Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the staples of the Jazz repertoire by the undisputed heavy weight champion of the Bossa Nova -- AC Jobim. He was an incredibly prolific composer and his Girl From Ipanema is one of the most recorded tunes in Jazz. IMO, there are other equally great tunes from Mr. Jobim, and Wave is one of my favorites.

I am nowhere near an authority on Jobim's works, but he does have an interesting way of straying from the standard 8 bar phrasing. The A section of this tune has a 12-bar form, with a "standard" 8-bar form for the bridge. So a chorus is 44 bars in length. It flows naturally, just as Ipanema flows naturally with a 16-bar bridge. The song features very nice major to minor transitions and the syncopation and "shape" of the melody really make this one work for me.

This is straight from the Aebersold Bossa Nova (volume 31). THere's an 8-bar drum intro and the closing is a fade out on a D-7 G7 vamp rather than a solid ending. I'd have preferred a cold ending myself but I don't have time to put it together in Band in a Box.

There are a number of great recorded versions of this, and I'm offering up this leave version of Stan Getz Live in Copenhagen as an exemplar. This is about 5 minutes of pure bossa bliss :)

I managed to dig up Mr. Getz' alto playing counterpart doing a solid rendition of it as well. This is Paul Desmond as an alto exemplar that is filled with Desmond's usual lyricism.

I'm trying to find a really good vocal rendition, but the Sara Vaughan version is just too slow for a proper bossa feel in my opinion, and the Ella Fitzgerald version is not her in her best voice. The Sinatra version is too "easy listening" for my tastes. If anyone knows of a great vocal rendition, by all means put if up for grabs.

So without further ado, here are links to the materials.

Lead sheets:
Concert Lead Sheet (2 pages).

Bb Lead Sheet.

Eb Lead Sheet.

Note that the Bb and Eb lead sheets don't have the closing vamp. After completing the head, you're playing on a concert D-7 / G7 vamp to close out the tune through the fade.

Finally, here's the Playalong track.

I'll be recording this first on soprano, and then later on tenor.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a very quick and dirty recording. Pick up the soprano, play through once, and then record. So it isn't polished to say the least. I'm struggling a little with the horn and middle D is way out of tune, sorry 'bout that. There's a spot where I go very faint, I was checking to see how many choruses in I was. Also, this was without the sheet music, as I'm trying to truly learn this song.

Wave on Soprano.

Equipment:
Martin Handcraft Soprano, Serial 728xx
Selmer Classic Metal G
Selmer 40x Ligature
D'Addario Select Jazz Filed, 2H

I look forward to hearing what others put out for the month on this song. And I'll post later this month on Tenor as well.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice pick John and thanks for the detailed preparation in such a short time :).

I just added this thread to the TOTM main index:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?168268-SOTW-TOTM-(Tune-of-the-Month)-MAIN-THREAD-INDEX-since-November-2009-onwards&p=2491544&viewfull=1#post2491544

By the way, the same tune has been picked as 'Song Of The Month' on the UK saxforum of Pete Thomas:
https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/sotm-august-2016-wave.20135/
Great, now they're going to say the Americans are copying the Brits again ;)

Sent from my Moto X 2015 Pure Edition using Forum Runner

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,478 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,478 Posts
I don't believe the Americans just copy the Brits.... I believe they copy everybody.:bluewink2:
The Japanese of the far West (I have the feeling this thread goes into the wrong direction now!) :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I don't believe the Americans just copy the Brits.... I believe they copy everybody.:bluewink2:
I always had the impression it was the other way around.

Before stirring up a Wave of protests let's just stick to the TOTM.
Great pick, John.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Man, oh man - I've been saying this for years! Take the birth of jazz as an example. Everyone who's in the know knows that jazz was born in Scotland, in the smoke and filth of the haggis joints of lower east Glasgow. Used to call them joints "Haggis Buckets."

Same goes for rap. It emerged from out of Wales, in a town called "Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch." Musicologists propose that this city was the birthplace due in part to the relative ease with which one can find words that rhyme with it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'll be in London in a few hours- any jams going on there this week where some Brits can copy my American jazz? :lol: Also- please let me know of music there that shouldn't be missed in the next few days-

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just happen to have recorded this with my band a few weeks ago- I was on flute- http://sonjahannington.com/track/1060175/wave?autostart=true
You've got a beautiful, rich tone on flute, and impressive technique. You really danced with the head of the tune. I would have liked to hear more improvisation from both you and the guitarist to see where you would have gone with the tune.

I'm curious, did you start off on flute and take on saxophone later?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks John! I started on flute and piano and was corrupted by jazz as a teenager and started playing alto! I play a lot of tenor now. I was sorry to not record anything last month, but this month was easy since I had just recorded this for a demo (that's why solos are short). I listened to your take and you're coming along nicely with the tune- it's this laying back against the more straight Latin rhythm that's challenging I think.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks John! I started on flute and piano and was corrupted by jazz as a teenager and started playing alto! I play a lot of tenor now. I was sorry to not record anything last month, but this month was easy since I had just recorded this for a demo (that's why solos are short). I listened to your take and you're coming along nicely with the tune- it's this laying back against the more straight Latin rhythm that's challenging I think.
I asked the chicken and egg question about flute as a lot of players that picked up flute after saxophone can have a thin/hollow tone which isn't as pleasant to my ear.

Keeping a relaxed, smooth sensation even when the articulation is staccato is definitely something that takes a lot of work.

I have an occasional tendency to play heavier and almost bombastic when improvising and the Jobim library makes me work towards removing that tendency when I don't intentionally want it there. I also like the way the changes fall under the fingers.

3,364 Posts
Man, oh man - I've been saying this for years! Take the birth of jazz as an example. Everyone who's in the know knows that jazz was born in Scotland, in the smoke and filth of the haggis joints of lower east Glasgow. Used to call them joints "Haggis Buckets."

Same goes for rap. It emerged from out of Wales, in a town called "Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch." Musicologists propose that this city was the birthplace due in part to the relative ease with which one can find words that rhyme with it.
No I think your wrong there JPW. Jazz was born in America... Died there too. I think you are getting mixed up with the Telephone and the TV..... Born in Scotland and people are still using them today. The first Rap piece was attributed to
DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.:)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,478 Posts
I wanted to visit that place last year during a short holiday, but I couldn't enter the town because the City-name sign was blocking the entrance road! :bluewink:

1 - 20 of 109 Posts