Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOTW TOTM for April 2020 - This Masquerade

We could all use a little groove in our lives! This is such a great song to listen to and a really fun one to play, and I think it’s accessible for most people. As per Wikipedia:

"This Masquerade" is a song written by American singer and musician*Leon Russell. It was originally recorded in 1972 by Russell for his album*Carney*and as a*B-side*for the album's hit single "Tight Rope". Three years later it was recorded by American singer and guitarist*George Benson, who released it on his 1976 album,*Breezin'. Benson's version became the first big hit of his career.

Here’s that recording:

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder with backing tracks and lead sheets. These tracks (and others) have different length intros (and some none at all) so make sure to listen to the tracks before you play along with them. Also, the rhythms on the lead sheets are just a guide - listen to recordings of the tune to get a feel for the phrasing, rhythms, etc - make it your own! Feel free to use/create your own backing tracks as well!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2j8ue8vq5jh8lj/AADrU8R3D2zS2znwsUNZNCYfa?dl=0

As host of the month it’s important for me to jump in right away, so here’s my take on it from a recent video. As per the pinned comment on the video, I’ve had the mask and used it long before making this video, and will continue to use it for it’s intended purpose after. I didn’t buy it recently, and didn’t buy it for this video. Enjoy!

I hope to hear lots of versions this month, and I hope you have fun listening, recording, and participating in the discussion!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
I have an old quick and dirty (without much preparation) recording to share from August 2016:

- 'This Masquerade' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13429942

No option for practice or recording anymore, so I won't be able to make a new take.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an old quick and dirty (without much preparation) recording to share from August 2016:

- 'This Masquerade' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13429942

No option for practice or recording anymore, so I won't be able to make a new take.
Thanks for jumping in so early! I always love that big breathy sound you have - can make any tune just seem cool. Even when the intensity builds you don’t lose the sound - not an easy thing to do! Sorry to hear you can’t practice or record- hopefully when this craziness is in the past you’ll get to play with that big band again!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
Thanks for jumping in so early! I always love that big breathy sound you have - can make any tune just seem cool. Even when the intensity builds you don’t lose the sound - not an easy thing to do! Sorry to hear you can’t practice or record- hopefully when this craziness is in the past you’ll get to play with that big band again!
Thanks Dave. :)

Indeed no playing at all for me at this moment (I can't play at home and Big Band rehearsals have stopped since weeks and I don't see them starting soon). For me the impact is not that big (as hobby musician), but for professionals like you and others the impact is for sure much bigger. Let's hope we all stay save and healthy awaiting for better times.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
You've managed to capture the spirit of the tune .. and condense it down to a single moment ... at 1:55. :bluewink:
And what about 2:25? :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,552 Posts
This is with a very good guitarist in san fran and he recorded mixed it K

Attachments

·
5,552 Posts
I love your tone and phrasing. You should always play with a mask . I assume those are your gloved hands putting blues into the song K
SOTW TOTM for April 2020 - This Masquerade

We could all use a little groove in our lives! This is such a great song to listen to and a really fun one to play, and I think it’s accessible for most people. As per Wikipedia:

"This Masquerade" is a song written by American singer and musician*Leon Russell. It was originally recorded in 1972 by Russell for his album*Carney*and as a*B-side*for the album's hit single "Tight Rope". Three years later it was recorded by American singer and guitarist*George Benson, who released it on his 1976 album,*Breezin'. Benson's version became the first big hit of his career.

Here’s that recording:

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder with backing tracks and lead sheets. These tracks (and others) have different length intros (and some none at all) so make sure to listen to the tracks before you play along with them. Also, the rhythms on the lead sheets are just a guide - listen to recordings of the tune to get a feel for the phrasing, rhythms, etc - make it your own! Feel free to use/create your own backing tracks as well!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2j8ue8vq5jh8lj/AADrU8R3D2zS2znwsUNZNCYfa?dl=0

As host of the month it’s important for me to jump in right away, so here’s my take on it from a recent video. As per the pinned comment on the video, I’ve had the mask and used it long before making this video, and will continue to use it for it’s intended purpose after. I didn’t buy it recently, and didn’t buy it for this video. Enjoy!

I hope to hear lots of versions this month, and I hope you have fun listening, recording, and participating in the discussion!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You've managed to capture the spirit of the tune .. and condense it down to a single moment ... at 1:55.
I was really waiting for that moment to come and laughed out loud. Very funny, but this honk ain't the spirit of Peters track. Very bluesy and nice in fact. Waiting for your track, brendan:mrgreen:

Dave - so groovy and fun to listen!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Listened to your tracks Keith and liked them both (the groovy one even a bit better). Same guitar player?

·
5,552 Posts
Listened to your tracks Keith and liked them both (the groovy one even a bit better). Same guitar player?
No the first track was an un mixed track from my CD and the second was a buddy who played guitar/recorded/mixed and then sent me the track. He moved out of country or I'd have pestered him to do more work Thanks for listening K

·
5,552 Posts
Targagot, I like your cut. I feel like its 1955 and I"m hearning that on the radio on a bossa nova type radio station. Your vibratio and inflections bring that to mind. cool K

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
:love2:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
1 - 20 of 101 Posts