Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great choice. A bit of nostalgia just kicked in - I was only six years old when the tune was written, but my parents loved it and my dad was constantly singing it along with the radio while I tried to pick out the melody on our piano.

I have never played it on sax, but look forward to giving it a shot this month!

Also, a very expressive and soulful rendition by Stan Getz in 1990 can be heard on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxD0ILRitTc

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
My take: Getz #1, Rollins #2, Parker #3...Bari Sax Guy #102,300

After initializing the above post, I listened to the original Loesser recording.
The Getz version is the one that seems to incorporate the spirit/style of the original.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I skipped all the versions of the greats - so I could be the first to upload...

This tenor take is with my new robusto 7 mouthpiece and a medir 3 reed from spain/catalonia, which were in the bostbox yesterday. What a difference a reed (or a reed/mpc combi) makes! It feels for the first time on tenor that I'm not fighting the material - only the changes:bluewink:

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/on-a-slow-boat-to-china-tenor

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Someone quasi-famous once told me to play more phrases and fewer scales ... now that's a slooow boat to China !! :bluewink:
A one take abomination, still not fast enough to beat Taragot and his tasty phrasing !

Maybe the long winded run-on sentence solo will morph into a conversation by the end of the month. :mrgreen:

My horn's not made in China

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hey Brendan,
very nice track! I like very much how melodic and natural you play over the changes. Very lyrical approach, too!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts

This tenor take is with my new robusto 7 mouthpiece and a medir 3 reed from spain/catalonia, which were in the bostbox yesterday. What a difference a reed (or a reed/mpc combi) makes! It feels for the first time on tenor that I'm not fighting the material - only the changes:bluewink:

Taragot, really nice build up of your solo, played with a good drive and swing. Also loved the sound from your Robusto in the lower and middle, the higher register sounded a bit thin in this recording. Very enjoyable take overall. :)

Someone quasi-famous once told me to play more phrases and fewer scales ... now that's a slooow boat to China !! :bluewink:
A one take abomination, still not fast enough to beat Taragot and his tasty phrasing !

Maybe the long winded run-on sentence solo will morph into a conversation by the end of the month. :mrgreen:

Brendan, really nice take. Loved how your stated the theme, very relaxed and nice lines. Solo also very fluent and nice melodic lines with much more variation in timing compared to some years ago. Small advice could be too leave some more space between phrased and to also try not to bind the notes in a phrase too much, using some tonging in between is a nice way to vary the longer lines a bit more. But overall also a very nice take. :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Small advice could be to leave some more space between phrases
Ha ! I was thinking the same thing while driving today, with the wife yammering away non-stop in my ear ! :evil:

.... please ... just 5 minutes of peace and quiet ... :bluewink:

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Very nice job on the theme. Good Jazz feel. A nice moment around 2:50-55.
Even though this song doesn't really change keys, there are some non diatonic chord tones that want to be addressed. Keep practicing running the changes so that those chord tones that are outside of the key start showing up in your improv.

A very enjoyable take to be sure.

PS. Who needs great takes by the masters, we have TOTM :bluewink:

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

As always Brendan, great sound. i agree that perhaps a little more space would be good, but there is no big problem. i would like to hear you arpeggiate changes every now and then and maybe reference the melody every once in a while too - just to give a cohesive feeling to your improv.

You sound good so keep on.

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts
Ha ! I was thinking the same thing while driving today, with the wife yammering away non-stop in my ear ! :evil:

.... please ... just 5 minutes of peace and quiet ... :bluewink:
I recognize something in that! :bluewink:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Taragot - nice take and ideas .... your setup sounds almost TOO easy for you to play! Curious if you've tried the next strength up of reed? It might still feel effortless but give you a little more to push against in the upper register.

Brandon - great sound .... I agree that more space could make your ideas more impactful. It's funny how we saxophone players all seem to want to be guitar players and play nonstop ideas. Stopping to listen and breathe seems easy but it's so hard to do when we're in the heat of battle!

Anyway, this is a great tune and I love Sonny's version! I can't say I've ever played this tune before, although I did learn Sonny's solo on it a few years ago and have always meant to learn this tune. The chord changes don't always go where my ear wants them to go so I may need to spend more time on this one, but here's my first take:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13862031

1 - 20 of 69 Posts