Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thelonious Sphere Monk was an unmistakable great on both his instrument and as a composer. His compositions have been recorded more times than any other composer except Duke Ellington, even though the number of tunes he wrote was somewhere around 70.

Among the tunes that have become standards are:
Straight No Chaser
Blue Monk
'Round Midnight
Ruby My Dear
Well You Needn't
Epistrophy

And the April TotM, In walked Bud, which is a contrafact of Irving Berlin's Blue Skies. It features his angular lines in the A sections, with a contrasting bluesy feel to the B section. Typically performed in F minor. The A section has a chromatic descending harmony line, this is in Bb since I'm a tenor player and it's too early for me to transpose: G-6 (G), G- maj 7 (F#), G-7 (F), C7 (E), F7 (Eb), Bbmaj7 (D), then a repeat of the ii-V-I in Bbmaj.

32 Bars in traditional AABA form.

Here are some example recordings....

Carmen sings Monk:
https://youtu.be/CxdEYbMuA8s

This was a live performance, with a Killer bass solo by George Mraz in my opinion. Not that Charlie Rouse sucks by any stretch of the imagination.

Johnny Griffin, with the composer circa 1958:
https://youtu.be/rLwZ0QnwUBg

Shows off a little altissimo and demonstrates his command of the instrument.

Toots Thielemans, with an unknown group swinging the heck out of this on harmonica:
https://youtu.be/d_0Pmp3FAbg

The late Mr Thielemans was a master of three instruments; harmonica, whistling and guitar.

Materials will be in my next post.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Attached now are the lead sheets.

Here's the lead sheet for Eb instruments: View attachment in-walked-bud-Lead-Sheet-Eb.pdf

The lead sheet for Bb instruments: View attachment in-walked-bud-Lead-Sheet-Bb.pdf

And concert pitch: View attachment in-walked-bud-Lead-Sheet-C.pdf

Downloadable Practice tracks to follow :) In the near term, this is a link to a YouTube practice track. I will generate a few practice tracks when I'm home and can easily access Band in a Box. I'd upload the Aebersold track, but that track really speeds up. It starts around 160 and it ends much faster.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I apologize, I had myself a little over-committed and I am just now getting the backing tracks posted. Generated with Band in a Box (I need to upgrade for new features). I've generated these tracks at 140, 160, 180 and 200bpm. If you want something faster or slower, you can ask me, or generate your own if you have Band in a Box with the provided file.

Here are the links, and they've all been verified:

In Walked Bud @ 140 bpm, 5 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 160 bpm, 5 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 180 bpm, 6 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 200 bpm, 6 choruses.

And if anyone wants to render their own:
Band in a Box file.

Enjoy everyone!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get a recording done tomorrow, probably early afternoon. I hope to hear some really good stuff on this tune :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts
I apologize, I had myself a little over-committed and I am just now getting the backing tracks posted. Generated with Band in a Box (I need to upgrade for new features). I've generated these tracks at 140, 160, 180 and 200bpm. If you want something faster or slower, you can ask me, or generate your own if you have Band in a Box with the provided file.

Here are the links, and they've all been verified:

In Walked Bud @ 140 bpm, 5 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 160 bpm, 5 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 180 bpm, 6 choruses.
In Walked Bud @ 200 bpm, 6 choruses.

And if anyone wants to render their own:
Band in a Box file.

Enjoy everyone!
No need to apologize and thanks for the backings John :).

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Just got my 10M back this weekend from a killer overhaul from Adam Montminy at Maine Saxes here in Portland. Huge brass resonators, nice open key action, and this thing feels AMAZING. Downside is that I've been practicing classical alto for the last month so tenor chops are rusty, but hoping to put in some serious tenor time this month! Here's a take from this morning to get things kicked off.....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13553028

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Just got my 10M back this weekend from a killer overhaul from Adam Montminy at Maine Saxes here in Portland. Huge brass resonators, nice open key action, and this thing feels AMAZING. Downside is that I've been practicing classical alto for the last month so tenor chops are rusty, but hoping to put in some serious tenor time this month! Here's a take from this morning to get things kicked off.....

Yeah man! Me likey! ;-)
So what's the mouthpiece thingy? Inquiring mind needs to know!

J.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Rest of the setup is a rubber Navarro Bop Boy 7**, Ishimori ligature, and Jazz Select 3M unfiled reeds.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

What a sound! I think I need to have Mr. Montminy do my overhaul-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
That's really nice, Mister Wells — I think you squeezed some Charlie Rouse out of that setup!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Wells:

Thanks. Garage Band was crashing on me last night so I couldn't upload a mediocre interpretation.

Hopefully in another hour or two.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I did not listen to dtwells before recording this. I didn't want to set my brain up mentally for failure. I should take my own advice and play at the slower tempo ;)

In Walked Bud - Tenor.

I think I'm going to do regular TotM on tenor and B/I on soprano from now on.

FWIW, I think this is the first full recording uploaded with the new to me PhilTone Mosaic. It is a far better mouthpiece than I am a player. I'm finding that it is getting closer to the sound I'm looking for which is the West Coast / Cool tones of Marsh, Getz, Sims et al.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I'm listening to Mr Wells' track after I recorded mine. Tone is big and vibrant... I like the way this sounds for you. I really have to work on smoothing out my articulation... I sound a bit stilted instead of smooth on my swing feel.

You also used the full range of your horn with seemingly no effort. Wish I had the physical command of the horn you do so I could do a better job of getting the sounds I hear in my mind out through the instrument.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You also used the full range of your horn with seemingly no effort. Wish I had the physical command of the horn you do so I could do a better job of getting the sounds I hear in my mind out through the instrument.
Yeah, man. I know what you mean! I also listened to David's great take. Good for you to give this tune a try. I enjoyed listening to your's and the former post. Your post felt, to me, as being in the groove and relaxed. I hope to enter a take on this tune but I haven't got the knowledge or gear to download the play-along tracks, so my post on these totm tunes will either be a capella or with my own little group. Should be able to post something within a week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,518 Posts

Yeaaa buddy! So much energy in your sound...loved it as always!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sandster:

Thanks. I listened to it this morning, and it is better than I gave myself credit for. Thanks for the compliments.

·
8,397 Posts
Just thought I'd post this one up before I listened to the others.
First time playing this tune and first time playing this Bari.
Actually its also the first time I've used a Synthetic G reed also, so a lot of firsts here.
Not the first time I've made a mess of a tune though:bluewink2:
https://app.box.com/s/q9g44pojmj9xpwfidbln8qhf7919ev9l

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@BFlat:

It's better than you give yourself credit for. I'm guilty of that all the time.

You're getting some nice flowing lines going here and there. There was one chorus where you started off (about halfway through) with some really strong lines. Unfortunately, on the Box mobile app they don't have time stamps. Then later in that same chorus you had a string of syncopated quarters that really made for a strong chorus.

Plus I really dig the low register on Baritone and between your setup and playing it is very good!

·
8,397 Posts
@BFlat:

It's better than you give yourself credit for. I'm guilty of that all the time.

You're getting some nice flowing lines going here and there. There was one chorus where you started off (about halfway through) with some really strong lines. Unfortunately, on the Box mobile app they don't have time stamps. Then later in that same chorus you had a string of syncopated quarters that really made for a strong chorus.

Plus I really dig the low register on Baritone and between your setup and playing it is very good!
Thanks Johnn I always appreciate your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts