pros and very advanced players.

Bravo!

·
Registered
Selmer Seri III
516 Posts
Nice job of hosting the "Wave" Mr. John Kotches.

Have been out of town so I could not comment on your feed back in a timely manner.
I posted on the TOTM in order to get the running 'takes' players give regarding phrasing, tone, playing-problems, musical-communication, etc. and as you know, feedback is what's needed if a player is going to project his/hers sound to the world.

Now, regarding the newly overhauled horn. I had my fairly new roo pads swapped out for a set of I-Wish-I-Could-Tell-Yous. I called my repairman to find out the exact name but he is on vacation for a week and so I just can't tell you what they are. The roo pads I had in the horn were ok for a while but then bad things started happening like half-way thru a job the horn would completely crap out and I would have to shove a leak light down the horn and start making adjustments. My repairman said he had a sit down pow-wow with an owner of a nationally recognized music supply company (remembered and recognized name to all but me) and he told my repairman that they were having problems with the roo pads because of the material under the pad skin taking in too much water causing the pad to warp. Now again, I wish I could be more specific on all this but as I stated, my repairman is on vacation - he fixes 'em and I just play 'em. The new pads are beginning to finally seat and now it is almost a joy to play the horn. I also had the spring tension on the keys dialed down. My take is that the Seri III is just different than my MK VI and I really like the difference but one tenor is a MK VI and the other is a Seri III; I love both.

Other things on the horn that some players might care about are: MP=SR Tech old pro model. Tip has been altered to .119. It plays kind of like the old model links (IMHO). Reed was a Plastic Cover 3 1/2 with Oleg ligature.

Backing track was thrown together by me using Cubase with an Electro-Voice S20 Mic. The inserts on my track were: iZotope RX 5 De-reverb (used to deaden my recording room), iZotope Ozone 7 for compression and Ozone 7's Maximizer. Reverb was done by someone else because I can't get the hang of it. EQ was done on the master stereo buss with the CurveEQ matching Vozengo EQ with Eliane Elias' cut "Brazil" from the CD "Made In Brazil" used as the reference EQ. There was a brickwall limiter used on the stereo in buss because I have a tendency to over play and clip on some passages.

Oh ya, I forgot - back to the horn, it is kind of a gold color with real pretty scribbling on it.

Again, Thanks all ya Players!

DDR-> Complexity in the simple details.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Duddly:

I'm way late commenting on your take. My apologies. Nice work.

It was interesting to hear the change over to the swing feeling after the break for the improvisation.

Smoking.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,482 Posts
With only a few days left till September I would like to thank John for hosting this thread in a perfect way :).

The host for September has been assigned (actually also for October, which is a luxury!).

The new thread will be posted soon.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
MrPeeBee,

I benefit more than the little time I've spent in July (Beginner/Intermediate) and August (Main).

Thanks for all who participated and gave some great examples for everyone to enjoy and learn from.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts